Nervous at Competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

KLgym

Gymnast
Just a note, I also posted this on the WAG forum.
Hi guys. I have been a reader on ChalkBucket for a while now, but this is my first time posting a thread. To introduce myself, I am a level 10 gymnast.
The question I need help with is how to handle competitions. I actually have pretty high level skills, and complete them with very nice technique-in practice. The problem, is that when it comes to competitions, I get very nervous. So nervous in fact, it affects my performance, because I am literally shaking. So hard, it causes me to fall off the beam, or mess up a tumbling pass.
If anyone has anything to help, whether it's for during practice, before the meet, or even right before I get on the event, please give me some tips. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

I would try asking your coaches (if you don't already do this) to do pressure sets at practice. This is where you'll go to do a beam routine (or bar/floor routine or even a vault) like you're at a meet. Have your teammates sit around the apparatus and watch you, silently usually, to build pressure like there is at a meet. Salute your coach like they're the judge and then "compete" your routine. If you want, you can have all your teammates give you corrections after, too. We do these at my gym and it really helps for meet nerves, which I've struggled a lot with. Hope I helped!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back