MAG New dinner routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

DTAG

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
My son's schedule will have him in the gym from 5-9 multiple days a week. It is about a half hour drive each way. How do y'all plan your dinners for your gymnast? I am leaning towards something light like a snack or sandwich prior to practice, and then having a hot, heavier meal waiting for him at home for afterwards. Now mind you he is only 9 years old and I'm worried that eating a big meal so late at night and going to sleep immediately afterwards will not be good for his health. He is also eating me out of house and home lately and is asking for food nearly every hour. Thanks for any input.

I would do a good snack beforehand and bring dinner in the car for the ride home. I've done meals in the car for years bc we are 30-35 mins from one of my kid's gym and I feel like the time can be better spent eating a meal than waiting. I bought some trays that fit food in different sections, or I have been doing a lunchbox this summer with summer hours.

I would do a good snack beforehand and bring dinner in the car for the ride home. I've done meals in the car for years bc we are 30-35 mins from one of my kid's gym and I feel like the time can be better spent eating a meal than waiting. I bought some trays that fit food in different sections, or I have been doing a lunchbox this summer with summer hours.

Good call! I didn’t even think about letting him eat on the ride home. I bet I could find trays online that would work. Thanks!

Good call! I didn’t even think about letting him eat on the ride home. I bet I could find trays online that would work. Thanks!

We just used different sized tupperware.

I would meal prep on SUnday for the whole week. Breakfasts/lunches/dinners. Then eh could grab what he wanted and eat it on the way home.

Good luck!

I would think about reversing the meal and the snack so that he is not going to bed with a full meal on his stomach. My dd used to eat a good sized meal a couple of hours before practice and then would have a light meal or heavy snack on the way home. Since his practice starts at 5, could he eat a good meal right after school?

I’m a huge fan of tailoring meals to appetite. I don’t push food if my kids aren’t hungry, but I always have a healthy option if they are. I’ll usually give my kids a good meal prior to a work-out, but if they aren’t hungry after, I won’t push food. We also have friends that always bring a full hot car-meal at pick-up for the drive home, then straight to bed. It really depends on how your kids like to eat and when their hunger levels hit.

I would also make sure he has a good lunch. School lunches can be quick but making sure it’s a filling meal should help.

I remember those days... for me... I would say... a meal before... a meal for a snack during... then a meal after! I used to eat a ton when I was working out.

EDIT: My guess is that no matter what you feed him before workout... he will be starving after practice.

My ds has practice from 4 to 8 multiple nights and last year was closer to your schedule. We have 35 to 50 minutes to/from the gym. He eats a meal or large snack(sandwiches and fruit or a pop tart) on the way. Has snacks with him: granola bars, jerky or flat breads. Rarely he'll grab candy from the vending machine. Then he has a full hot dinner when he gets home get a shower and heads to bed. This can happen in as little as 1 hour or as much as 2 and a half. Eating in car on the way home, in the dark, did not work well for us.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back