WAG New Recruiting Rules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

but really? would you as a parent feel comfortable having daughter accept a verbal having never spoken with a coach? or vice-versa- would

Yep but it does then put it on club coaches to be sending videos and stuff to colleges. That would be a ton of work for club coaches and that, im afraid, would mean they would only be willing to do for for a few select athletes- not everyone on the team to multiple schools, etc.
You can email- the rules are no telephone calls from recruit to college coaches until 6/15 sophomore. Currently, they can talk if calls initiated by athlete

Now I am confused. So athletes will no longer be able to email college coaches? I would think it would be fine, as long as the coaches don’t write back. I don’t get this at all....:rolleyes:

What about the kids who have already verbaled, now finishing 9th. Do they have to pause talking to the coaches for a year?

I think it would be crazy to commit then have NO contact for a year or more. Hard to maintain the connection at that point.

Does anyone know how it works if you have verbally committed and then the coaches change? Is the verbal commitment honored or do you start over?

Reactions: sce
I think it would be crazy to commit then have NO contact for a year or more. Hard to maintain the connection at that point.
The earliest they can communicate is June after the sophomore year. Junior year starts that next fall.

The earliest they can communicate is June after the sophomore year. Junior year starts that next fall.
I think she was referring to the current verbal commits who still cannot have contact with the coaches until their sophomore or junior year.

Verbals are non-binding so it really doesn't matter, the schools require a certain level of accomplishment prior to an actual signing. We're aware of several this fall that fell through, either the gymnast was not as good as she was when she accepted the verbal so it turned into a walk-on (and went elsewhere as a walk-on), a gymnast exhibited questionable behavior and lost a verbal offer, another was injured and was no longer at the same level (had not competed in 2 years), so they dropped her and she accepted another offer (and still unable to compete for the school this year). If there's a coaching change, I'd contact the new coach (if not a junior maybe through the club coach). And this is just a small sampling, all different schools, happens much more than people seem to be aware of, but not as frequent as in football.

yea.. don't forget the gymnasts who switch commitment when the college coached changed... I'm actually surprised the majority of recruits do end up at the school to which they initially verballed - unlike football and bball as you noted.

Verbals are non-binding so it really doesn't matter, the schools require a certain level of accomplishment prior to an actual signing. We're aware of several this fall that fell through, either the gymnast was not as good as she was when she accepted the verbal so it turned into a walk-on (and went elsewhere as a walk-on), a gymnast exhibited questionable behavior and lost a verbal offer, another was injured and was no longer at the same level (had not competed in 2 years), so they dropped her and she accepted another offer (and still unable to compete for the school this year). If there's a coaching change, I'd contact the new coach (if not a junior maybe through the club coach). And this is just a small sampling, all different schools, happens much more than people seem to be aware of, but not as frequent as in football.

They are banning all recruiting contact between coaches. Zero, nada. And I’m talking current 8th graders (class of 2023)
I’m finding this hard to believe. I can’t see coaches not talking to coaches. What about the current thing where gymnasts email the coaches and send links and updates? The coaches don’t answer or ask, but this has been allowed and encouraged.

Did anyone else who watched the webinar find it ridiculous that paid recruiting services can talk to college coaches on behalf of your younger child but parents, coaches and the child themselves can not? She pointed this out repeatedly as well as pointing out that she expects to see a boom in her business which is great for her but terrible for families. Hopefully, that changes so that parents don't feel it's required to hire a recruiting service adding yet another expense to an already expense heavy sport.

Did anyone else who watched the webinar find it ridiculous that paid recruiting services can talk to college coaches on behalf of your younger child but parents, coaches and the child themselves can not? She pointed this out repeatedly as well as pointing out that she expects to see a boom in her business which is great for her but terrible for families. Hopefully, that changes so that parents don't feel it's required to hire a recruiting service adding yet another expense to an already expense heavy sport.
What would it take to become "a recruiting service"?????

I hope people are smart and don’t use recruiting services. What a joke that they can talk to the coaches but the actual people involved can’t? It’s like hiring an agent for our child. Do we really want to go that route? Hiring agents?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back