Need to get my kip on high uneven bar

GYMNASTICS
Parents... Coaches... Judges... Gymnasts...
DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members See FEWER Ads!
Join for FREE!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2009
I reeeeeeeally need to get my kip on high uneven bar! my first meet in in one month.
:bars:
Gymnastics is life... the rest is just details;)

N

nettyinpa

Do you have your low bar kip? I know my dd struggled with the high-bar kip, too and found that if you really swing out after catching the high bar, the momentum helped her get that kip. Just keep practicing, it will come! :) Good Luck!!

Sep 19, 2008
Germany
It's kinda hard to help you without any details on where you're at.

Also, I've actually experienced the opposite -> try to swing with less momentum... kind of drop down into your swing, instead of swinging as you would in a tap. But that pretty much depends on height as well. If you'Re short and have to really jump to catch the high bar you're forced to do a pretty big swing or it'll feel weird.

Oct 20, 2009
replying to both of my replys

I'm sorry I didn't give you any details, I'm in level 5, im 4 feet 11 inches tall and yes I do have my kip on the low bar.
I will try the big swing idea, I go to gymnastics tonight.

Last edited:

Aussie_coach

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Club Owner / Manager
Jan 4, 2008
I agree with grizzoline. Often the reason why the high bar kip isn't working is because there is too powerful a tap swing in front of it. It needs a different type of swing to the long hang pullover or giant.

When you jump to high bar try to keep your feet behind you for longer and dont do a hard tap swing. I have found that many kids have gotten it straight away when they try this.

B

BlairBob

I teach the high bar/uneven high bar kip using what I call a "tap-less" swing. No, this isn't the same thing girls tend to use as their flyaway tap till level 8/9.

Ideally, I want a nice hollow in the back swing and from there it stretches out like a glide swing.

Maybe though, I should have one of my boys try it from a regular tap swing just so he can get up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.