Never Gonna Happen

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ever since I started gymnastics, my goal was never Olympics.

Too much pressure.

No. The only thing I ever wanted to do was college gymnastics. I really wanted to do college gymnastics.

There's a nearby college that I'm already looking into {I mean, I'm going into High School, I should start looking...} and they have a REALLY GOOD gymnastics team. I go to their gymnastics camp every year. Their gym is like 100 degrees every day, but...it's amazing. It would have been PERFECT! Great college, great gymnastics team!

Considering the age I began at, college gymnastics was totally possible for me! I could most likely have been in Level 10 by 16 or 17 years of age, giving me an extra year or two to perfect my skills.

But now, when I'm 16/17 I'll most likely be competing Level 5. {Because of the level switch and all. If not for the switch, I would be competing Level 6.}

*sigh*

Oh well, I guess.

Same here. Well, not quite the same actually. :D
I started when I was 5, so it was definitely a possibility. My coaches said I was talented enough, and I was invited to join the team when I was 9. Unfortunately, I might have progressed farther had I gone to a good gym from the get go, but I was at a bad gym for 4 years. And even when I was invited, my parents said no, it was too much money. So now it is not really possible anymore. They said no to college gymnastics from the start, too. They think I can't handle it and all. It is really frustrating for me knowing that I might have been able to do it, but I just never had the opportunity. And also that my parents think they know everything about me and everything I can handle. Um, no, sorry, they don't. Only I know how much I can take. I'm tougher and stronger than they think. Maybe they'd know that if they ever watched me. Oh, wait, they've never watched me practice. Never mind.

Sorry, I just realized I hijacked your thread. Oops! :D

That is really sad. :( I'm sorry.

I feel like that's what my parents think, too. They don't even trust me to pick up a gallon of milk! I'm pretty strong, but they think I'm weak. A gallon of milk isn't that heavy! They don't even think I can cook by myself. I'm smart enough to know how to cook and use appliances! But they don't believe me! *sigh*

My parents never watch me practice, either. My dad just wishes I did soccer and does not care about my dance or gymnastics AT ALL! My mom always drives me to practice and even if she has no idea what the skill is, she's pretty happy for me when I get a new skill, but if I ask her to come to practice and watch with all of the OTHER parents, all I get is a, "No, I'm too tired right now, sorry..." or "I have some errands I have to run."

Haha, no it's fine.

WHOA!!! Guess what I just found out?!

That college has the big "team" but they also have a CLUB that practices multiple times every week, for about 10 hours per week, and it's for any age, any gender, ANY LEVEL, whether you've competed before or not, AND you get to compete against a bunch of other clubs!!! OMG!!!

...I'm not that sad anymore. :D

College! :D It's part of NAIGC...look it up! There's a ton of different colleges all over the country that are part of it!!! :D:D:D

This is mostly to LiveLoveTumble...
My parents are always doubting everything I do. It really frustrates me. If only they could see what I can do. I think that they just assume that I only can do hand stands and cartwheels since they rarely see my real gymnastics...and I always cartwheel and do hand stands in my house:)
Since money is an issue in my house, I looked NAIGC and I'll have to look into that. It sounds really fun! And, there's one near me! Now all I need to do is talk my parents into it!

A lot of schools that have gymnastics teams also have clubs in which they open up the gym to, so that they can also use the facilities and so that those who are not able to make the team have an alternative. That's what the college by you has. What school is it??? Just wondering...

Yep, NAIGC is pretty fun for many college students. They have Nationals every year and it's a blast I'm told.

There is something else besides NAIGC and NCAA but I'm not exactly sure what it is. I don't think it's Div 2 or Div 3 but another organization like NAIGC.

Thing is, the NAIGC isn't big out west but it's pretty big in the central and eastern parts of the US. It is getting teams in Utah and Oregon and Arizona and Washington now. More so as Div 1 program dry up but colleges still have gyms for cheer on campus.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back