WAG New Head Coach - complete opposite of old head coach??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Evidently he saw something he did not like about the way they looked. Strength and form is what creates a very good gymnist.
I noticed you mentioned that the cost of repeating was one of your concerns. It is more cost effective to repeat a lower level than when they are a L 9 or L10. If they do not get the form and strength training in the lower levels they will be sure to repeat at the higher levels and that would make the cost you are quoting seem like chicken feed in comparison.

One more thing. I have seen many coaches come and go. Head coaches tend to be very head strong, and specific on how they want things. It takes a very special person with a healthy ego to be able to command a group of kids in Gymnastics. They generally dont come into a new gym and coach the way the kids and parents want.

You must support this person as they also can feel bad about entering hostile waters and this does nothing for morale or attitude. kids can easily give away parents negative and unsure feelings right back to the coach......trust me when I say, if you speak badly of the coach, your kid is telling the coach!.....however if this person feels they have parental support and the kids are behaving like learners, then the chances are you will be much clearer on what the direction of the program is. Open communication is key to success.

I have seen 1 coach in my 9 years come in to a program, and start by doing things the way the kids were used to with the intention of redirecting........The kids are wild, they look sloppy and they have many repeaters, and no high level gymnasts.....

Thank you everyone for the amazing feedback!! I have to say, when I wrote this post I was feeling sort of disappointed and skeptical towards the whole situation. But after reading all these comments and watching part of DD's practice today, I definitely feel more confident and on-board with the new HC.

I'm sure DD will be disappointed, but I now understand that this will help her in the long run even if it's painful in the short-term. I'll try and explain it to her as positively as possible. I went in and watched a little of her workout today, and was quite impressed at how hands on the new HC is. Everything they're doing seems very basic but all of their skills look so much tighter and cleaner (esp their handstands, which I noticed they did A LOT of). DD said she's probably done "a million" kips this summer but I could tell today how much it's paid off! No clear hips or flyways but I'm sure that will come later (hopefully).

Some of you mentioned if his plan was to go from 4 to 6/7 and I didn't get that impression from him. He actually said that he really likes level 5 and thinks it prepares the kids really well for optionals and wants the girls to go from 5 to 7 and take out level 6 from our gym. We have about 10 level 6s on the team right now and a small group of unhappy 5s who thought they were going to get their own optional routines but now have to repeat 5 because they're not ready for 7. He does not like level 6.

HC has implemented a LOT of strict rules since he's been to the gym and I think that's what scared some of the kids (and parents) off. Our previous HC was SUPER relaxed and at times let the parents dictate level placement and workout schedule. Some of the new rules by our new HC include: no shorts allowed anymore (any coaches know why this is?? Our girls have always worn spandex or GK shorts), no make ups allowed (only an issue for kids involved in other activities), and no tumbling team - you have to choose one or the other (we lost 2 kids due to this). We've lost 8 girls total since the start of the summer (yikes!).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback - I'm sure it will be an adventure. But we'll ride it out. I think he'll be good for the gym and our girls.

Evidently he saw something he did not like about the way they looked. Strength and form is what creates a very good gymnist.
I noticed you mentioned that the cost of repeating was one of your concerns. It is more cost effective to repeat a lower level than when they are a L 9 or L10. If they do not get the form and strength training in the lower levels they will be sure to repeat at the higher levels and that would make the cost you are quoting seem like chicken feed in comparison.

Great point!! Didn't think of this.

I personally think this coach is making a huge mistake. To go into a new gym and take over as head coach then repeat all gymnasts and stop all skill development to focus on basics is not really the best way to jump into the situation.

In the long run it is probably exactly what the gymnasts need to reach their full potential, however, if many of them quit or leave in the short term, they won't be around to see those pay offs.

Smarter to introduce changes gradually and work the. Through the program while developing a positive relationship with the gymnasts and staff and getting to know their motivations and goals and earning their trust first.

Gymnastics clubs are a business and they do need to make money to stay open. Kids are kids and won't realise that this is a better way to approach their training. And parents are usually clueless about the sport and won't see the benefits either. This is why you must gain their trust first.

I've thought this too. His first week he seemed very relaxed and approachable. He went on and on about how much talent our gym had and he just wanted to clean them up.....and then BAM. His second week he changed just about everything including the practice schedule, he moved kids to different workout groups, implemented new rules, etc. Someone commented that it was like ripping a band-aid off and that's exactly what it felt like. We lost a couple kids in the first couple weeks.

Reactions: sce
Thank you everyone for the amazing feedback!! I have to say, when I wrote this post I was feeling sort of disappointed and skeptical towards the whole situation. But after reading all these comments and watching part of DD's practice today, I definitely feel more confident and on-board with the new HC.

