Parents need some advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello everyone, I feel that my daughter is ready to test out of her level. We live in Nor Cal and honestly I feel that her head coach is suppressing her. I've talked to the coach about what our goals and plans were and she said that it all is possible. If my daughter competes her full season of level 5 is it possible for her to still be in level 6/7 ? I don't know all the rules and regulations but my daughter is amongst the top 100 gymnasts right now and I just feel she is not being supported or challenged enough. I have talked to this coach several times she says that she has all her skills and all of that and that she is ready should I push for a test out or just let her compete her level 5 season and possibly look for another gym. Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance

Do you mean that your daughter is competing level 5 now, in the fall season, and will compete level 6 or 7, in the spring season? Optionals only compete in the spring season, so you would gain nothing by testing out of 5 now.

You say you've spoken to the coach and she seems to be on the same page as you. Can you explain what you you think should be happening differently?

Hello everyone, I feel that my daughter is ready to test out of her level. We live in Nor Cal and honestly I feel that her head coach is suppressing her. I've talked to the coach about what our goals and plans were and she said that it all is possible. If my daughter competes her full season of level 5 is it possible for her to still be in level 6/7 ? I don't know all the rules and regulations but my daughter is amongst the top 100 gymnasts right now and I just feel she is not being supported or challenged enough. I have talked to this coach several times she says that she has all her skills and all of that and that she is ready should I push for a test out or just let her compete her level 5 season and possibly look for another gym. Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance
Yes, the optional season is a different time than the compulsory season. Have seen plenty of girls that finish L5 and then go on to L6 back to back. "Top 100" gymnast means next to nothing at this stage of your gym journey. I would advise keeping that to yourself when talking to potential new programs or coaches. You will come across more as a problem pushy parent than one who is just letting her child do her thing. Does the gym or coach have some type of track record of placing gymnasts in college programs or elite gymnasts? If yes, then just sit tight and trust the coach, if no, I would still sit tight, see how things play out, look at other programs and play more the long game here. She has plenty of time to reach goals.

Yes, the optional season is a different time than the compulsory season. Have seen plenty of girls that finish L5 and then go on to L6 back to back. "Top 100" gymnast means next to nothing at this stage of your gym journey. I would advise keeping that to yourself when talking to potential new programs or coaches. You will come across more as a problem pushy parent than one who is just letting her child do her thing. Does the gym or coach have some type of track record of placing gymnasts in college programs or elite gymnasts? If yes, then just sit tight and trust the coach, if no, I would still sit tight, see how things play out, look at other programs and play more the long game here. She has plenty of time to reach goals.
I came for advice here because this would never be my approach to another gym as they can see all my daughters scores themselves so i don't have to ever mention that. I do understand however that team accomplishments are not viewed as next to anything but of course they lead to success in the upper levels as well. The reason for the question is because I see that others in her level have "tested out" and when asked I don't get a clear answer as to what my daughter specifically is missing. Please share other than meet scores and her already executing level 6/7 and on bars 8 skills, do I communicate as a parent to a coach that doesn't acknowledge any of those things
Do you mean that your daughter is competing level 5 now, in the fall season, and will compete level 6 or 7, in the spring season? Optionals only compete in the spring season, so you would gain nothing by testing out of 5 now.

You say you've spoken to the coach and she seems to be on the same page as you. Can you explain what you you think should be happening differently?
Simply all i wanted to know is that is it normal for her to be the only one that is competing level 5 and all the rest of her team has did one meet to test out. The reason I mentioned her status is because she has already learned all her 6/7 skills and works on 8 skills in bars. But the head coach has not made it clear to me why she is the only one not being offered to test out. Again I don't know much about the sport and am trying to educate myself on this. I saw a comment below saying that in level 5 scores don't matter so what does matter? I have asked the Head Coach and her only response is "I don't work directly with her so I will have to pay more attention"?

