New Here

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have viewed this the forums here for awhile and find a great deal of information posted by the members.

I have one 13 yr old DD who is training L8. She has suffered a pretty serious injury this year but has not given up yet.

I look forward to having a place to share her struggles/triumphs with other parents, etc. that can relate to the unique sport of gymnastics.

Welcome to CB.

I am so sorry to hear about your DD's injury. I hope that she heals quickly and well and that if she is able and wants to is back at it again soon.

I am sure you will have plenty of advise for us w/ a L8 !!

My DD is 8, she has 2 meets left @ L3 and then is moving to L4.

Welcome to the CB! Sorry to hear your DD was injured:( What type of injury? Is she healing up ok? These gymmies always amaze me with their determination! My DD is also 13yrs old, but level 7.

She suffered a stress fracture in her back. Fortunately it was not complete and was caught in the early stages and she had complete boney healing vs. being left with just scar tissue healing. They callled it an imcomplete spondylolysis. Took an xray, MRI and CT scan to have a definitive diagnosis.

She was off from normal practice for 3 months. She went in to condition, stretch 3xwk for 1 1/2 hrs each time. No low back extension was allowed but she did not have to wear a brace. This was very hard for her but she stuck it out. Unfortunately, that is a long time and then you need to work about an equal time frame to just return to the skills you had let alone try to gain new ones.

Welcome to CB! Sad to hear bout your DD's injury but hopefully she will get better soon! you should tell her about this site, there are plenty of gymnasts her age on here.

Hi Momto3!

Sorry to hear about the injury, hope she feels better soon:)

I have 4 DDs.. a 9 year old level 7, a seven year old level 5\6 (level 6 hopefully, she had her first lvl 6 practice as a "test":scared:) A 5 year old level 4 (very bummed she is not able to compete due to not being old enough:() And, a 3 year old advanced pre-schooler.

Welcome to CB:)

Wow! What a trooper! I'm sure being away from the gym & full training, for so long was very stressful to her. But being a nurse...I'm sooooo happy you gave her plenty of time to heal properly:) Best of luck to her! I'm sure you'll find lots of support here. But we are so happy to have you & all of your insight too. Post away...I'm sure you have a lot to offer:)

Welcome to you and your daughter.. This is a great sight to share all aspects of the sport and you'll meet many nice parents and coaches alike . Sorry to hear about the injury. Hopefully shes on the mend. I would have to check with Bog to be absolutely sure but I do think we have an "on the mend type of fairy" we can send your way

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Sounds like some of you are way busy with multiple kids in this sport. I have 2 older kids who never did gymnastics.

GymnasticsMom: Can't imagine trying to juggle three competing gymnasts. Might just be saving you some extra stress.LOL

gymjourneymom:

Thanks for the support on our decision. Giving her back the time it needed in order for her not to have long term problems was our goal. She of course really had some emotional struggles with this as she had to come to terms with where she was at as far as strength, skills, etc. Pretty much like a grieving process.

Welcome momto3. I hope your dd is able to make a full comeback - I know how frustrating it is for them when they are injured. We just went through a wrist thing with my 11 yo dd. She was a level 7 but about a month ago we decided to call it a day. I hope you and your dd can hang in there - it is really tough on them mentally when they see their teammates progressing and they are sitting on the side conditioning. Good luck :)

gymjourneymom:

Thanks for the support on our decision. Giving her back the time it needed in order for her not to have long term problems was our goal. She of course really had some emotional struggles with this as she had to come to terms with where she was at as far as strength, skills, etc. Pretty much like a grieving process.
I have the utmost respect for gymmies & parents who allow an injury time to heal properly. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for her to watch her team mates progess while she conditions(and heals). But gymnastics is a marathon. Her returning healthy is what matters....not what level she comes back as. This is her body for life! She needs to nurture it now...keeping in mind that if not taken care of now...injuries can come back & haunt you for life. Who knows some of her team mates that are moving up...may be burned out by next year & quit gymnastics anyway, or move away. Team mates progress is not how she should judge herself. She shouldn't stress over what she cannot control. She needs to keep the focus on herself & her healing & HER progress...not comparing herself to her team mates. Easier said than done though, of that I'm sure! She needs to think of herself as Rocky! Best wishes to you & your DD! Please keep us posted on her progress.:)

Maybe she should watch the first Rocky movie! It has been nice to see so much agreement on our decision. The comment over not stressing what you can't control hit the nail on the head. She just recently came to that conclusion and she has been back to full practice since May.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back