New gym mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! My dd, 7, started gymnastics at age 5. We only did it for 6 months due to our move. US to UK. After we got settled we had to wait 10 months before getting into a gymnastics club. It was not what I expected but I didn't know better - just recreational, no major coaching. About 6 weeks after she started one of the coach recommended that dd try out for another gym. We did and I was surprised to get an invite for the development group/advance intermediate. It's been 6 weeks now and she loves it.

To be honest, while I thought dd was improving I didn't think she had any talent. But I guess dd is pretty strong and coachable.

Question, is this normal? To be invited after just a short period of proper coaching? The other kids in the group have all been doing it since they were 3-5 with no breaks. Mine is still working on her hand stand then a roll (it's hit and miss on keeping her legs up before rolling) and backwards roll (I think that's what it's called. You bend forward then bounce back, bum, back and push with two palms on floor, legs up and then stand). They's hit and miss. She didn't know how to jump a vault but getting there. Still 50-50. The bar she can pull up and leg lift but no flipping on own. The beam is just jumps, forward rolls and cartwheels. She is 50-50 in staying on beam when rolling/wheeling. Granted she's improved quite a bit in 6 weeks (the above I tried to describe she's never done) but will her being in this group hurt her esteem? She wants to hurry and get a routine, do this and that. I had to tell her that she's like Po in Kungfu Panda. One day she'll be like her new gym friends but not yet. While I am not a pushy mom I get really anxious when I watch. I just want her to do so well so that she can be closer to the other kids.

Then, while anything more is great my only hope is that she keeps it up and uses her skills to try and aim for a college scholarship (if she quits then c'est la vie). What level does she need to be for college gymnastics? I don't even know what level she's in now.

Last, is there a good glossary with all the terms? I feel retarded. I can YouTube things but if there's a glossary with pictures that'd be awesome.

Oh, is the UK and US levels the same?

My 2yrs old. She's been copying big sister and is now forward rolling (even on the bed I see the potential head rolling down onto floor first incident). She'll try to kick up to do a hand stand (I see neck breaking). She'll use my knee when I sit down to do a bridge - ok here except my face gets kicked often. Or she'll do a chin up and leg lift on every bar (bike racks, playground, etc). I can see head hitting concrete and each time I see a rack I'd rush and carry her. Lil sis is freaking me out... Afraid she'd hurt herself. Any tip on how to contain her? I know I am oh so negative sounding with all the possible incidents but I am the kind who sees all sorts of worst case scenarios. I'd love to take her to the gym but mommy and me is 30 min highway drive and they don't do big girl gym. Just preschool stuff which I love but isn't going teach my kid to be a safer forward roller at age 2.

Thank you! As long as dd #1 is enthused about this sport I will continue to learn so that she feels supported. I'll be stalking this forum to gain more knowledge :)

Uk and US levels are entirely different. And very complicated so I wouldn't even go there :)

My Dd has been in rec gym for a while, and was invited to the squad recently. Rec in the uk is all about fun and general skills that cross sports, they don't really learn much past cartwheels and handstands as far as I can tell.

Again, as far as I can tell in the uk to start with it's about the child and her potential- strength, flexibility, coachability, fearlessness etc. Skill level isn't a consideration. It's much slower here- clubs seem to focus on the very basics, form, condition etc, and you may not see her learning the exciting tricks for ages.

Even on the elite track they don't start competing until the year they turn 9- starting with level 4, then 3, 2, espoir at 12/13, then junior, senior. There's also club grades for those who can't or don't make the national levels. Floor and vault is also big here, and keeps a lot of older girls in the sport.

As for you little Dd- have a look for soft play :). They're all over, or tumbletots if your gym doesnt have a class, or the old gym for rec classes!

Hi new gym mom. My recommendation to you would be to just sit back and enjoy watching your daughter. She's 7, she's very beginner, who knows where this will go. It's way too early to be hoping for college scholarships and such. :) As far as being recruited with little background, often developmental team kids are recruited just for body type and potential. When I chose developmental kids, I would look at their body type, flexibility and strength and whether they were mature enough to be on a team. I didn't care about their skill level at all- I was going to teach them the skills they needed.

Also, don't worry about her not being at the same level as the other girls. The coach obviously saw potential in your daughter and wants her in the group. The other kids and parents will know this as well, so you shouldn't be concerned.

As far as a college scholarship- NCAA division I schools take elites and top level 10s. (Georgia, Florida, Stanford, UCLA, Alabama, etc). Division II and III schools still mostly take L10 athletes. For a top school, your daughter would really need to be a level 10 who placed highly at nationals in order to be recruited.

Good luck to you!

things are differnt here - first off - no college scholarships ! :rolleyes:

Most children start out in Rec and do the BG Badges - 9 to 1 and then bronze, silver and gold. Many clubs dont go any further than this.

