New Adult Gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! I'm excited to be here. I'm Kim, 32 Years old and have NEVER taken gymnastics lessons in my life! I've always wanted to as a child but my mom couldn't afford it. I'm also not all that coordinated but now I am determined to try. My 5 year old niece has started taking classes and on a whim last week I signed up for the adult session. My first class is tonight. I must admit I'm a little intimidated--I'm not very strong--so my goal right now is to work on conditioning. Hopefully one day I'll be competent and confident enough to compete at the adult level.

Talk to you soon:)

Kim

Hi Kim, I am new here too and also an adult gymnast!

I hope you enjoy your first class! Keep us updated with your progress!!

Marie

Thanks Marie. I certainly will keep you updated as I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. Your Avatar says that you are a coach. How long have you been a gymnast? Any tips you can provide us young at heart but not so young in age?

Hi! Yes, I am a coach - been qualified since I was 14 so 12 years!

I grew up doing gymnastics just one hour a week so obviously didn't get to a high standard - was able to roundoff backflip (backhandspring) when I was 15 and that was my most difficult skill!

I took it back up when I was 23. Just turned 26 now. I spent a long time getting my strength and flexibility back, just doing a lot of basics.

I think it is important to take it slowly and don't expect too much too soon. If you can, just work at your own pace - the class I attend is great for that - the coach is on hand all the time, but we basically just get on with whatever we want.

Since starting again I can now roundoff bhs, tuck front somersault with support, handspring vault and cartwheel on beam! Wouldn't say any of it is competition worthy yet, but I am hoping to enter one later this year!! scary!

Good luck!

Wow, sounds like you have made excellent progress! I do plan to take it slowly and hopefully not expect too much too soon. I haven't done any apparatus yet but the beam scares me! The thought of doing a cartwheel on it just makes me :eek: Strength and flexibility are my immediate goals, as my arms are weak. How many hours a week do you spend training now?

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, sounds like you have made excellent progress! I do plan to take it slowly and hopefully not expect too much too soon. I haven't done any apparatus yet but the beam scares me! The thought of doing a cartwheel on it just makes me :eek: Strength and flexibility are my immediate goals, as my arms are weak. How many hours a week do you spend training now?

Thanks for sharing.

Beam really scares me too! As a younger gymnast I never went on beam and did very little bars. It has taken a very long time for me to stop feeling nervous before doing a roudoff bhs! I used to take about 10 minutes to prepare myself! We don't have pits at our gym, but we used to go to a pitted facility once a month until it became too expensive - I actually got very brave there and started chucking tuckbacks, but can't see myself doing them in our gym for a while yet!!

The class I attend is just 3 hours on a Saturday, but I don't get to attend every session due to other commitments!

Thanks for the encouragement Andrea1973! I'm still a big kid, when I'm with my niece at the park I secretly enjoy swinging alongside her on the swings and getting real high in the air LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back