Nervous

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I live in Pennsylvania. This is my first year in gymnastics. I am going to be 13 in a couple months. I am starting this Saturday. I am very nervous that noone my age will be in my class. What should I do if noone is in my class my age? I am reallly nervous about it so if any one has any advice tell!

Liz

Hey there. Good luck! I am a 14-year-old team gymnast competing level 5, and I am the oldest compulsory gymnast by far. I practice with 9 - 11 year olds and sometimes a couple 12s and 13s. Be prepared to be the oldest by several years in your class. It will probably mean that you might feel a bit "alone" in gymnastics, but if you have a good coach and enjoy the sport, you will be fine! I think it's best to learn to relate to young children like a nice big sister or a really good babysitter - don't try to treat them like they're your age, but be nice and helpful and friendly to them.

We have beginner gymnasts at our gym who are in their 20's, they have ablast. We also have girls who started in high school and have gone on to compete. It's never to late to start gym and to enjoy it.

Even if some of the girls are younger than you, you can be a role model to them.

There is a girl i am sorta friends with who is in a rec. class and she is a junior in high school, and she is by far the oldest, but she is a lot better than the others! Don't feel bad if your the oldest, because your older you can take corrections and apply them to your gymnastics easier, so you will probably learn faster than anyone else in the class. But you could not even be the oldest!

If you're anything like me, you'll make friends with them! I've been the team "grandma" since I started competing. I'm 16 now, and I'm still best friends with the girls who are almost 4 years younger than me. Another nice part is that you kind of become the leader. The girls will look up to you. It's a cool position to be in. Don't be worried, go in with a positive attitude and to do gymnastics! :D

(ps... I'm a PA gymnast too! Woo! :D )

Also, most gyms are aware of ages when planning classes. You might be a little older than your classmates, but I highly doubt they will put you with 6 year olds.

Ok I know its great to have someone in your class that is your age but ask yourself are you doing this to make a new buddy or because you want to do gymnastics? If you make a friend great but focus on the reason your taking the class first and the friends will come. When I was young I had lots of friends that were younger than I was and lots that were older. You'll find someone you have something in common with - heck your in a class with a whole group that has gymnastics in common with you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back