New at Gymnastics in High School

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H

holagurrl25

So I do gymnastics at my high school, and I'm really really bad. I admit I mostly do it to have a winter sport (other options are basketball - already tried it - bowling, and wrestling >.<), but I enjoy the team, the atmosphere, and the sport as a whole.

So I figure the main problem with my awfulness is that I'm really scared. Last year some of the girls talked about how it's harder when you're older because you actually are aware that the stuff you're doing is crazy amazing but also dangerous.

I was just wondering if anyone has any small tips or little things that could help, or if anyone has had a similar situation (I know this situation is uncommon here due to the fact that most 5 year olds have more tricks than me on these forums).

Let's just say I can't do a round off (my legs don't like each other) and I freak out when they try to make me do vault (my coach calls it "cat out of window"). If you want more detail to how much I can't do, feel free to ask xD.

No, being older does not default you to being less able to develop as a gymnast. Fear is something that people of all ages feel, some just manage it differently. For a five year old, it comes across as confusion or disobedience. For a 15 year old, it comes out as hesitance or anger.

Love what you do, and listen to your coaches. If they have been coaching for years (as I assume they have), then they probably know what they are doing. The best thing you can do for yourself is ask for clarification if you do not understand, and to do your best to try when you do.

Is it possible that you get hurt when you listen and do as they say? Yes. Is it anyone's fault? No. It's part of the learning process.

Like with math - you have to practice, and get things wrong, before you get it right. The major difference is, with gymnastics you need to be able to manipulate your body and mind, not just your mind.

High school gymnastics is, probably always will be, my favorite venue for the sport. No other atmosphere is required to be so creative in teaching methods, and no other venue deals with the same time constraits involved. I wish you the best of luck, and to not pass on the opportunity to enjoy the process and the journey. Stop worrying if you're good enough, or who's better - just practice so that you are getting better than yourself, and soon enough you will find that other people will be measuring themselves against you.

I don't know much about high school gymnastics, but I also started gymnastics older (college age). I've noticed I really have to remind myself to have a "get up and go" kind of attitude. Like the previous poster said, trust your coaches! I know all of my coaches have been coaching for years and they were gymnasts for years before that. They're also all male so I know they have the strength to properly spot me.

Fear can be tricky. I'm also currently struggling with that. I had started a thread called, conquering fear?, where someone posted a good link to a website. What's been helping me not hesitate is concentrating on a few things to remember to do during the skill. When I do a front handspring I make sure to say to myself, "long reach, fast heels", over and over in my head so that is what I'm concentrating on. If you're thinking about technique you're not thinking about the fear.

Make sure to concentrate on yourself and what you're doing. I have to practice floor when there are 9 year olds next to me doing back handsprings on beam, but we all start at the same place.

I was in your exact situation last year, I began gymnastics last july, and It was my freshmen year... I did gymnastics last season and I competed every meet.. I wasn't to good but I had a smal team, which helped... I had a few things when I started but I did have some things.. you just have to believe in yourself and trust your coaches... but if you ever need anything or someone to talk to with gymnastics let me know. :)

High school isn't old - I'm 44 and not very good, but over time I am improving, very slowly, I'm definitely better than I was this time last year. Don't worry about how good you are, instead just focus on improving from where you are now. Celebrate every improvement, no matter how small. If you enjoy the sport, that is what matters, not whether you are as good as somebody else or not.

Get your coach to spot you when learning a new skill, I've found it helps in the beginning to build up confidence until you feel confident enough to try it by yourself. Also, I've found that its better to try the skill with some gusto rather than tentatively, even if you are nervous. If you try something hesitantly, it just doesn't work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back