New to chalkbucket... as a poster ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SonshineMamaJH

Proud Parent
I’m brand new to chalkbucket as a poster but have been lurking for years.

My dd2 (13.5) started gymnastics at 11 and had a goal of wanting to do Xcel. As a former gymnast,
I thought it was too late so I went googling. Found this forum and have been lurking for about 2.5 years, just soaking up knowledge when needed. She was invited to join Xcel silver training gold in 2018 and progressed very rapidly. She also had a huge growth spurt. At the end of the season her back started hurting very badly .....

Most recently I’ve been lurking because she was diagnosed w an L5 pats defect/stress fracture (one side w no compression or movement of the bone). I have read tons of threads here and it helped me wrap my brain around her injury and search until we found a PT that specializes in gymnasts. I’ve told her and her coaches bwo and fwo May be a part of her past.

I’m posting instead of lurking due to some issues with one coach not respecting my daughter’s restrictions while returning to activity. Pushing her and telling her “do it anyways” when my daughter explains she cannot do that due to a back fracture. I am trying to figure out how to word my concerns here because the rest of the gym has been absolutely phenomenal and I don’t want to bash them. This is a decent coach who just gets easily annoyed and frustrated ... if I have the energy I will type them up either here or start a new thread.

Thanks for reading. Now that I’ve joined, I’m excited to be posting!!!

Edited to add— my daughter heard I joined and also joined!!!

My dd2 (13.5) started gymnastics at 11 and had a goal of wanting to do Xcel.
Edited to add— my daughter heard I joined and also joined!!!
You have to be 16 to join. If your daughter is only 13, she is not old enough to join ChalkBucket :( ... but she is old enough to be a lurker. ;)
I hope her coach finally "gets it" ... and you may need to have your daughter do an end run around that coach ... talk to the head coach about it.

Oh good to know about her age. She used her real birthday she said so I will tell her tomorrow. She posted in the gymnast forum.

We already contacted her gym w the concerns.

Yep, I would talk directly to the coach. Lay out that "do it anyway" could be the end of her gym career and cause progression of the injury that could lead to back pain (or worse) well into adulthood.

It's hard for me to believe any decent coach would push a girl with a fractured back; DD has the same diagnosis and her coaches have made it clear that she never has to do the offending skills again. Gymnastics is for a short time - they have their bodies forever.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back