Need tips please. Newbie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nichole

Gymnast
Hello I am a 28 year old female, and I am in shape. I only weigh about 108 too. I have been practicing everyday on my gymnastics mat at home, and I go to a trainer about 2-3 times a month.
I am stuck on the cartwheel and bridge. I can do a handstand, but I am wobbly.
I am not even close to being able to do a round off, the part about getting my two legs straight together in the air is what is throwing me off. I have been doing bridges every single day, and I am not able to kickover to save my life right now. I can however rock back and forth and lift my leg high in the air in the bridge.

Anyways, should I not be practicing every single day? I am worn out through out my body, and I don't know if maybe I am not getting anywhere because I am not letting my body rest....

I am very determined, but tumbling is pretty much the most frustrating thing ever. I want to be able to tumble, and I refuse to give up, but I feel like I am stuck at this point with my abilities. I am thinking about getting more lessons and try for 2 a week.

I started getting serious about tumbling in mid March.
What is the average time span is took you to be able to do a round off?
My dream is to do a front walkover !

First of all, if your body is worn out you need to rest! Many competitive gymnasts don't even practice every day. It took me about a year to get my kickover, I was very frustrated like you are! What really helped me was doing elevated kick overs. You can start by folding up your mat and putting your feet on it and your hands on the ground. Then try to to kickover, it makes it easier because it helps you push your shoulders over your hands. As you master kicking over at one level, keeping remove a layer of the mat until you can eventually do it on the ground. It took me a while to get my round off too, I'm not sure what made it click eventually. Best of luck!

No, don't practice everyday. 1 or 2 days a week is enough for the first levels. Repetitive injuries like stress fractures are more common is you train 6 days every week than 1 or 2 days a week. For your roundoff, practice handstand snapdowns and for getting your legs together, imangine there is a wall just before your hands and end in a handstand in front of that wall. Also practice cartwheel step ins. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back