Parents New member – Norcal gym advice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TEP

Proud Parent
Hello, I’m new to this forum but have already learned a lot by reading everyone’s posts. I’m looking for gym recommendations along the peninsula in the bay area for my daughter. (We live in between San Francisco and San Jose and I’m willing to drive to find the right gym) She is 7 and due to medical issues was not able to be involved in gymnastics until about a year ago. She has been taking 1 time a week rec classes and loves the classes and wants to take gymnastics more seriously…her dream is to someday be able to compete at a lower level. It appears to me both by observation and talking to other moms, the gym we are at is truly looking for a certain body type for their pre-team and unless you are pulled at a very young age you are stuck in the recreational classes. While she is not heavy, she also isn’t the super skinny little girl look that they seem to want. Her biggest weakness right now seems to be her upper body strength; she just got her back hip circle but is struggling to get the pull over. I asked at her current gym and it seems the chances of ever making it to the pre-team/team are not likely. If anyone is in our area and could share their experience with the coaching philosophies of the different gyms or gyms that are more open to girls working hard even when they might not have a certain look I would appreciate it, and I’m happy to speak offline if that is easier. Thanks in advance!

I don't have much advice on gyms out there currently but I grew up in Mountain View which is smack dab in the middle of San Francisco and San Jose. Totally miss it, it's a great place to live! I went to twisters when I was young and it was a lot of fun, I only did rec there but from what I hear they have a good team program as well (I think they're in Sunnyvale now?)
West Valley is also a very good gym, produces college gymnasts and at least one Olympian, they're in Campbell.
If either of these are close enough for you, I'd say bring her in to one or both of these gyms for an evaluation and see what they say, make sure they know you're interested in team one day. Each gym is different and I wouldn't give up on team just based on what your current gym has said, you never know :)

Good luck!

Reactions: TEP
I am on the other side of the country, so I can't really help. Also, please don't think am I discouraging you from pursuing artistic gymnastics. Girls of all shapes and sizes can be successful in artistic.

But there was a gymmie at our gym who did not have the "typical body type", and she struggled with bars also. She switched to TNT, and has been happy and successful for a few years. I just wanted to leave that as an option, in case you didn't know about it.

I would not be looking elsewhere for a team that may accept her until she has her pullover. If she is keen to do more, add a few more classes a week so she is getting the repetition and strength development.

I am on the other side of the country, so I can't really help. Also, please don't think am I discouraging you from pursuing artistic gymnastics. Girls of all shapes and sizes can be successful in artistic.

But there was a gymmie at our gym who did not have the "typical body type", and she struggled with bars also. She switched to TNT, and has been happy and successful for a few years. I just wanted to leave that as an option, in case you didn't know about it.

Thanks, sorry for a novice question but what is TNT?

I would not be looking elsewhere for a team that may accept her until she has her pullover. If she is keen to do more, add a few more classes a week so she is getting the repetition and strength development.

Thanks for the advice! Yes I agree she needs the pull over, at the gym we are at you only work on bars every other week (and then it's only about 20 min max of the class) and we just increased to two times a week but still only bars every other week even with 2 classes.

Thanks, sorry for a novice question but what is TNT?

Trampoline and tumbling- it's fairly robust here in the Bay Area. My YDD was flat out told she was too heavy for artistic. It hurt and I was pissed, but she tried T&T after that rejection and she does love it very much- and the girls have much more diverse body types at meets.

Thanks for the advice! Yes I agree she needs the pull over, at the gym we are at you only work on bars every other week (and then it's only about 20 min max of the class) and we just increased to two times a week but still only bars every other week even with 2 classes.

I understand why gym's structure their classes that way, but I personally don't like it. Perhaps it is worth looking around for a program that is more progressive at the recreational level and possibly offers a longer class for a 7 year old.

This sounds great, a 90 minute class and clear detail on the skills involved. This may be too much of a drive but it is the kind of program I would look for
http://airborne-gymnastics.com/programs/girls-recreational/

There is San Mateo Gymnastics, and Peninsula Gymnastics on the peninsula.
I understand why gym's structure their classes that way, but I personally don't like it. Perhaps it is worth looking around for a program that is more progressive at the recreational level and possibly offers a longer class for a 7 year old.

This sounds great, a 90 minute class and clear detail on the skills involved. This may be too much of a drive but it is the kind of program I would look for
http://airborne-gymnastics.com/programs/girls-recreational/
Thank you! I've been searching for some place that offers longer recreational classes like this, I will follow up with it tomorrow. Thanks!

I concur with others to add another (or longer) Rec class if she wants to try out for team at some point. Are you familiar with the Xcel program? They compete just like JO, but the hours are fewer so kids can balance other activities better. Xcel is not a pathway to elite or Division I college, but if you are just looking for her to compete, have fun, be fit, bond with a team, learn discipline, etc, then most Xcel programs are open to a wide range of skill levels, ages, and body types (moreso than JO). Lots of Xcel families on here who can give you more details if that is an interest.

San Mateo is a fantastic gym with lots of high level gymnasts, fast tracked TOPs success stories, etc. Peninsula has lower team hours and fewer girls in the highest levels, also a great gym and perhaps a better current fit for your description of your DD. There is a ton to choose from in your location.

Trampoline and tumbling- it's fairly robust here in the Bay Area. My YDD was flat out told she was too heavy for artistic. It hurt and I was pissed, but she tried T&T after that rejection and she does love it very much- and the girls have much more diverse body types at meets.

Unfortunately, it is not as available in the peninsula.

Unfortunately, it is not as available in the peninsula.

Depending on where they live there is CYC with T&T. Since the days/hours are so much lower a slightly longer commute may be more bearable. Just tossed it out there.

Reactions: sce
Thank you! I've been searching for some place that offers longer recreational classes like this, I will follow up with it tomorrow. Thanks!
Airborne may be a tough place for her to get on team. Thee have really high standards, and out kids on pre-team at high hours really young.

Depending on where they live there is CYC with T&T. Since the days/hours are so much lower a slightly longer commute may be more bearable. Just tossed it out there.
I'll second this suggestion. My DD is at the only gym in our NorCal (though not bay) area that has T&T. It's a diverse set of kids with a diverse set of skills. We traveled to Texas two weeks ago and saw kids of literally all body types. At our first NorCal meet, there was a girl with severe physical limitations who competed and did well enough to medal. T&T is much more laid back and much more open to those outside the "type" preferred by artistic.

I'll second this suggestion. My DD is at the only gym in our NorCal (though not bay) area that has T&T. It's a diverse set of kids with a diverse set of skills. We traveled to Texas two weeks ago and saw kids of literally all body types. At our first NorCal meet, there was a girl with severe physical limitations who competed and did well enough to medal. T&T is much more laid back and much more open to those outside the "type" preferred by artistic.
Absolutely. Our gym has TNT with a very diverse group of kids.

The only TNT gym I know of in the Bay Area is in the East Bay, Pleasanton I think. If you are mid-peninsula, it might not be too bad of a commute on weekends, but not any time during the work week.

The only TNT gym I know of in the Bay Area is in the East Bay, Pleasanton I think. If you are mid-peninsula, it might not be too bad of a commute on weekends, but not any time during the work week.
Oh yes, that would be a horrendous commute during the week.

OP, traffic in that area is definitely horrible so although your willing to drive the distance, just be sure to take the traffic into consideration as it can take much longer to go relatively short distances depending on the time of day.

Someone also mentioned San Mateo, that is s great gym as well. Luckily you are in an area that has multiple great gyms so you've got lots of choices and lots of options. I'm confident you will find a great fit and a great new gym home for your DD.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back