Parents New gym mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So SUPER new mom. My daughter is 3 and ABSOLUTELY loves gymnastics. She started about 6 months ago but talked about it for months before that. I was waiting for her to be old enough, although i still started her a little early.

Here's the thing, her coach recommended moving her to an advanced with kids a year or 2 older than her. I'm completely ok with that since she expressed that her current class isn't challenging enough for her. She is constantly practicing at home and wants to go to the gym more often.

My question:

Her coach suggested her going 2 days a week. I'm unsure about it. On one hand she would love it, she can learn more, and I would hate to hold her back

On the other hand 2 days a week is a lot for me plus I'm concerned practicing twice a week is too much on a 3 year old. Especially one that attends school 4 days a week.

In your experience, what would be the best option? I obviously want whats best for her, just not sure what that looks like. But most 3 year olds don't talk about one activity for months, talks about advancing, and expresses wanting to continue when shes older

Here are my thoughts. Whether it is a good idea for a kid to take gym class twice a week rather than once entirely depends on the kid and the family situation and finances. If you feel that she or your family is already over scheduled, there is no rush- There is always time later to have her increase gym time.

I would add that in my opinion, for young kids overall, the frequency of a gym class is less of an issue than would be the length or intensity of the class. Kids really loving something at this age is not strange, my son took two short rec gym classes a week when he was three and loved it, but we did that because his older brother was already on the boys team and we all had to be at the gym that often anyway, and my son was not in preschool.

I would suggest, whatever decision you make, base it on what works or seems reasonable and appropiate now, and not on your daughter currently saying she wants to "advance" or saying she is interested in continuing with the sport. She is far to young to have any concept of what either of those things mean.

I am a pretty new gym mom too, but here's my opinion. I think you should do what works for you as a parent. If you have plenty of free time and money, then let her do 2 days. If not, thats ok too. Only going one day a week at this age is not going to hold her back. If she is super talented, she will still be super talented at 5 or 6 and will benefit more from the increased number of days at an age where she can understand corrections better. My youngest (newly minted 4yo) has been begging to go to more days of gym for several months, because her older sister does. But for us, it's just not worth the extra cost right now.

I agree with the other two replies. I'd also add that if she does stay in this sport it will become all consuming. I'm glad I used those younger years to let my daughter try other sports. It's a great time to try out any sports or activities. If she stays in gymnastics and advances then it gets difficult to fit other sports and activities into your schedule, so do it now!

Here are my thoughts. Whether it is a good idea for a kid to take gym class twice a week rather than once entirely depends on the kid and the family situation and finances. If you feel that she or your family is already over scheduled, there is no rush- There is always time later to have her increase gym time.

I would add that in my opinion, for young kids overall, the frequency of a gym class is less of an issue than would be the length or intensity of the class. Kids really loving something at this age is not strange, my son took two short rec gym classes a week when he was three and loved it, but we did that because his older brother was already on the boys team and we all had to be at the gym that often anyway, and my son was not in preschool.

I would suggest, whatever decision you make, base it on what works or seems reasonable and appropiate now, and not on your daughter currently saying she wants to "advance" or saying she is interested in continuing with the sport. She is far to young to have any concept of what either of those things mean.
Thanks for the reply. She would tell me if she didn't really like it. She has with different activities. I know she is very interested. I can tell the difference in the way her sister acts about her activity and the way she acts. Her sister could careless (about the same age)

I just feel over scheduled as of now. Especially since I'm the only one doing everything

I am a pretty new gym mom too, but here's my opinion. I think you should do what works for you as a parent. If you have plenty of free time and money, then let her do 2 days. If not, thats ok too. Only going one day a week at this age is not going to hold her back. If she is super talented, she will still be super talented at 5 or 6 and will benefit more from the increased number of days at an age where she can understand corrections better. My youngest (newly minted 4yo) has been begging to go to more days of gym for several months, because her older sister does. But for us, it's just not worth the extra cost right now.
This is true. I only feel bad because she wants to go and i just dont have the energy to take her any additional days. Logically i know she will be fine either way but i hate hearing her ask to go more often

I agree with the other two replies. I'd also add that if she does stay in this sport it will become all consuming. I'm glad I used those younger years to let my daughter try other sports. It's a great time to try out any sports or activities. If she stays in gymnastics and advances then it gets difficult to fit other sports and activities into your schedule, so do it now!
She would be so mad if enrolled her in anything else lol. I have asked. In a few years it will be much easier going more often but right now i dont have enough help to do it.

