Parents New beginnings!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, look at it this way. If this one doesn't like gymnastics, you could have a few more kids until you get one that does ! ( that's what I did)

Or adopt one. ( that's what a couple at a neighboring gym did). And she was State Champion.

I encourage you to hang in there. I dont think anyone wanted to make you feel bad and ultimately when the concensus is that your thought process may be too premature try and take it in. I think a lot of the eople who posted where trying to save you from some heartache if you set too much stock in gymnastics. I hope you have fun taking her too the gym and getting to enjoy sharing your passion with your daughter.

I think it might be awkward to be at either gym. I'd go to a straight up rec only gym or do the garage thing until team.

I don't think gymnastics needs to be "left in the gym" for the preschool set in the same way.

I read a story once about a little girl who became a big gymmie who didn't learn to ride a bike until she was grown because she was always in the gym and I bet some don't get a whole lot of swim time. So I encourage you to see these preschool years as a time to invest in swimming and biking. They don't need training wheels -- stick them on a balance bike and they'll be able to bicycle as soon as they are tall enough for a 12" real bike.

Skip the garage gym and get outside. Walk, explore, play, roll down grassy hills, climb trees, graze knees. All the skills your little one will need in life, or the gym, will be learned along the way. Swimming is a hugely important skill, doing art projects develops fine motor skills.

Meet like minded parents and start a parents and tots group, meet weekly for outdoor fun and activities. I met some amazing people this way, my kids made friends for life too.

Nobody wants to offend you, but trying to plan so far ahead often leads to disappointment and unneeded pressure on kids. Enjoy every minute as your little one grows, you only get these days once and you will look back and remember the fun you had with her.

I have to agree with the others, gym at 1 year old is for socialization and FUN, not for finding the next Gabby. While I can see why you might feel attacked, but I can also see the other posters side of things as well.

Posters here are parents first and gym moms second, at least that is how I would assume most of us are. We want what is best for a child, be it our own or little suzy down the street. To see a parent come on here and want help on deciding on what gym is best for her 9 month old baby is like trying to decide what car to buy your 5 year old because he will be driving in 11 years. Except the difference with driving is you know the kid will be driving in 11 years, you have no idea if the 9 month old will even like gymnastics.

I would personally skip both gyms and find a mygym or YMCA program and let the little one have fun, drool everywhere and learn some coordination.

I don't mind offending you because you sound like a crazy person. Building a gym in the garage for a 9 month old? What the heck? The fact that you like one gym because it will give you "free reign" over your daughter is also concerning. I'm scared for her.

It's funny how we chose the gym that DD is currently at. It was because the Mommy and Me class time fit our schedule at the time. :) I was totally ignorant about gymnastics and only signed her up because she was vaulting herself off our sofa head first. I figured she could at least learn how to do a forward roll correctly before she hurt herself. If you had asked me what sport I hoped she would like when she was that age (18 months), I would've said figure skating (my favorite sport). I had even though of signing her up for classes when she was a bit older. But she when she did finally try skating, she hated it. ;) Admittedly I was disappointed at first, but now I am glad. Gymnastics is truly her sport, not something she does because she thinks it's what we want. So IMO, just find a fun class your daughter her to enjoy- the other stuff can come much later.

Agree with the others saying that you can't force them to do something they don't want to do.
I've always loved ballroom dancing. We started ballroom classes when DD was 3.When she was 4 I was stressing over finding a good partner. When she was 5, Isigned her up for private lessons, and entered her into a competition. She did great, by the way, got 3 first places out of 8 dances. But when she was 6 she said, I don't want to do this anymore, I want to do gymnastics instead. What can you do? We tried to convince her, bribe her, force her, nothing worked! She would go to class, but fool around for 45 minutes instead of dancing. So, we quit, and switched to gymnastics, and I never hear her complain. If she could spend 24 hours a day in gym, she would. LOL Haven't seen any first places yet,but it's only her first year competing.
You need to introduce a child to a variety of activities\sports, and let them choose for themselves what they want to do.

Well, look at it this way. If this one doesn't like gymnastics, you could have a few more kids until you get one that does ! ( that's what I did)

Or adopt one. ( that's what a couple at a neighboring gym did). And she was State Champion.

My father wanted a boy. After the 6th girl, my mom said enough! I also know of a mother who dreamed of having a gymnast for a daughter. They adopted a girl from Romania. I don't want to put the adopted girl down but she is the most gymnastically challenged gymnast I have come across. There just are no guarantees.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back