New Cast Requirement?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rumor floating around Beetle's gym today was that USAG's Code of points changed the cast requirement for all Optional Gymnasts. Beetle heard that there is a Cast to Hand stand requirement for each cast completed. High and Low.

She was told there was a .3 deduction if HS wasn't hit. also for those L7's, if the 45degree cast wasnt hit it would be a .8 deduction.

Any one else hear this?

Last edited:
My answer is yes and no. Level 7s must have a cast to at least 45* above horizontal. That is a SR worth .5. Casts below vertical (well, really 10* from vertical) can get UP TO a .3 deduction for an insufficient angle of the cast. It is not a flat deduction. A cast below 45* from vertical would receive .25 to .3 in deductions. Level 7s are looking at a .75-.8 deduction if they cannot cast to 45* because of the combination of those requirements/deductions.

My DD isn't hitting her HS all the way when she does her Giants and was told it was going to be at least a .5 deduction. She is close to vertical but definately cheats it a bit. I am not sure if that is just her coach telling her that so she is more conscientious about hitting it or if it is true.

Gymkat,
Do they count all casts in the routine or just one? IOW, if the first cast HS hits vertical but the later one on the high bar going into the giants is just short, is there a deduction? Just curious.

My daughters heard about these cast requirements as well from their coach. I have a level 8, a 9 and a 10. I do know that level 9 daughter who thought she had her entire bar routine fairly well, has had to relearn her mount into release. It is a jump to high bar, kip, cast to bail (shoot half/shoot over, etc.) Last year the girls who did this combo just did a small type cast into their bail so that they could better control it as first year 8's or 9's, but she has had to learn how to cast to handstand out of that mount now and control the swing into her bail or face that .3 deduction. I know that my level 10 is definetly always concerned about hitting handstands. I haven't heard my level 8 say anything at this point, but I think she's so worried about keeping her feet off of the floor on her straddle back and just getting through the routine! These changes year to year sure do get confusing!

I learned last night that these 'rules' were sent via email to gyms in my state. I saw some of them and the email says "all casts are expected to go to handstand" to me, that is different than required (my DH is an attorney.. I have learned to take words seriously! LOL). They were also told that scores are going to be different this year. Which I took as lower, This concerns me since I feel we are in a toughly judged state to begin with, I can only imagine what this is going to do!!

My daughters heard about these cast requirements as well from their coach. I have a level 8, a 9 and a 10. I do know that level 9 daughter who thought she had her entire bar routine fairly well, has had to relearn her mount into release. It is a jump to high bar, kip, cast to bail (shoot half/shoot over, etc.) Last year the girls who did this combo just did a small type cast into their bail so that they could better control it as first year 8's or 9's, but she has had to learn how to cast to handstand out of that mount now and control the swing into her bail or face that .3 deduction. I know that my level 10 is definetly always concerned about hitting handstands. I haven't heard my level 8 say anything at this point, but I think she's so worried about keeping her feet off of the floor on her straddle back and just getting through the routine! These changes year to year sure do get confusing!

Exgymnastmomx3: the email we received says that a hs is not expected before a bail or peach salto for L7/8.. so that makes ses for your girls last year. Not so much the new L9's.. We have 2 new 9's with that same problem.. just learned her Shootover this year and now has to do it out of a handstand. YIKES!

I started to learn a bail at the end of June, and I find it much easier to control the swing out of a giant than a cast. Plus, I'm guaranteed to get the C!

kristlyn- the reason that it says that all casts are expected to get to HS is because L7 is the only level with a requirement to hit a certain angle.

Just to clarify, the concept here is that there used to be an "A" cast that kids were able to get credit for. Now that "A" cast has been eliminated and is no longer a counting element. So, all optional casts (with the exception of casts into bails & squat ons) are excepted to go to Handstand and there is an Up To .3 angle deduction (determined by the angle of the cast.) So, if a cast goes to horizontal, it is .3, but if a cast is only like 30 degrees from handstand it would be a much smaller deduction...I don't have my angle chart with me or I could tell you for certain.

The other thing is that even if a L7 gymnast just gets the cast angle that is required for her special requirement, she'll still receive an angle deduction because she didn't go to handstand.

Oh wow! I always thought that level 7 cast requirement is handstand... My bad... I guess I learned handstand for no reason then. Does the clear hip have to still be handstand for level 7? (i hope it's not off topic..)

A clear hip must be above horizontal to be considered a B. A clear hip to handstand is a C. In level 7 you are only required to do Bs, so your clear hip does not have to go to handstand to get B credit and fulfill special requirements.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back