new and need advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

jackiep

Help, help: My Dd is 6 years old and is a level 4 gymnstic this year last year she competed level 3. Level 4 seams so much more demanding and more expensive, and we are not quite sure if she really likes it, we dont know if she is only doing it becse she has done gymnastic since she was 2. she is going into 1st grade , we dont want to push her but she wants to go one week and the other doesnt. At this age should she know and should we encourage her to keep with it ?? or let her be a normal 6 year ols whats should we do ??? help help

I teach a lot of your daughter's age group and I understand what you're saying. Some weeks they are out of control exciting adn working hard, then other weeks I don't even know why they are there.

I say ask her. If she's enjoying it and wants to keep at it, let her. If she wants to back off a bit, let her do that, too.

your dd is right inbetween my 2 girls!! is there any weeks where she gets a break!! see how she feels after that!!! I know I ask my girls all the time!!

Ask your daughter. Look for a recurring anwser over a few months. Kids are smart, if she consistently says she does not like it...then that's your answer. Also, try her in other activities.

Hi Welcome to CB! I also have a 6 yr old level 4 getting ready for 1st grade. My DD has also been going since about 2 1/2 but there is no level 1-3 at our gym, just rec to invitational pre-team and then invite to USAG or JOGA. I wish she had some "meets" before this year to get used to it. She goes 11 hrs a week and (odd to me) loves it for 99% of the time. I did have a couple times when she was in the middle of doing something (dive team pizza party or playdate) and we had to leave for the gym and she didn't want to go, but I think that's normal. What kids wants to miss anything, LOL! But she always comes out all smiles in the end so I know she likes it. If there is something important going on (like a special event, party, dive meet, ect...) she does miss either an enitire practice or part of one occasionally. Gymnastics isn't her only activity and I want her to enjoy being a regular 6 year old too. I guess if I were you I would see if she doesn't want to go because she feels she is missing out on something else...and if that's the case maybe you can allow her to miss occasionally or go late. I know people always ask "well what does she want to do" and I can tell you that doesn't work for my 6 yr old either so I would just follow her cues. Does she come out happy? Does she like the girls in her class? That's important because if/when they get into a little *tiff* sometimes it's enough that they don't want to go, not because of the gymnastics program but because of the social issues. Is she sensitive? Maybe a coach said something to her and she is upset about it?

Anyway, just wanted to say "welcome" and I think it's perfectly normal to have a 6yr old with ups & downs, LOL! Good Luck!

I agree with Monkeygirlsmom. Try taking a week or two of breaks from the gym. This may remind her just how much she loves it, or she may realize it's not for her. My sister has a 3 year old in level 2, and when we moved to a new gym (same gym, just different location), she cried every practice b/c of the transition.
The coach said that gymnastics is supposed to be fun for the child and parent. If it's not, it may be time to take a break for a few weeks or months. Consider the maturity of your child before allowing them to make such a big decision. My 6 year old (almost 7) is very mature, and if I were in the same situation, I would try a break for a while and then whatever she decided is what we would do. Your daughter obviously has talent to be so young and be on level 4. Good luck!!!:p

1st off, welcome to CB. I think you'll like it here. 6yos tend to live in the here and now. They don't think/plan ahead and aren't old enough to get the "big picture" yet. Is it possible to find out if they are doing certain things at the gym that she may be afraid of or not comfortable with when she says she doesn't want to go? Does she ever come out looking down? Kids this age also like to please their parents. You could tell her that if she doesn't want to do L4 this year, that is ok with you---nobody will be mad or upset with her and if she does want to do it you'll support her all the way.

I wouldn't pepper her with questions---just ask 1 or 2 and tell her to think about it. Does she really like doing competitions, would she like to do L3 for another year? I imagine there is more practice for her this year and she may have some trouble adjusting to that. If you can't get much info out of her, you might want to talk with a coach and ask what they are seeing in practice. I also agree with a little time off.

Guess what---doesn't get any easier as they get older---they just get alot more verbal!

I have a 6 year old (turns 7 in Oct) and she will be competing level 5 this year...I have found over the last 2 years that she has been on team that I will give her a break every now and then...

She LOVES going to the gym and would probably move in if I let her but at times I can tell that she is tired and fussy so I will just say "Hey...I know...let's take a day off and veg all day...watch movies, eat popcorn, etc.." Her coaches are great at remembering her age and totally are fine with this and she wakes up the next morning saying that she had a fun day, but she is ready to go back to team practice...

I think it is a ton to put on a little one even if they enjoy it, so we try to have a mandatory "act like a kid" day here and there...

Just my 2 cents :)

Welcome:wave: my dd is a 9 yr old who has competed 2 yrs already as a LVL 4. And she is struggling right now loving gymnastics and hating it at the same time.

I have a 6 year old (turns 7 in Oct) and she will be competing level 5 this year...I have found over the last 2 years that she has been on team that I will give her a break every now and then...

She LOVES going to the gym and would probably move in if I let her but at times I can tell that she is tired and fussy so I will just say "Hey...I know...let's take a day off and veg all day...watch movies, eat popcorn, etc.." Her coaches are great at remembering her age and totally are fine with this and she wakes up the next morning saying that she had a fun day, but she is ready to go back to team practice...

I think it is a ton to put on a little one even if they enjoy it, so we try to have a mandatory "act like a kid" day here and there...

Just my 2 cents :)

I have to agree with ccwain. While my dd was in the gym 9 hours a week this past summer for the level 4 practices (only 5 at the time), she never complained until the end of the summer. So, I said, hey, you want to skip a day and do something else? She said yes and that was that. She went back the following practice with a new attitude! She's 6 now and getting ready for her first meet. I think the beginning of the season is always toughest because not only are the hours longer, the days different, but they're also getting used to school again and homework, etc.

Good luck to you and dd in her Level 4 season! :)

Hello there!
My name's Britt...
I'm a level 7/8 gymnast right now, but your post caught my attention.
I started gymnastics when i was three, however i quit when i was 8.
I had competed 2 years of level 4, but i competed a whole lot of meets in those two years. Pretty much i had burned out very quickly. Before i started competing, i had trianed with the team girls for about a year. About a 2 years ago i started cheerleading at my school and when we started taking tumbling classes at my original gym, i fell in love with the sport all over again, and when my cheer season was over i went back to competition team, competting last season as a level 6 and the new season is about to begin! Anyway, i didn't get on here to ramble about me! i'm tryin to help you out! What i'm trying to say is this: if if your daughter is unhappy in the gym, you'll see it soon enough, and if she is, who knows! she may come back to the sport again! Hopefully i helped a little bit!

Britt
(a.k.a. Masters_gymnast93)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back