WAG New Recruiting Rules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That rule DID NOT pass. Please read the rule directly from NCAA:

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=103609

It did not pass for 2 reasons: enforceability and timing. If colleges are allowed to talk with athletes June after Sophomore year, it did not make sense to have to wait till August Jr year to make the offer.

"There are some concerns with the enforceability of limiting oral offers of aid until a date that occurs after the first opportunity for a coach to communicate with a prospective student-athlete. By removing the restriction on oral offers of aid, the proposal will allow such offers to occur on the first opportunity for a coach to communicate with a prospective student-athletes."

13.9.1 Oral Offer of Aid -- Sports Other Than Basketball, Football and Men's Ice Hockey. In sports other than basketball, football and men's ice hockey, an athletics department staff member shall not, directly or indirectly, provide an individual an oral offer (or indicate that an offer will or may be made) of athletically related financial aid, other institutional financial aid, admission to the institution or as a member of an intercollegiate team before August 1 at the beginning of the individual's junior year in high school.

So they can receive verbals after their sophomore year? Since that is the first time they can talk?

I will never understand the need for girls to commit in middle school.

It is all so strange. Coaches barely do anything on the MAG side until the junior year. I mean, they know who is out there, and they talk to coaches, but nothing is really done much until they actually sign. Sure is less stressful.

Last edited by a moderator:

It did not pass for 2 reasons: enforceability and timing. If colleges are allowed to talk with athletes June after Sophomore year, it did not make sense to have to wait till August Jr year to make the offer.

"There are some concerns with the enforceability of limiting oral offers of aid until a date that occurs after the first opportunity for a coach to communicate with a prospective student-athlete. By removing the restriction on oral offers of aid, the proposal will allow such offers to occur on the first opportunity for a coach to communicate with a prospective student-athletes."

13.9.1 Oral Offer of Aid -- Sports Other Than Basketball, Football and Men's Ice Hockey. In sports other than basketball, football and men's ice hockey, an athletics department staff member shall not, directly or indirectly, provide an individual an oral offer (or indicate that an offer will or may be made) of athletically related financial aid, other institutional financial aid, admission to the institution or as a member of an intercollegiate team before August 1 at the beginning of the individual's junior year in high school.
Then why is there a live webinar tomorrow from a recruiting person regarding the new changes??? Our coaches (one of whom is the sister to KJ Kindler) told us that the rules had passed

There are definitely late bloomers but you don't think there are benefits to doing the same skills/routines year after year? Or that coaches would still prefer the girls who have demonstrated the consistency of many years. is it any wonder that most of the national qualifiers in the senior age groups are girls who are repeat National qualifiers?

I really hope this happens for so many reasons. It would be great for girls whose goal is college (not elite) to be able to train to not peak until later and to reduce some of this craziness of high hours at such young ages and wearing girls out before they even get to high school much less college... I hope this goes into effect and then I hope it changes how coaches plan for training the gymnasts. If recruiting doesn't happen until after Sophomore year, then it doesn't matter how many years girls are doing the high level skills, all that will matter is how well they are doing the skills by age 15ish.

of course, there are many new rule changes, not arguing that.... - that particular rule you pasted is just not one of them - just follow the link from the NCAA!

the logic is that if gymnasts/parents can't communicate with coaches until sophomore years, verbals should not happen.

Then why is there a live webinar tomorrow from a recruiting person regarding the new changes??? Our coaches (one of whom is the sister to KJ Kindler) told us that the rules had passed

of course, there are many new rule changes, not arguing that.... - that particular rule you pasted is just not one of them - just follow the link from the NCAA!

the logic is that if gymnasts/parents can't communicate with coaches until sophomore years, verbals should not happen.

So no more phone calls between coaches and gymnasts? Did that rule pass?

So they can receive verbals after their sophomore year? Since that is the first time they can talk?

I will never understand the need for girls to commit in middle school.

It is all so strange. Coaches barely do anything on the MAG side until the junior year. I mean, they know who is out there, and they talk to coaches, but nothing is really done much until they actually sign. Sure is less stressful.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think the intent is that all communication happens after sophomore year and that they can receive a verbal at that time... that particular rule was just not well written in relationship to the timing of communication... eg, why have them wait till august Jr year if you can start talking June sophomore year....

"...the proposal will allow such offers to occur on the first opportunity for a coach to communicate with a prospective student-athletes."

Reactions: sce
wow! that's interesting- they actually moved UP the date that coaches can now contact athletes directly. class of 2021/sophomore will be getting calls this June...

Nothing about prohibiting earlier contact from athlete=>coach or prohibiting verbals like was rumored.
It does prohibit the athlete from contacting the coach too.

