Parents New Here - Not on Team Yet (Long)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Two lessons a week plus these extras will cost $332 a month just for her. I also have an older son who takes rec, so it would even be more for us. If team costs more than that, then we should stay with rec, because $400 a month for kids who are NOT on team is just insanity.

I think we'll do one lesson with him this coming week to see what it's all about. I'll see if I can get more information out of him, and if not, I'll see if I can talk to someone higher up. He didn't seem like he was trying to hide info, but I didn't know what to ask until I got home. Of course.

The ONLY reason I can imagine this to be the way instead of a developmental team or class is if they only move kids into those classes once a year, and she missed the deadline. But even then, why the rush? Should we just hang out in rec for another year and try to make team then?

And p.s. I cannot imagine her going to a 3 hour practice at this point. That is quite a jump from a one hour class at this age. I wonder how other kids adjust to that? Time to start digging for more info...

FWIW, my DD practices 16 hours per week and it costs us about $375/mo. And that's after 3+ years of preteam/team. But meet fees/uniforms can easily run an additional $1000/yr. Plus don't forget what you spend once you're at the meets.

It's costly, but we find a way to make it work.

But $332 per month for rec seems really expensive! Especially with no guarantee that she'll make team.

At DD's original gym, they didn't really have a real pre-team when she was first starting out, but they had a invite class for kids to work on strength and flexibility. It changed with each rec session. There, it was also very hush-hush, and information was hard to find. I had to get up the nerve to ask for specifics.

The private lesson would make me a little bit nervous. Depending on cost, I'd feel better doing an extra rec class, unless there's one specific thing that seems to be missing. But that's just me, six years after DD started. :) I won't even do privates for team right now (despite DD asking).

Good luck deciding! I find the world of gymnastics intimidating, but fun.

You need to ask them if they have an "Xcel" team or will be starting one.

However, I would schedule an eval at another gym.

And communication is not the best in some places so it's still possible...

Good luck to you and your DD. Do realize that experienced coaches know what they are looking for in gymmies, so, while you and I may see a 6 year old girl who is excited about gymnastics but seems to do about the same stuff as the other kiddos in her rec class, the coach may see a super coachable kid who naturally points her feet. Who is also small, strong, and flexible. He might be thinking the privates will replace the pre-team, and he can move her into team as if she transferred from another gym. He might be trying to catch her up.
Girls can compete Level 3 at 6 yrs old, though USAG doesn't require it. Level 4 is the first level required and they need to be 7 to compete that level.

Regardless of what happens, have fun on your gym journey. I always enjoy watching my daughter. I can't believe that I am the mother of someone who can do the things she does!

I would add to the points that have been addressed here (something I wish I knew before I started) that gyms in many areas are very competitive with each other. That means if you are moving you kid or checking out another gym be careful to stay under the radar (wear a ski mask if possible :D).
Another thing to consider (I have known the family who went through it) is that some ultra-competitive gyms will not let your son be in their gym but your daughter in another, bad for morale they say (BS I say).
And the last thing that I have seen is: that (at least in our area) there is a gym that sounds like yours, inviting girls who are 5yo or younger only to their pre-team (won’t even look at the older girls), however they have no problem taking higher levels from other gyms, so it’s possible to quietly have your daughter compete in another gym for a couple of years and then think about transfer if you still want to.
Good luck

Your gym sounds a lot like our old gym. As I said in my previous post, they also invite girls to the pre-team at the age of 4-5, and it's almost impossible to get on their team. Although, there are exceptions, I know at least 2 girls who were invited to the pre-team at the age of 7, so you never know.
But if your daughter really wants to do this, look at other gyms as soon as possible. I wish someone explained to me this whole process two years ago, when I was still hoping that my DD would make the old gym's team. Instead, she was invited to XCell team, wasted the whole year there, and now, when she is finally on JO team in another gym, she is having a hard time catching up with the girls who started at this gym around the same time DD started at the old gym.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes on Saturday!