I'm sure DD will be disappointed, but I now understand that this will help her in the long run even if it's painful in the short-term. I'll try and explain it to her as positively as possible. I went in and watched a little of her workout today, and was quite impressed at how hands on the new HC is. Everything they're doing seems very basic but all of their skills look so much tighter and cleaner (esp their handstands, which I noticed they did A LOT of). DD said she's probably done "a million" kips this summer but I could tell today how much it's paid off! No clear hips or flyways but I'm sure that will come later (hopefully).

Some of you mentioned if his plan was to go from 4 to 6/7 and I didn't get that impression from him. He actually said that he really likes level 5 and thinks it prepares the kids really well for optionals and wants the girls to go from 5 to 7 and take out level 6 from our gym. We have about 10 level 6s on the team right now and a small group of unhappy 5s who thought they were going to get their own optional routines but now have to repeat 5 because they're not ready for 7. He does not like level 6.

HC has implemented a LOT of strict rules since he's been to the gym and I think that's what scared some of the kids (and parents) off. Our previous HC was SUPER relaxed and at times let the parents dictate level placement and workout schedule. Some of the new rules by our new HC include: no shorts allowed anymore (any coaches know why this is?? Our girls have always worn spandex or GK shorts), no make ups allowed (only an issue for kids involved in other activities), and no tumbling team - you have to choose one or the other (we lost 2 kids due to this). We've lost 8 girls total since the start of the summer (yikes!).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback - I'm sure it will be an adventure. But we'll ride it out. I think he'll be good for the gym and our girls.

This all sounds very positive. I think you'll be happy that your daughter is sticking it through. I also think the girls who left will probably not compete well in future seasons vs the girls who are going to stay and get strong enough to do higher level (L7) skills in another year or two. L5 to L7 is a fine strategy that will involve lots of hard work and drills, starting now. Getting a solid handstand and tight execution now is a GREAT sign that this coach will get your daughter there. TONS of kids drop out between L4 and L7, many from programs that haven't built up the basics. It gets too tough because they don't have the foundation, and they quit.

As for the no shorts, no make-ups, we have those rules, too, as do the other top gyms around us. Coaches here like the girls to be used to leo-only - "train as you will compete." And make-ups just get ridiculously hard to manage and there are usually at least a couple parents who push liberties too far, so a hard and fast rule across the board is reasonable to me for competitive JO teams. Tumbling class technique may also be different and 'screw up' gymnastics technique, so I am not surprised by that rule either.

Honestly, this all sounds like the best situation you could ask for. Good this coach has come now, at L4 for your DD. The other coach you describe sounds too lenient and more along a rec-gym philosophy (which is completely fine, if your DD just wants to have fun and flip, and is not concerned about reaching higher levels in the sport).

Keep us posted on her progress! I wouldn't worry about free-hips and fly-aways just yet. She will move much more quickly through skills and levels once she attains the solid foundation this coach is working her towards.

I imagine making so many changes so quickly was quite unsettling and it makes sense that a few were lost in the process. But hearing how lax previous HC was, kids were bound to be lost by tightening up expectations and there really is no way to do it gradually without it being just a mess.

Hearing what you are saying about her handstands and kips, I think his approach is a really good one. So much build on a good handstand that it's best to fix ti at level 4 than to push ahead before tightening it up. Also, doing level 4 again at 9yo and doing level 5 at 10yo is not bad. Esp. as HC wants to do 5-7.

Although he may not have gone about it in the most delicate way (although I'm not sure, maybe it is better to rip the band aid off), it sounds like everything he's saying is spot on. If your goal for your daughter is to do high level gymnastics, then you should definitely stay because the basic skills and form learned in level 4 are essential for success. These skills need to be rock solid. If your daughter is just looking for a fun and relaxed program and is okay with ultimately doing Xcel or only making it to level 7, then you could find a gym where they don't have very high standards for basic skills and form.

Form and strength are so important when you are in optionals. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. It will help the girls out in the long run! Especially if the goal is to jump to 6 or 7 next season. (My dd tested out of 4 and 5 at 1 meet last year and jumped right to level 6-she was lacking in form and strength at the beginning, she worked really hard and made up lost ground. She is training 7 now and finally feels like she isn't running to catch up).

Don't get me wrong, I can see where you are frustrated. I probably would be too. But coming from an optional standpoint, I can totally see where this will benefit the girls later down the road!

STAY. AT. THIS. GYM!

