New adult gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, everyone!

I'm Kris, and I just signed up for my first gymnastics class in 24 years. I'm 29 and haven't done gym since I was five. I'm really looking forward to my class, although I'm out of shape and totally not flexible, and I'm hoping gym will help with that. I'm really nervous about my first class; I watched the adult class last night and it looked hard, but they weren't total beginners, and Eric Will looked like he's a good, patient teacher.

I'm nervous and excited and scared all at the same time! Class starts Thursday, so wish me luck!

-Kris

I give you so much credit for going in as an adult! I can't even bend down and touch my toes LOL. I hope that you like it, and I wish you luck!!!:)

Best wishes. I admire your courage! I am another adult gymnast. :) I managed to join adult programs in Luxembourg and France and I even got to compete! Unfortunately it's not that easy for a grown-up gymnast in my homeland. :( But great for you!

I went to my first class on Thursday. I had so much fun, and today (Tuesday), it's just getting to the point where I'm mostly not sore anymore, so I should be ready for class on Thursday.

Anyone have any suggestions on stuff I can do at home to help? The stuff I learned at gym isn't stuff I can practice at home.

You can practice cartwheels, handstands, and roundoffs. If you mean conditioning wise, there are V-ups, tuck ups, handstand pushups (do a handstand leaning against a wall and push up) hollow holds, and push ups. There are a lot more, I just can't think of them:p

I think one of the hardest issues for adults coming to gymnastics early on is their ego.

Let's face it, you will fall a lot or see some some uber 12yo doing crazy things. Some of them may even get snotty about it. Then of course there is the 5yo who is working on the same skills you are, isn't on team and doing better.

The second issues, and this isn't so much for the guys than the gals is the body image issue. During the warmup, body parts are in the air or splayed out or something. I've seen the adult and teenage females have problems with this before.

So, basically as an adult, you are making an arse of yourself and you have to get over this. It's worse than a yoga class in that regard, because there isn't anybody watching in a yoga class, in the parent's section or other gymnasts and classes. It can be more awkward for a male adult's class coach than a female coach running an adult class.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back