13.1.3.2.3 Telephone Calls From an Individual -- Sports other than Basketball, Football and Men's Ice Hockey. In sports other than basketball, football and men's ice hockey, an institutional staff member may not receive telephone calls from an individual (or his or her family members) June 15 at the conclusion of his or her sophomore year in high school.

It does prohibit the athlete from contacting the coach too.

13.1.3.2.3 Telephone Calls From an Individual -- Sports other than Basketball, Football and Men's Ice Hockey. In sports other than basketball, football and men's ice hockey, an institutional staff member may not receive telephone calls from an individual (or his or her family members) June 15 at the conclusion of his or her sophomore year in high school.
That seems to be about the only major change. But seems to me that verbal offers can still come through the club coaches

That seems to be about the only major change. But seems to me that verbal offers can still come through the club coaches
Yep but it does then put it on club coaches to be sending videos and stuff to colleges. That would be a ton of work for club coaches and that, im afraid, would mean they would only be willing to do for for a few select athletes- not everyone on the team to multiple schools, etc.

Yep but it does then put it on club coaches to be sending videos and stuff to colleges. That would be a ton of work for club coaches and that, im afraid, would mean they would only be willing to do for for a few select athletes- not everyone on the team to multiple schools, etc.
Most coaches are already following the social media and YouTube of the gymnasts they are interested in. So they can still follow their progress that way.

Most coaches are already following the social media and YouTube of the gymnasts they are interested in. So they can still follow their progress that way.
Yeah, if you’re already on their radar but what if you aren’t? For many, I believe the emails athletes send have been pretty critical for initially getting the attention of college coaches.

Things are so different for the boys. They want emails from the gymnasts, during their junior year with videos.

Yeah, if you’re already on their radar but what if you aren’t? For many, I believe the emails athletes send have been pretty critical for initially getting the attention of college coaches.

So they send them starting after their sophomore year. In all
Honesty, college coaches are watching JO nationals. So they will have sone idea of who is who and what they can do.

So they send them starting after their sophomore year. In all
Honesty, college coaches are watching JO nationals. So they will have sone idea of who is who and what they can do.
Im sure they are and that’s good. We haven’t started with the emailing as mine is Level 9 this year, but it seems like all we keep hearing is how it’s so important to send emails to every school you’re interested in once you compete level 10. And to keep emailing updates. I’ve always imagined that has to be soooo many emails for these coaches to wade through. I’m sure they’ll be happy to receive less!

Our gym has a rule of not going to camps until you've competed level 10 and you’ve been communicating with a college and been invited. I wonder if they’ll change that rule since that won’t be possible until much later now. Just thinking out loud :)

Reactions: sce
Now I am confused. So athletes will no longer be able to email college coaches? I would think it would be fine, as long as the coaches don’t write back. I don’t get this at all....:rolleyes:

There are definitely late bloomers but you don't think there are benefits to doing the same skills/routines year after year? Or that coaches would still prefer the girls who have demonstrated the consistency of many years. is it any wonder that most of the national qualifiers in the senior age groups are girls who are repeat National qualifiers?
if the culture changes, you may find less young L10s competing 5+years because the coaches can pace their development better. And it's not necessarily what/when they are training but what they are putting in routines, on hard surfaces for years and years. I would think the college coaches would prefer it if these girls came into college with less wear and tear and getting ready to peak.

Yes, I think the intent is that all communication happens after sophomore year and that they can receive a verbal at that time... that particular rule was just not well written in relationship to the timing of communication... eg, why have them wait till august Jr year if you can start talking June sophomore year....

"...the proposal will allow such offers to occur on the first opportunity for a coach to communicate with a prospective student-athletes."
they should have left it to August 1. It allows the athletes to start talking with the coaches, visit the schools, and have time to make a decision before they have to accept an offer in fear that it will disappear if they wait.

Maybe I'm reading all of this wrong and am way off, but I guess I don't see why this is a problem. Why would a coach even need to make an offer at the very first opportunity they have to contact a potential recruit? June after sophomore year and August before Junior year are the same Summer if I'm not mistaken? It would mean giving a space of less than 2 months for a coach and athlete to formally communicate with one another before making an offer. I feel like, while it might be hard to monitor, is more than reasonable. Sure a coach might know the quality of gymnastics of a potential recruit by that time, maybe what they've heard from a coach or what they've observed at meets, but I feel like a space to actually communicate with the athlete is also important. Likewise, it gives the athlete that summer (mostly just the month of July) to visit the schools with whom they've been communicating and who have expressed interest before accepting any offers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back