New scoring system!! ERG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OK whats with the new scoring system. I just dont understand it. I dont know whats a good score and whats a bad one. And its soo sad that theres no such thing as a perfect 10 anymore :( :( Why did they have to go and switch it up it was fine the wasy it was. :(

I personally prefer the new scoring system, I think its much fairer and there is still the chance to earn the perfect 10.

The new scoring system is actually made up of 2 scores added together. The D score (difficulty value) and the E score (execution score).

The E score is still out of 10, and this is when you can still earn the perfect 10. Everyone starts with a score of 10 and loses points for mistakes. The deductions are bigger than the old code. A small mistake like un pointed toes is a 0.1 deduction, a moderate mistake like lack of body tension on a skill is a 0.3 deduction while big mistakes like hugely bent legs are a 0.5 deduction. A fall is 1.0 deduction. A perfect routine will get a perfect 10.

This is then added to the difficulty score. Each vault just has a score attached to it. From a front handspring vault which is worth 2.4 to a Handspring double front which is worth 7.1.

For the other apparatus the D score is made up of 3 things. The first is the element values. Which is the top 8 skills in the routine. 0,1 for an A, 0.2 for a B, 0.3 for a C and so on.

The second part is the compositional requirements. This is 5 requirements on each apparatus. For each requirement they fulfill they get another 0.5 added to their D score. For example on bars it is
1. a flight skill from high to low bar and a flight skills from low to high bar
2. A release move on the same bar
3. A 360 pirouetting skill
4. 2 different close bar elements and skills in different directions
5. A D value dismount

The third part of the D score is the connection bonus's like on the old code.

Nicely explained--thanks! I like the new system too--although it takes some getting used to.

Alright, forgive me for being ignorant...

Is this the new way to score optionals only or everyone including the compulsories?

Or, are we not talking about JO at all?

th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

As far as i know they don't use this system anywhere in the USA for gymnastics except for elites.

In Australia we use it for all our levels from level 1 right the way up. I think it would help if the USA adopted the new system for their level 1-10 system and their college gymnastics, as it would help all the gym fans become more familiar with it.

We use it in Canada at all levels of gymnastics and now we are getting used to it. I still haven't seen a perfect score though. I quite like it, but then I understand how it works. A lot of our parents are totally confused by it and ask never-eneding streams of questions.

Being relatively new to the world of gymnastics, I can't really claim to completely understand either system ... but with the new system (the only system my daughter has ever been scored on), would it be true to say you can just minus the start value off their score to see what they would have scored in the old system?

e.g. a score on bars of 14.3 with a start value of 6 ... is that equivalent to a score of 8.3 in the old system?

OK whats with the new scoring system. I just dont understand it. I dont know whats a good score and whats a bad one. And its soo sad that theres no such thing as a perfect 10 anymore :( :( Why did they have to go and switch it up it was fine the wasy it was. :(

:eek: a new system!! I'm not even use to the old one. Is it being used at optional levels in the US.

I think USAG is in the minority not using it.

Perhaps USAG will come around.

The decision to allow elite gymnasts to compete at some local JO meets in classes scored using the new international system (as opposed to competing in an "open" Level 10 class judged using the old system) may be a step in that direction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back