Oh my gosh, no! My stellar math skills strike once again! LOL I was dividing the monthly by the hours for ONE week, not the whole month! LOL!!! OK so correction......We currently pay $7.5/hour for 10 hours per week. Once she moves up, we'll be paying $5.85/hour for just shy of 15 hours/week. Sorry about the confusion!
That sounds soooo much better! I was like, "WHOA! That is INSANE!!" LOL

Really glad you are investigating, even if you aren't getting the answers you really hoped for! It's good to know going in if team is a real possibility.

And definitely check out other gyms. I know gyms can be very competitive (and some gymnasts have been asked to leave their gyms immediately when it was discovered they were looking at other gyms), but I can't imagine a young rec girl who isn't even in the team track would raise any interest in looking around. I hope you find a place for her to do the gymnastics she loves!

$332 a month for rec, even WITH privates, is expensive...we pay $355 a month for 22 hours a week of Level 10 training although there are gyms in our area charging $450 a month for Level 10s who go 26 hours a week...both still roughly 4 bucks an hour..I'd check out some other gyms too, just for comparison..

IreneKa - that is EXACTLY why I want to figure this out. Team wasn't on our radar when I signed her up for rec, but now that I know she really wants to compete, I don't want to miss her chance. I mean, what if we went through private lessons every week through spring just to be told that she never had a chance? I'm quite sure privates will help her tremendously, but if another team will take her now (or soon), then it would be cheaper for us to go that route. Our rec rates are very high, but the private lessons are OUTRAGEOUS. He wants $45 for each 1/2 hour session. I've never heard of anyone else paying that much. I mean, is he Bela Karolyi??? ;) What's up with that price?

Gymmomtoo, I also don't think we will raise any eyebrows by looking around. She isn't on anyone's radar at this point (except for this one coach, possibly). I can't imagine that we'll burn bridges by looking around at this point.

Of course, for reasons already mentioned, staying at this gym would be ideal for our family situation right now. I *really* hope I can get some good answers within the week, so it will be easier to make a decision.

Thanks SO much for all of the advice! You guys are awesome!

We paid $60/hour for privates at our old gym and I am pretty sure that all of the money went to the coach who did the private. Our gym didn't have any issues with girls doing privates. There was one girl who did a private every single day after practice for an hour. So her parents were paying well over $1,000/month including tuition. I still don't get it, but to each their own. Our new gym rarely allows privates. IF they are done, I think it's something like $25 for 30 minutes and $50 for an hour and it's paid to the gym and then the coach is reimbursed their regular hourly rate.

And I just wanted to add, don't be surprised if the gym finds out you're trying other gyms. Not saying you should care or not try other gyms, do whatever you want! And I definitely think you should look around and find the right gym for your daughter because it's much more difficult to switch later on in the levels. From our experience, it seems to be "gym code" for them to tell one another when this happens. It happened when our daughter switched from pre-team at one gym to pre-team at another. We were asked to leave before we told them we already WERE planning to leave. And it happened again when we were moving out of state for my husband's job and I was calling different gyms here to get more information. Our last gym knew we were moving before we ever told anyone.

UPDATE: we had class today, so I asked her Tuesday coach about what had happened and if she had ever heard of that before. She immediately passed me off to someone in the office who seemed VERY surprised that he would promise team to us. She took my number and promised to call me after she had spoken to the office manager. I really don't want that coach to get in trouble, but I do want to get to the bottom of this in order to know whether or not we should invest in private lessons. If she has absolutely no chance for team, then we're going to stay with rec and forget private lessons altogether. Here are a few things this lady said worth mentioning:

1) Girls in the preteam class are 4-5 years old and are hand-picked by one coach. They come directly out of the preschool rec classes. She mentioned having that coach take a look at my DD to give me an opinion on whether or not she shows promise, but the overall impression I got was that it was not likely for her to get in the preteam class, and that seems to be the ONLY way to move to team.