My DD started gymnastics at 15 mths old (parent & child). At age 3 she was always asking if it was gymnastics day

I would not worry about if 2 sessions will be too much for a 3 yr old. My DD did 1.5 hrs of gymnastics, 1 hr of dance, 30 min swim lesson and 1 hr of soccer at age 3 (we had the time). An energetic child will be happy to do more hours.

This is more about making sure you, as a parent, do not get burned out. there is plenty of time in the future to more sessions.

Not to mention, I would first have my child do the more advanced class for a few weeks before jumping into 2x a week.

Also remember, if you go for 2x a week at some point, you can ALWAYS SKIP a session when you need to. Maybe a tough day for you or child. Lots of things going on. etc. I make a point of this b/c too many people get caught up in attending every single class/practice. Yes it is important for consistency however emotional & physical health are critical to a happier environment.

I would be concerned about putting her in a class with older kids. If it's mostly 5-year-olds, are they working on bridges and other skills that are not safe for a 3-year-old?
Her previous class was 3-5 so shes used to the age range. Shes 3.5 and this class starts at 4. I believe this class is will be safe for her.

I also think a lot of the more advanced kids in that class move up to the next level then to xcel bronze, which is what i think this path is working towards. I'm not 100% sure. I do know before enrolling her it was asked if she was interested in workng towards team. I probably should have asked more questions but it seems early to ask questions like that but then again i know nothing about gymnastics lol.

She would be so mad if enrolled her in anything else lol. I have asked. In a few years it will be much easier going more often but right now i dont have enough help to do it.
If you don't have the bandwidth, then don't. As someone else said, if she has a gift, it'll be there when she's 5, and she'll be strong and ready to start pre-team, while her mom now has the space in her life to support her. Gymnastics is a whole-family sport. Everyone has to be happy...especially you!
This also gives you time to peek around the corners a little. Check out other gyms and programs. Ask about their team schedules, so when the time comes, you're as prepared as DD is.

We love the Xcel program because it's more relaxed and the skills are learned more slowly. DP is great for kids who want to be in the gym all the time, and it's beautiful to see the intensity of their commitment.

I hope you find the perfect fit for all of you.

For that age I always ask if a child is in swim lessons or has tried dance before adding a second day of any activity, especially if you are pressed for time. There is only so much time to try things but plenty of time for gymnastics. This is a time to start building safety and confidence in the water rather than when they are 7, 8 or 9 and even busier and being invited to things like pool parties or attending day camps. It’s also a great time to start a basic ballet or creative dance class so she can start thinking about music, rhythm and how she moves through space.

The suggestion of dance is a good one. Based on what I've seen, the girls who do dance seem to take to some parts of gymnastics much more naturally than those who don't. Clearly, it matters a lot less as you move up the levels, but when pointing your toe poorly is enough to keep you mid pack at level 3... dance helps.

I still haven’t gotten past a 3 yr old talking for “months” about gymnastics before ever doing gymnastic.

Shes 3 she should be doing tons of thin including nothing

I still haven’t gotten past a 3 yr old talking for “months” about gymnastics before ever doing gymnastic.

Shes 3 she should be doing tons of thin including nothing
She has been talking about it since she was 2. She saw a clip on my phone of it and been hooked since. Asking to do classes on YouTube and everything. Since she started 6 months ago she never wanted to miss a class, never cried about going, and always been excited to go. Her older sister has complained about going to ballet even though she enjoys it.

And doing nothing is not in her vocabulary. This child is on 100 all day long. Its exhausting.

I also have a gym loving toddler -
who was invited to a second advanced class. I know that a second session a week - they would love it and I see no harm. They would be running around being active anyway.
But we said not now. It meant another day of commuting and commitment. That’s not the right choice for our family right now, we value a day of flexibility.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back