The next step up is the regional levels
Regional Grades:

Age 8+ - Grade 14 (County qualifier in age groups, to regional final)

Age 9+ - Grade 13 ( “ “ “ “ “)

Age 10+ - Grade 12 ( “ “ “ “ )

Age 10+ - Grade 11( “ “ “ “ “ “ )

Age 10+ - Grade 10 ( “ “ “ “ )

Age 10+ - Grade 9 ( “ “ “ “ )

National Grades (all age 10 plus): Grades 8-5 – regional qualifier leading to national final for the top 4 placed gymnasts.

I would recommend pre-school gymnastics for your little one - she will be able to practice her skills in a safe environment and have lots of fun

Enjoy

'Margo

Thanks all for the replies!! I didn't know I got any... I didn't get an email and I thought I was supposed to if there's a reply :\ BUT, glad I got some answers!!

It's been five months and after watching a few YouTube videos, I can say that my daughter is working towards a US level 3. She's been practicing the moves I've seen the girls do on YouTube but not solid and the one thing she can't do at all is do the splits on the uneven bars and then swing down off it... I am sure there's a name for it but I am still, five months later, still a gym mom dummy.

Is that normal progression?

I am though not quite happy with her current gym. Five months and four coaches already. I really liked the first group she was in. She had two coaches and an assistant. Three months there she got moved to a different group/coach and well, the coach wasn't the most desirable. The only thing I liked about her was that she's warm and fuzzy. I did speak to her and the manager and a week later dd got moved to a different coach. I loved the move because dd was placed with one of the best coach in the gym. Then she quit with reasons I think I shouldn't say. VERY bummed!! The new coach who took over the group, while good with the technicality of gymnastics is not good with managing the kids. For example, other coaches would create mini groups so that each kid will be doing something while he/she's working with a child or two. This way everybody's busy and working on some sort of skill. This one hasn't been using the kids' time effectively. The kids were all in line waiting and during that waiting time they'd be in the pit, giggling, poking each others' eyes out (literally), etc.

From the last five months I saw the most progression the first three months she was at the new gym. Nothing happened with the second coach and the third perfected what she learned from the first. The fourth... it's only been two weeks but it's just me who's not liking how inactive the kids are while waiting for their turns.

I am still not an ambitious gym mom but I do want a good coach for my dd. I have no idea if she has talent or she's just good and determined. I know that ppl who sees her says she's got great form and the perfect body (white-asian mix and hubby and I are not tall folks) but that's pretty much it.

I'd like to talk to her current coach but not sure how to approach it. If it doesn't get sorted, I'd like to see if dd can go back to her first group. I wasn't sure why she got moved to begin with. I was told because she was lower in skill level then the rest of the girls in the group but then they took a new girl who just started gymnastics. But the group is full and me asking and then if approved will probably make the other parents not too happy.

I do have an appointment to try out at another gym but they do have higher standards and not sure if we can get into the development/intermediate program. Dd's already used to the 4.5 hrs and I know she doesn't want to go back to rec. But we'll see. It is almost an hour away, 45 min. on a good day. There is another one if I really must but rather go to this one I have an appointment with if we go this route.

How do you know if a gym is not a good fit for the child? You think I am rushing it by going gym shopping because of all the above?

Thanks!

You want to make sure you're not in vain search of the perfect coach. It's really disappointing to start out with an awesome coach and then deal with a less good one, but obviously not every coach is good at all the aspects of coaching - time management vs dealing with fears vs teaching new skills. Sometimes a new parent like yourself might identify the coach's ability in one area but not another. Time management is easy to see, and obviously time management is important, but maybe the new coach is working hard to get good form and shapes. That's something a new parent might not notice.

I would ask your daughter how she likes the team, what she thinks of the new coach, etc. The thing that's a little worrying in this scenario is why the gym is changing coaches so much! That might signal issues with management. I suppose you can try out the new gym and see how your daughter likes it, but be careful not to search for the perfect coach. S/he doesn't exist.

Mack, yes, I do question the management of the gym in general. I was also wondering why there's an ad in the newsletter looking for coaches but it also said that one doesn't need to have been a gymnast or done any sort of gymnastics to be one. A lot of moms also have complained to the head coach/mgr and it seems like they don't get resolved or when one does it would take months or a year - one being a bullying case.

I am not looking for the best coach. I just want a good all around one. There's no consistency in this gym and it's what bugs me -- in case she gets moved again. Plus, the other gym has a cafe <-- I have my priorities ;)

This gym was recommended to you though? What is it, apart from the cafe, that puts you off?

A high turnover of coaches isn't unusual, especially at the lower levels where the young girls move on to uni etc.

Oh I think the leg thing on the bar you mention is a mill circle. Afaik it's not a skill we do in the uk, and I'm sure many of the us coaches here will agree that it's a pretty pointless skill anyway.

If you want to pm me your location I can let you know if I know of the gyms- I've been in uk gymnastics for over 30 years in 3 different regions, so I may be able to help with club reputation...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back