new adult gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

encouraged

Little Lady,

I'm very encouraged by your post. I thought I was the nutty one here - I'm 49 now but I'm in the best shape of my life (thanks to gymnastics strength training) and I am looking forward to some adult competitiions in a few years.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I received an email from a guy in Canada who has a website Gymnastics Coaching and he told me he competed in Australia at the age of 49 and the star of the competition was a man who was 60 years old! Keep on keeping on and I hope you compete someday! How's your wife's workouts coming along? Keep us all posted, ok?

littlelady,
thank you so much for sharing! you're such an inspiration! it is hard to be injured but all this support from all of you is helping a lot. also knowing that there are courageous people out there willing to keep going after their dreams even if it is not the "norm" is amazing. i feel like a weight has been lifted, because now i can just relax, not only while i'm healing and unable to do gymnastics, but also when i'm back in the gym i don't have to feel so pressured, and i can actually ENJOY it, which is what it's all about. i was always DYING to get to the gym when i was just in adult class, and wouldn't miss it for anything. when i joined the prep op team the coaching was different and the atmosphere was different and i felt pressured and frustrated, and started disliking going to the gym at all. i kept thinking to myself i'm doing gymnastics! on a team! competing my own routines! i should be jumping for joy! i couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. now when i go back i will be doing what i love and it will be great because i can just do things at my own pace and know that my time is not up!! i'm so excited to get back in there and learn fun new skills!

oh and i just might have to buy that book about flipping outside the box. it looks really interesting!

(random side note... i saw the coolest skill on youtube. a full twisting side aerial swing down on beam. YouTube - side aerial with full twist to swing down on beam that is the link. how awesome!)

thanks to everyone else too for the encouragement and responding! i'm so glad i found this forum and all of you it has totally changed my outlook for the better. i'll definitely let you know what happens with the xrays. :):):)

That side ariel with a full twist to sit on the beam looks painful!!! I never understood why someone would want to PURPOSEFULY straddle the beam. It is cool looking though

WOW! That side aerial with a full twist is awsome! You'd have to be really strong so you can land lightly and not crotch the beam too hard though. hehe, I guess you can blame Olga Korbut, nicci. She invented the Korbut Flic (BHS to crotch on beam).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back