Parents New Gym update and GRIPS!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
I think changing gyms has been the most stressful thing I've had to do this year. As you know we left just before nationals opting not to go when they fired DD's coach. As I feared things did get worse at the old gym with screaming, yelling and drama. So pulling her was the right decision. She's only 7 - it was her first nationals - not her last.

So at the old gym DD was youngest by about 4-5 years. She loved the girls and they carried her around. She got to do so much working out with them.

New gym she's with USAG level 5. She's not getting to do some of the more challenging things she was doing but . . . she's with a group of girls close to her age and having a blast! She's cleaning up basics and learning new routines.

Last night they all gathered around for *** drum roll please**** GRIPS!

They were so excited and they got them together and learned how to put them on and break them in etc. It was an event. This morning she wanted to take them to school . . . at 65$ . . wasn't happening LOL

She still wishes she could work with the level 6 or 7 - but that time will come and for now I am happy to see her having so much fun! :D

I use to worry she would "lose" skills but honestly I would think that once they started working them again they'd come back. Again, she's only 7 - whats the rush? right?:p

I am glad you are finding the new gym a good fit for your DD. As you know we are looking at other gyms too. It is very stressful but at least you know that your DD is in a better enviroment. Maybe you could arrange a private every now and then so she can work on the L6 and 7 skills a little so she does not lose them!

That's the attitude. I think that she will do wonderfully at her new gym. Being with girls your age is a great plus. Abby loves being part of a whole bunch of girls that are close to her age. Learning basics and cleaning up form, etc, is something that will help her throughout her gymnastics life, so that is great, too. I wouldn't worry about the skills. She will soon be doing them again, I am sure. I don't think she will have any trouble getting them back. And like you said, she is only 7. Good basics, etc, will carry a gymmie a lot further than big skills without a solid foundation. :)

How exciting for her on the grips. Such a rite of passage for these girls. Glad she got to be part of it with her teammates.

As to getting skills, back, not a big skill like Jess was doing, but Abby has not been able to squat on or jump to the high bar since March. At her new gym, they don't get to jump to the high bar, etc, until they have a good kip. Yesterday was Abby's day and she was supposed to just be able to squat on and jump down. Well, she ended up jumping doing her squat on, jumping to the high bar and kipping on the high bar, too! I thought she would struggle with it for a bit, but she didn't! Yay! I am sure it will be the same for Jess and her skills. Especially as young as she is and how quickly she picked them up before.

Hope the new gym is as stress-free for you guys as it has been for us. It has been such a wonderful experience, not stressing over gym, knowing she is in the right place, getting great training with positive coaches. :D

so true! Only 7! Such a little girl. Plenty of time to learn all her skills. Basics though and clean lines are something that will carry her throughout her gymnastics career. My dd is now L9 and you can tell in competitons the girls that never had basic training for strong lines etc. The straight legs pointed toes. All that was drilled into her when she was little. It stayed with her and makes her new skills look so lovely. I agree changing gyms is so stressful but isn't it great you did it earlier and don't have to deal with the fall out the other girls still at the gym are going through. Neat way to do the grip introduction. It is such a big girl step! Looks like you'll have a wonderful summer at the new gym.

Sounds like you left the old gym at just the right time. Don't stress over getting to L6/7 skills right now. Sounds like Jess is having a great time with girls her own age and USAG is much more form/technique oriented than the program you came from. With good training in all the basics, she'll do well moving to harder skills without alot of trouble.

Big thing is it sounds like she's happy all the time and you both are away from a very bad situation!

I'm glad things are going well at the new gym, looks like you made the right move and Jess is happy with girls her age, that's what counts! Don't worry about the levels or skills, she's got a long way to go!

Glad it's going so well!! Sounds like it was definitely the right move for her :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back