Needing good luck fairies for the 2011 Buckeye Classic in Columbus, OH

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's that time again, and I hate to ask, but my DGD certainly needs the good luck fairies to send her some lovin' for her meet tomorrow evening. She is struggling with both bars and beam and has not received great scores this year. She totally scratched beam for the first two meets and only actually did all rotations at the last meet. She only has this meet and one more to get her scores for state :( so any well wishers are welcome. Many many thanks to all and also I want to send out good thoughts to all those competing this weekend at, not only the Buckeye Classic, but whatever meet you may be attending. Have a blast and bring home the "bling".:eek:

Thank you Megley, so do I...this is the first year she has struggled this much...she's never one of those that are at the top, but usually is, at the very least, in the mix, but not this year....she is working harder than ever and struggling tremendously, so much so, my heart breaks for her but she just keeps on plugging.

Is this your Level 8 DGD? I am sure it must be a difficult level.

Yes it is. I've always said the level of difficulty is the level at which you struggle...and this has been a rough one. Pirouette on bars and skipping her feet on the floor after, giants that you worry she won't get over...on beam, flight series and currently, full turn, which she had and lost. Gonna be an interesting evening tomorrow after a 4 1/2 hour flight (because of layovers).

Good luck to your DGD. I hope the bars and beam fairies shine down on her and she gets that much desereved AA for states. Please do keep us posted

Well, I'll say thank you all for the well wishes...unfortunately it was another not so great meet for the books although she did get a qualifying score for state...but just barely...33. I guess she should be pleased considering she fell on every event...total 6 falls..yuk! At least that is one less thing to worry about so maybe the next one will be better. Fall on bars (she skips her feet on the floor after her pirouette); 2 falls on beam and over time; fall on floor (too much power on her front pass and went over the white lines); and she wanted to land her vaults but she is working on either a break or pulled tendon (she doesn't want to go to ortho until after season ends so she is trying to be tough) so she rolled out of them. Interesting meet..

Did you really say she is working on a break or a tendon??? I can't believe I saw that. The kid needs looking at ASAP.

Last edited:
Yep..that's what I said. My daughter usually takes the kids right away. Don't really know quite why not this time but it is what it is....one more meet, then state and then I guess we'll find out. I'll keep posted..I guess she is going to get her one of those "lace up " ankle braces to get her thru season. What can I say, both girls lost their last seasons due to breaks, guess DGD doesn't want another season to totally go down the tubes and I know there could be consequences because of it.

Where is the grown up to step in & say " No more. You are going to the doctor."
This is a kid. She will have another season, not another foot/ankle. I know it is hard. I have had to take my DD to the Dr knowing it could be a season ending visit. She was not happy, but I am the parent. It Is my job to take care of her and make decisions that she is not old enough or mature enough to mzkw herself.

I am still gobsmacked a day later. Knowing what I know I can't believe any parents would think it is fine to train and compete on a possible break.

I know you are not the mom and that grandparents can sometimes get the cold shoulder for "giving advice", but really someone needs to say something. Child protective services wouldn't think it was fine, would they?

Missing a season, or two, will not change her life one bit. However suffering long term damage to her body may change her life forever. It's just gymnastics for goodness sake.

Signing off as this is NUTS!

Maybe I should have preempted my first comment with a statement like, my daughter has a tendency to exaggerate a bit but would never keep the children from a doctor because of gymnastics. If that were the case, both the kids would not have missed their last seasons but they did. As the comments have stated, gymnastics is not worth it. But my DGD is definitely having issues with her ankle and it does hurt when she lands hard on it so it is at the very least, overused and iced constantly. If she continues to have problems with it she will be seeing the ortho (as she is on a first name basis with him). Sorry, didn't mean to get such a thread going.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back