Parents Need Xcel Diamond info!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

e'smum

Proud Parent
My kiddo was ready for lvl 8 after a tough but fairly successful lvl 7. Then, day 1 of practice back after a 2.5 week break... sprained ankle. Started adding back in skills and hurt the other knee. we are headed to the dr on wed to get that checked out b/c it hurts on random stuff - like hurdling into a yurchenko on vault but full on floor doesn't hurt. kinda weird but whatever. she felt like she was getting behind and seems to be a bit overwhelmed with starting 6th grade and TONS of homework. seriously, 3xs as much as my 8th grader had in 6th grade. so we are taking a huge step back and giving xcel diamond a try this week. the goal is to maintain and compete her lvl 8 skills and possibly, move back into JO lvl 8 next summer. we'll see. i'm excited b/c my kid is burnt out and doesn't want to quit but needs a break from the 20.5 hours/5 days a week she was doing in JO (we are going down to only 9 and 3 days/week). i'm thinking she will fall in love with the sport again and get her confidence back. and, it's less money. :)

so now, xcel diamond... i have no clue how it works. what is the score they need to qualify for states? and regionals? she will do a total of 5 regular meets and states and then (hopefully) regionals. so still a busy competitive season.

Can’t hove you any information, but just wanted to say ‘Well done’ on moving her back, reducing the hours and being excited about your girl having a bit of her life back! Good luck, I hope she will love it!

The scores needed for states and regionals will depend on where you are located. Have her coaches had girls switch and then switch back? It’s nuxe the door is open, but the hours don’t seem to lend themselves to going back without feeling as behind as when she left. Good luck to her- I hope she loves it!

The scores needed for states and regionals will depend on where you are located. Have her coaches had girls switch and then switch back? It’s nuxe the door is open, but the hours don’t seem to lend themselves to going back without feeling as behind as when she left. Good luck to her- I hope she loves it!

at this gym they have not had kids move back into JO, but we can easily go to another gym that would take her. she has her lvl 8 skills. she just needs to maintain. and she will have all next summer to get back into the lvl 8 game. IF she wants to. it's not 100% as she's just trying out xcel this coming week but i've a feeling she will go ahead and stay in it. there are gyms in the area that move their girls in and out of xcel/JO. i honestly thought this was coming but next year. i don't know that she will want to go back into JO once she gets a taste of freedom. she's been JO since she was 6 1/2. she's 11. this is all she's really known.

My daughter switched to XCel about a year and a half ago after competing L8 and going through a long, discouraging stretch of injuries. It was a great move for her. She was able to start moving forward again instead of working on frustrating gateway skills to getting L9 requirements. She went from someone who was close to being on the edge of ending her gymnastics career to someone who wants to do club gym in college. A good XCel program can be a great option for girls whose bodies or other interests aren't amenable to the kind of hours you need to be successful at L8 and above. In our state, making it to states is easier scorewise for XCel than for JO. Still not that easy to make it to regionals, and likely to get harder, as XCel is booming.

I would check your state's website and hopefully you can find some of your answers there.

Hope your dd enjoys Xcel! Mine just switched and is loving the sport again.

Since you are from my state, I can answer. :)

For states she just needs compete in one qualifying meet from the master meet schedule, whatever that is. But knowing your gym, she is fine for that. For regionals she needs to qualify in the top % of %, regardless of age group at states. Last year for for diamond, I believe our state sent 15 kids, with a cut off of 37.25. The cut off is different every year, since it is just whatever number they get to send.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back