1. He's from Texas. Texas is a very strong gymnastics state. It's home to many of the best gyms in the country, so he's bound to be familiar with being in an area of high competition and high standards.
  2. He's working the girls' basic skills like crazy. If your daughter is to be an accomplished gymnast, this is essential. Period.
  3. He communicates with the parents. Many gyms unfortunately lack communication between coach and parent. His willingness to meet with you and discuss his plan is pretty awesome.
  4. His philosophy of "let's focus on good gymnastics instead of their level." This is what most accomplished, successful, and wise high-level coaches think. Competitions are the vessel through which a gymnast demonstrates her skills, and it gives her something to strive for. It is not the only thing that matters.
  5. He sees potential in the team, and he got right to work implementing his plan. He sounds ambitious and fond of a challenge. These are always attributes of a great coach.

I repeat: STAY. AT. THIS. GYM!

I agree with all the previous posters; change can be really tough, especially when it's super abrupt. However, I definitely think that this coach is 100% invested in augmenting this team's capabilities as a whole. Your daughter may not like it at first, but it's also crucial that you think of this in a positive light, and project that to your daughter. If your interactions with her are always positive, and you advocate the coach's choices and show that you are excited, she will begin to look at it in that way, too.

Plus, there are some major upsides to your situation:

• She is going to get very strong. Strength means confidence, and a more efficient body, which in turn means less injuries. Let's say theoretically that your daughter got to a high level with the old head coach; how many injuries do you think she'd have, especially due to his generally relaxed view on conditioning? My guess is quite a few.
  • She's going to gain confidence while repeating Level 4 because she'll be scoring higher at meets, and she'll finally know what it feels like to execute a routine. In other words, she'll feel prepared and confident as a performer. Not to mention, she'll still be having fun with the uptraining the new head coach promised! There also won't be any pressure to get the more advanced skills since there isn't an immediate deadline (competition).
  • She is a lot more likely to reach a higher level in the sport, and the life lessons she will learn will be greater than what she would have learned with the previous coach. The prior coach seemed too relaxed, and was more focused on keeping everyone happy and letting the kids have fun. This new coach seems very oriented around structure and success, as well as hard work, which can be super fun too!
Many people would kill for a coach like this. I wish you and your daughter luck! Keep us updated. :)

STAY. AT. THIS. GYM!

1. He's from Texas. Texas is a very strong gymnastics state. It's home to many of the best gyms in the country, so he's bound to be familiar with being in an area of high competition and high standards.
  2. He's working the girls' basic skills like crazy. If your daughter is to be an accomplished gymnast, this is essential. Period.
  3. He communicates with the parents. Many gyms unfortunately lack communication between coach and parent. His willingness to meet with you and discuss his plan is pretty awesome.
  4. His philosophy of "let's focus on good gymnastics instead of their level." This is what most accomplished, successful, and wise high-level coaches think. Competitions are the vessel through which a gymnast demonstrates her skills, and it gives her something to strive for. It is not the only thing that matters.
  5. He sees potential in the team, and he got right to work implementing his plan. He sounds ambitious and fond of a challenge. These are always attributes of a great coach.

I repeat: STAY. AT. THIS. GYM!

I agree with all the previous posters; change can be really tough, especially when it's super abrupt. However, I definitely think that this coach is 100% invested in augmenting this team's capabilities as a whole. Your daughter may not like it at first, but it's also crucial that you think of this in a positive light, and project that to your daughter. If your interactions with her are always positive, and you advocate the coach's choices and show that you are excited, she will begin to look at it in that way, too.

Plus, there are some major upsides to your situation:

• She is going to get very strong. Strength means confidence, and a more efficient body, which in turn means less injuries. Let's say theoretically that your daughter got to a high level with the old head coach; how many injuries do you think she'd have, especially due to his generally relaxed view on conditioning? My guess is quite a few.
  • She's going to gain confidence while repeating Level 4 because she'll be scoring higher at meets, and she'll finally know what it feels like to execute a routine. In other words, she'll feel prepared and confident as a performer. Not to mention, she'll still be having fun with the uptraining the new head coach promised! There also won't be any pressure to get the more advanced skills since there isn't an immediate deadline (competition).
  • She is a lot more likely to reach a higher level in the sport, and the life lessons she will learn will be greater than what she would have learned with the previous coach. The prior coach seemed too relaxed, and was more focused on keeping everyone happy and letting the kids have fun. This new coach seems very oriented around structure and success, as well as hard work, which can be super fun too!
Many people would kill for a coach like this. I wish you and your daughter luck! Keep us updated. :)

WOW! Thank you for such a well thought out response. I really needed to read this. And maybe I'll send it to a few of my fellow gym mom friends as well. ;) THANK YOU! I'll keep you all updated on how the season progresses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back