I came for advice here because this would never be my approach to another gym as they can see all my daughters scores themselves so i don't have to ever mention that. I do understand however that team accomplishments are not viewed as next to anything but of course they lead to success in the upper levels as well. The reason for the question is because I see that others in her level have "tested out" and when asked I don't get a clear answer as to what my daughter specifically is missing. Please share other than meet scores and her already executing level 6/7 and on bars 8 skills, do I communicate as a parent to a coach that doesn't acknowledge any of those things

Simply all i wanted to know is that is it normal for her to be the only one that is competing level 5 and all the rest of her team has did one meet to test out. The reason I mentioned her status is because she has already learned all her 6/7 skills and works on 8 skills in bars. But the head coach has not made it clear to me why she is the only one not being offered to test out. Again I don't know much about the sport and am trying to educate myself on this. I saw a comment below saying that in level 5 scores don't matter so what does matter? I have asked the Head Coach and her only response is "I don't work directly with her so I will have to pay more attention"?
How old is your daughter? What is her/your goal for her? College scholarship, international elite, olympics? Assuming she is in the traditional age range of a level 5-6 then to answer your question, yes. Yes it is normal or at least not extraordinary for your daughter to be competing level 5 and the rest of her team to test out. It doesn't mean she is not getting attention from coaches, it doesn't mean she is wasting her potential. You do make somewhat of a contradiction. On one hand you say she is doing L8 bar skills and all 6/7 skills, but on the other you say you don't know much about the sport and are trying to educate yourself. Knowing specific skills for different levels is next level knowledge for a parent. Now maybe your child has told you she has done these things. But I would caution that doing a skill once, with poor form, heavy spotting etc does not mean skill attainment or proficiency in a skill.

At this age, there is a wide variability of performance of girls, some are late bloomers and come on strong at higher levels, others are early bloomers, but fade out at higher levels, still others are on a consistent upward trend. Given the wide range, I would not see your coaches actions as exceptional. Nor would I be particularly concerned (again assuming she falls in the average age range, you haven't told us any specific information) about doing 5 and then going on to 6 or 7. Of course at the end of the day, you have to do what you feel is best for your child. All I am trying to say is that at this age, your coach is right, all the long-term goals are attainable (except maybe olympics) given a generic situation of an athlete at L5. I totally understand the group think panic that happens in parent observation rooms when the chatter happens and then you start wondering if your child is being left behind or why are they not doing X,Y,and Z like the others are. Unless there are other extenuating circumstances that you haven't shared, just listen to coach and maybe stay away from parent room.

Reactions: cmg
How old is your daughter? What is her/your goal for her? College scholarship, international elite, olympics? Assuming she is in the traditional age range of a level 5-6 then to answer your question, yes. Yes it is normal or at least not extraordinary for your daughter to be competing level 5 and the rest of her team to test out. It doesn't mean she is not getting attention from coaches, it doesn't mean she is wasting her potential. You do make somewhat of a contradiction. On one hand you say she is doing L8 bar skills and all 6/7 skills, but on the other you say you don't know much about the sport and are trying to educate yourself. Knowing specific skills for different levels is next level knowledge for a parent. Now maybe your child has told you she has done these things. But I would caution that doing a skill once, with poor form, heavy spotting etc does not mean skill attainment or proficiency in a skill.

At this age, there is a wide variability of performance of girls, some are late bloomers and come on strong at higher levels, others are early bloomers, but fade out at higher levels, still others are on a consistent upward trend. Given the wide range, I would not see your coaches actions as exceptional. Nor would I be particularly concerned (again assuming she falls in the average age range, you haven't told us any specific information) about doing 5 and then going on to 6 or 7. Of course at the end of the day, you have to do what you feel is best for your child. All I am trying to say is that at this age, your coach is right, all the long-term goals are attainable (except maybe olympics) given a generic situation of an athlete at L5. I totally understand the group think panic that happens in parent observation rooms when the chatter happens and then you start wondering if your child is being left behind or why are they not doing X,Y,and Z like the others are. Unless there are other extenuating circumstances that you haven't shared, just listen to coach and maybe stay away from parent room.