2) She had NEVER heard of a coach promising team to anyone and found it hard to believe that he would do that.

This sure makes me wonder if he's just trying to take our money. I watched my DD closely in class today, and she doesn't stand out from the other girls as being exceptional. In fact, looking back on it, the only thing he told me about why he thought she could make it was that she is short and strong, and "short is good for gymnastics."

So, I'm pretty bummed, I have to say. I NEVER expected that she would make this team since it is so competitive, so when he said that it sure got my hopes up for her. She just loves gymnastics.

I looked at other gyms in our area, and the rec prices all seem to be close to this gym. I haven't called for an eval anywhere else yet, because I want to get to the bottom of this situation first. I mean, it's possible that he just really believes she can do it, but I don't want to put all of my eggs in that basket anymore.

We've had free trials, summer camps, birthday parties, or have taken classes at most of the places around, and nothing seems to compare to the kind of instruction or environment she's in now. But that isn't even the biggest reason I want to stay where we are. My oldest son takes rec classes, too, and he LOVES it. I can't find another gym around with a boy's program. If I switch gyms for her, then I'll have it drive to two gyms in order to keep them both happy. Yuck.

Anyway! I sure appreciate all of the advice from all of you. I'm still going to take her on Saturday, and hopefully I'll be able to sit down with this man and get some answers. I don't like being taken for a ride, so he'll need to explain exactly why he believes in her and HOW she can make team if it is so exclusive there.

Team may not be in her future at this place. I can come to terms with that pretty easily, but I hope that she doesn't miss the window for team at another gym if that is where her heart lies.

Ugh. I feel your pain. I just want to add that I find the communication at gyms to be weird and confusing. Having just dealt with being told one thing by two of DD's coaches and then being told something COMPLETELY different by the gym owner, I share your frustration. Personally, I would go look at other places. You haven't burned a bridge here, so you could potentially come back. That really stinks though about your son. Seems hard to find good programs for boys.

And I just wanted to add, don't be surprised if the gym finds out you're trying other gyms. Not saying you should care or not try other gyms, do whatever you want! And I definitely think you should look around and find the right gym for your daughter because it's much more difficult to switch later on in the levels. From our experience, it seems to be "gym code" for them to tell one another when this happens. It happened when our daughter switched from pre-team at one gym to pre-team at another. We were asked to leave before we told them we already WERE planning to leave. And it happened again when we were moving out of state for my husband's job and I was calling different gyms here to get more information. Our last gym knew we were moving before we ever told anyone.

Whaaat?? This is scary and makes me feel a teensy bit paranoid. Does this stuff really happen?

Whaaat?? This is scary and makes me feel a teensy bit paranoid. Does this stuff really happen?

With today's technology, it's pretty easy actually. Team members who switch gyms often stay in touch with former team members. They notice someone they recognize trying out at new gym (or familiar parent in the lobby) and immediately text their friend at the other gym...who mentions it to coach, or parent, or another team mate. It's a small world really, and appears to get even smaller as the levels get higher.

I am pretty sure the coaches at the gyms we were planning to switch to (and ultimately did) just called up her old coaches and told them. And from what I've read on here and heard around different gyms, that's pretty normal.

The same thing happened time just recently. We were trying out at a different gym and one of the coaches that had quit the current gym text them and told them we were at the new gym. I was a little angry but my philosophy is my money spends in any country( not that I have a lot)I can go anywhere I want. Out here we don't have issues of being turned away at gyms unless it's in the middle of the season.

I have a family member whose DS was a competitive gymnast for many years at the same gym, reaching level 9. His father was asked to do some work (construction) at a rival gym. He agreed to do the work as it paid well but it was strictly professional from my family members perspective. They were completely happy with the gym they were at and had no intention of switching gyms. Well the gym that they had been at for many years caught wind of the fact that the dad was doing work for the rival gym and asked my family member to leave. The gym was convinced that my family member was planning a move. My family member was so hurt as they had been with that gym for so long and really saw the gym as extended family.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back