New gymnast mom, and her tall little girl

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mochamom

Hi Everyone,

My 5 year old just started gymnastics a few months ago (about 3) and will be moving up to gym 2 next Friday. She LOVES the sport, so it seems like we'll be around for a while:). Besides gymnastics she also does ballet, fencing (foil not saber) and golf.

The only thing that worries me at this point is her height, and the continuation of the sport as she gets older. She is tall for her age and already towers over the other girls in her group. She takes it all in stride though, and her coach says she's progressing beautifully. Some of the other moms have mentioned that she has the "body type" for Rhythmic Gymnastics, but at this point she likes the tumbling, and bars. I guess we'll just see how it all goes.:)

Amanda and Charmienne

Welcome to CB!

I wouldn't worry too much about your daughter's height--you just never know who's going to stop growing early and who's going to shoot up!

Here's a story about a girl at our gym (she's 5'9"):

Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

Enjoy!

Thank you so much for posting the story link. I'm 5'9 and my hubby is 6'1 (we also have 5'10.5 14 year old ds), so knowing she can continue in the sport if she so chooses is a big boost. She really has developed a love for gymnastics, and with her personality I can see her sticking with it.:)

I wouldn't worry too much about her height either. I'm almost 5'8 (17 years old) and i still do gym. I am also the highest level gymnast in my club, so it hasn't held me back(i have a small club, so the highest level is only level 5 - which is level 6 training 7 in the US).
If she loves it then go for it. She may not become an Olympian, but it will be her love of the sport, determination, and commitment that gets her far, not her height.
Good luck to the both of you!

I'm tall too. like 5'7 i think at 13. sometimes i hate being tall cause it does make it slightly harder IMO but it also gives us beautiful lines, just look at nastia. use your tallness to your advantage :):)

Welcome to CB!
and don't worry aout your DD's height, she will to fine! lots of gymnasts are tall! she will do fine if she chooses to continue!:)

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket! I wouldn't worry to much about your DD's height. I was 5'5'' and a Level 7 gymnast. It doesn't matter you're height as long as you're having fun and loving it. :)

Welcome to CB! We used to live in the SF Bay Area too! I have a tall dd too. She is 13 yrs old, and currently, almost 5'5". According to her doctors, she is slated to be 5'10 or 5'11'' when she is fully grown. She has enjoyed the sport a lot. The height has it's pluses & minuses. Right now, bars are tough, b/c it is hard for her to get control of those long legs! But she does get a lot of positive comments about those 'long lines' of hers.

If your dd is enjoying herself, let her have at it! :)

I was always jealous of the tall girls!!! They make gym look so beautiful- check out Svetlana Boguinskaya or Svetlana Khorkina on Youtube, they were awesome!

MSL529,

I watched your video - your dd has very nice lines - she uses her height to her advantage very nicely. I noticed the medals; they look familiar - wasn't that the Sandollar meet? On the other end of spectrum, my dd is very short. 4'9" last time she was measured and she is 16 and L9. Ever since L5, she has been the shortest on her team and is even today she is shorter than some of the current 5s and 6s. I think it may help her; she just placed 4th AA at L5 regionals so short isn't bad either.

MSL529,

I watched your video - your dd has very nice lines - she uses her height to her advantage very nicely. I noticed the medals; they look familiar - wasn't that the Sandollar meet? On the other end of spectrum, my dd is very short. 4'9" last time she was measured and she is 16 and L9. Ever since L5, she has been the shortest on her team and is even today she is shorter than some of the current 5s and 6s. I think it may help her; she just placed 4th AA at L5 regionals so short isn't bad either.

Thank you, gymdad2, for your very nice comments! Yes, she was at the Sand Dollar Meet . She competed there the evening we moved out of our place in FL, and the next morning, we drove to TX to move in to our new home there! I was proud of her for keeping it together for that meet! The thing she was happiest about? --- The manatee medal! It's her favorite animal. She was so worried she would not do well on whatever event they gave that medal out for, lol!

Sounds like your dd is doing great, so glad for her! Being compact is a great advantage in this sport, as you know! :)

Thankyou all

I just wanted to say Thank You all for the responses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back