Parents Need the vault fairy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovofu

Proud Parent
My little 6 year old level has a mental block on the springboard for the vault. Excellent run...beautiful flat back but 90% of the time hits the springboard too low and hits the mat. It's gotten to the point she's worried about practice because they might do vault LOL. Last night she messed up her first vault and made herself almost sick crying. She's intense and likes to do things perfectly. She had the vault in her private lesson last Saturday but now lost it again.

advice

fairy???

Thanks

Gymmie Mom:confused:

Does your gym have any carpet squares? They could place one on the board up to the tapeline she should be hitting. Tell her she cannot land on the carpet square.

It will come with time and practice, she is very little. Sending her a vault fairy to make it more fun for her.

Sometimes trying to take the pressure off is so much better than focussing on it all the time.

My DD just turned 7 in July and has struggled with vault for the past year. Vault seems like it is easy, but it is a lot for them to think about. They have to run FAST at a non-moving object, time their jump just right and keep their body in the right position for the whole thing. My DD just started to really figure out the vault. It will come. Mine still hits too low on the vault board sometimes. She had the proper body position for a long time, but it was just the past few months that she started to get the run and hitting the board optimally.

I wouldn't worry too much about it or stress over it. She is really young. Even some of our older girls struggle with it at times. If her coaches are working with her and addressing the issue, I would just tell her to keep working hard, listen to her coaches and it will eventually start to click. It takes a lot of figuring out the timing and eventually knowing when to jump so they hit the board where the springs are.

Hang in there. I know how frustrating it is to watch our kiddos try so hard and not "get it", but they eventually do. :D

It sounds like you have a little girl with pretty big emotions on your hands. I'm sure her drive for perfection will help her develop into a lovely gymnast, but it could be a frustrating road getting there.

I have to agree with Bog on this. Fun is the direction to take. Nothing we say here, or you tell her at home will resolve her temporary vault issue. Focussing on the fun will change her outcome. Thinking longer term, she's not going to get the same pleasure other kids get from gymnastics if she doesn't lower the pressure she puts on herself.

Good luck to her!! I can't wait for an update telling us she's got it!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back