WAG New NCAA rules on "unofficial visits"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The NCAA may not have gone far enough with this new policy but it is at least a step in the right direction. They could easily go with the "no public announcements of verbals until Jr year" but we all know it will still be happening behind closed doors. The only way to prevent all this is to shutdown the camps which will never happen, or prevent the coaching staff from interacting with the gymnasts during the camps, which defeats the purpose of girls going to the camps. So again, never happen.

but even if they do that, can't the coaches still make verbal offers at JO nationals and at the gymnasts' own gym?

They need to basically say "no verbals" but as you noted, it would still go on behind closed doors.

It's not that I don't think early recruiting is a problem in general, but with the Ivies versus XYZ State , there is zero guarantee of admission, so the Ivies can recruit away but if you're not Ebee or a gymnast on that athletic and academic level, you're not going to stop your recruiting efforts because the Ivies or Stanford say they "want you" as a freshman.....because the academic part is what will trip you up.

I think with Ivies or Stanford, you're more likely to see what Rachel Flam did...committed early to Alabama , but when accepted to Stanford officially, "switched her commit"...

Flam never committed to Alabama.

So isn't this new policy actually worse for the kids bc now they will be deciding on a college without even visiting it? I know nothing about college recruiting so forgive me if this question is dense.
I do not think the proposed legislation prevents a student-athlete from visiting a school; you can't visit said school with any contact or coordination with the athletic department and the program recruiting you. I can't wait for the creative ways to get around that....

Like I said, "camps":rolleyes:
That is the built-in legal way to get around it. I was thinking more along the lines of a gymnast visiting Big U under these guidelines and "accidentally" running into the coaching staff somewhere on campus....those types of coincidental meetings....

Reactions: SMH
So isn't this new policy actually worse for the kids bc now they will be deciding on a college without even visiting it? I know nothing about college recruiting so forgive me if this question is dense.

Yes, you are correct this hurts the gymnasts and the NCAA teams. As others have said people will continue to commit early. But now the gymnast will have less information about the school and the school will have less information about the gymnast. I understand the intent, but it's a horrible application. I'm not sure why it's sport specific, if it's such a "good policy" then why not across the board.

As a side note it helps the JO programs who have traditionally sent gymnasts to NCAA programs. The NCAA coaches will have to rely on the opinions of the JO coaches much more than previously. So if you are a strong gymnast with a relatively unknown (by NCAA coaches) coach this rule will make it more difficult to garner an offer. That makes these programs who are "connected" to the NCAA programs much more attractive.

I'm sure this summer our gym will have a greater number of prospectives........

As a side note it helps the JO programs who have traditionally sent gymnasts to NCAA programs. The NCAA coaches will have to rely on the opinions of the JO coaches much more than previously. So if you are a strong gymnast with a relatively unknown (by NCAA coaches) coach this rule will make it more difficult to garner an offer. That makes these programs who are "connected" to the NCAA programs much more attractive.

I'm sure this summer our gym will have a greater number of prospectives........

Who you know has always been an advantage.

Who you know has always been an advantage.

Yes, but my point is because the schools can't host the kids for the weekend (Friday/Saturday) on campus and more importantly talk with them, they will need to rely on what their JO coaches say about their attitude, personality, ability to handle stress, etc. There is a lot to be learned by spending 2 days with a gymnast. You also get to learn about their parent/parents which gives the schools more information about the kid.

Yes, but my point is because the schools can't host the kids for the weekend (Friday/Saturday) on campus and more importantly talk with them, they will need to rely on what their JO coaches say about their attitude, personality, ability to handle stress, etc. There is a lot to be learned by spending 2 days with a gymnast. You also get to learn about their parent/parents which gives the schools more information about the kid.
But they can host and talk to them. As juniors in HS. A nice after Sept 1 trip.no one has to commit blindly

not necessarily - they could just wait until the Jr. year to host and and learn about the student athletes before making a verbal offer? I think that is the intent of the new rule change.

I don't see anything that can be done except to eliminate all verbals... but then what do you do with all the kids already with a verbal? Currently I have one athlete who has several offers and frankly... she just isn't ready! So consequently she is losing them one at a time because they need to fill the spot (I don't blame them for that). But it is sad that some kids are just not ready to decide so early. On the other hand I have some kids who are absolutely ready to commit to anywhere. :) So it is a double edged sword and early commitment may be bad for some but it also may be good for many. What to do, what to do....

I don't see anything that can be done except to eliminate all verbals... but then what do you do with all the kids already with a verbal? Currently I have one athlete who has several offers and frankly... she just isn't ready! So consequently she is losing them one at a time because they need to fill the spot (I don't blame them for that). But it is sad that some kids are just not ready to decide so early. On the other hand I have some kids who are absolutely ready to commit to anywhere. :) So it is a double edged sword and early commitment may be bad for some but it also may be good for many. What to do, what to do....
Regarding your one athlete who isn't ready....isn't ready how?

They could easily be grandfathered in but moving forward, no more verbals until Jr year. It would not be difficult to roll out. The difficulty would be the college coaches adhering to it - publicly and behind closed doors. It is all about integrity - being willing to follow the intent of the policy - no verbals means wait until junior year to give your program and the girls time figure out what will be a good fit. That can't be done when the girl still has 4-5 years left before they even step foot in a college gym. I really would love to see the stats on verbals from 9th grade and below - how many are rescinded by either party and why.

And what you wrote in bold - I am figuring you mean that it is sad that girls like these are being passed up because they are not ready to make such a huge commitment so early, not that it is sad the girls can't figure out what they want as 8th-9th graders.

It would have to be grandfathered in, something like "from now on, no verbals for athletes graduating 2022 or later"(current 7th graders). Though early verbals may be good/bad on an individual basis, I don't think they can be considered good for the system or young athletes as a whole.

Some of you have a misunderstanding of a verbal commitment. It is not a NCAA rule. It is simply a school saying we will give you a scholarship when you are eligible and the gymnast says ok I will (future tense) accept your offer when I'm eligible. That's it. It is not binding, it doesn't exist as a rule anywhere. That's why it's not addressed by the NCAA. There is nothing to "grandfather in". The NCAA is obviously trying to prevent early verbal commitments by making it difficult for schools and gymnasts to learn about each other. But they happen in all sports and the NCAA has decided to make an example out of gymnastics. They will still happen (even the great almighty NCAA can't legislate what people say). But they will commit in a poorly informed environment now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back