Thank you for your feedback sir

I’m also in NorCal, your daughter can do a double season and compete level 6 or 7 in Jan. But just because your a good compulsory doesn’t mean you will be a good optional. My daughter compulsory scores was extremely low like 33AA stuff. Now levels 7-10 she averages a 38+.

How old is your daughter?
My daughter ended up doing 1.5 seasons of level 4… 2 meets of level 5 and then skipped 6. Did 7 and then 8 and will do level 9 this year. She is 12…
The other girls who moved up to level 5 while she stayed level 4 are still in level 6/7/8.
I am just saying sometimes staying in lower levels and getting those basic skills really solid helps more than rushing through levels sloppily.. and if your daughter is talented and has potential the head coach will notice - if you are at a good gym.

I wouldn’t rush things especially if your daughter is young…. Let her gain those skills and perform them well

A gym has no reason to keep a kid down a level unnecessarily.
I think that's a bit optimistic. Some gyms most definitely will keep a kid down a level if it means that the lower level team will benefit. It's important to keep in mind that a gym is balancing a bunch of competing priorities -- only some of which relate to maximizing the potential of any single kid.

I think that's a bit optimistic. Some gyms most definitely will keep a kid down a level if it means that the lower level team will benefit. It's important to keep in mind that a gym is balancing a bunch of competing priorities -- only some of which relate to maximizing the potential of any single kid.
Is your DD the youngest one or very small? Our gym def held a few kids back from moving to levels 6 and 7 because our gym requires them to do a Yurckenko timer and it was just really hard on their bodies. Or, really, some of the little ones simply couldn't do it well yet and then coaches didn't want them scoring in the 7's on vault when they could score mid-9 on everything else. I remember one girl who is did level 6 in 3rd grade at age 8 and scored in the 7s on every vault that season. Now she is a 12 year old training level 10 who is training HOPES. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I would probably try to speak to the coach (in a meeting, not in passing) about it.

But to @JPC13's point, we've seen it go both ways at our gym based on who is coaching/managing the gym at the time (there has been a lot of turnover that has really exposed us to the full range of coaching preferences!). Historically, they wanted the itty bitties moving quickly - they seemed to get great joy from having the most kids in the youngest age group for optionals. Now, a few years later, they seem to make many kids repeat levels or not skip L4 or L5 but then all score 38+ every meet and capture too many state titles, top 100 ranks, etc. Silly IMO.

Another thing to consider is mental health. I know we are in a similar situation. My daighter is competing level 4 this Fall season and the original plan was for her and her teammates to test out of 5 the beginning of Spring and then compete level 6 in the Spring season. I was just told that my daughter may be competing level 5 in the Spring due to mental health issues. There is a lot more than skills to consider when talking about changing levels.

Every competitive gym wants to boast how many 10 year old level 8s they have and then their college scholarships percentage.

It’s not about the kids potential, its the gym’s reputation.

But I could also see why a gym would keep a kid down - they want to place at big meets etc.

Every competitive gym wants to boast how many 10 year old level 8s they have and then their college scholarships percentage.

It’s not about the kids potential, its the gym’s reputation.

But I could also see why a gym would keep a kid down - they want to place at big meets etc.
For sure. Some get fast tracked making min scores at each level ASAP, while others get slow played so you can hang those banners.

I’ll also add that scores at level 4 mean next to nothing about being ready for optionals or not. If your otherwise happy at the gym and they have successful upper level girls then just sit back and trust the process.

Only mom knows what their kids need. It really depends on the age of your child. If it is too young. Some gyms don’t want too much pounding of optional skills on younger gymnasts , younger gymnast’s easily get injured when training high level skills. Some gyms might want better meets result to hold back kids . Some gyms might not too much pounding on young kids .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back