Parents New to gymanstics and have some questions about talented and motivated 5 year old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peachy88

Proud Parent
My daughter is 5 and just started beginning gymnastics when she was four and a half. She has progressed amazingly fast and is extremely self motivated to practice constantly. For instance on Saturday she went to open gym for 3 hours and then came home and practiced at least another 3 hours. Again, all self motivated.

She has all level 3 skills except the front hip circle on bar and the back hand spring on floor, but cannot compete until next year (her birthday is in July). She wants to compete now, but we have no gyms that do level 2 competing in our area. I am afraid that by next year when she can finally compete level 3 she will be bored with those skills. She also has really good form.

On another note, the preteam programs here only work 1 maybe 2 days in the gym, but I am worried as she gets stronger that she will be wanting to work more and do more at home and injure herself. I am not trying to make her do anything, she wants to do more. Do you have suggestions?

Sounds like she's loving gymnastics, which is great! Here's the thing- wanting more is not necessarily a bad thing. You don't want her there too much at such a young age- it's a recipe for burnout and injury. There's a reason USAG has minimum ages for those levels!! I get it- I had a kindergartener who was asked to pick one other thing to do other than gymnastics and she asked if, instead, she could just do more gymnastics, lol.

I'd let her get out her desire for gymnastics as she plays- outside on the playground, in your backyard, etc. She's 5. In a few years you'll look back on this post and laugh, and wonder how you were ever wishing for more hours in the gym. Enjoy the free time now, give her a chance to explore other things and play with friends before it all becomes a lot more. Trust me, I'd give my left arm for my kid to have a little more free time now at 10 years old. No matter her talent level, pushing her or not at five is not going to make a difference long term.

2 days in the gym is enough for a five year old. Fun at open gym is OK, though an adult drove her there and 5 year olds aren't technically primarily self motivated, even though it can appear that way. At that age most of what they are doing is to please the adults they love, that's just where they are at developmentally.

My suggestions would be during the non gym days go with her on a long bike ride, take her swimming, have her help you rake the leaves and make the beds and vacuum, and read and read with her. You probably already know this--she should not practice back handsprings at home, good way to crack a wrist or mess up a growth plate.

She's 5....leave her where she is, she'll be fine. Pushing kids at a young age, or any age, is a total recipe for burnout.
I totally agree with this. She is motivated, adding more hours now might kill that motivation. Also part of gymnastics is perfecting things. Competing 3 next year is appropriate.

Where is her gym placing her? Let her coaches lead the way, if they have already taught her the level 3 routines, they must have plans for her already right?

Sounds like she's right where she should be - on pre-team learning skills for next year when she's old enough to compete level 3. There's a big jump in skills between level 3 and level 4 (kips and jumping to high bar, fhs over the "real" vault, etc...), so she will have lots to work on next year while she's competing level 3. The most important things are to keep it fun and make sure she's learning skills the correct way because bad habits are hard to break. One thing she might work on at home is press handstands - they generally take years to master and that may keep her busy instead of doing back flips on the couch. :)

Sounds like she's right where she should be - on pre-team learning skills for next year when she's old enough to compete level 3. There's a big jump in skills between level 3 and level 4 (kips and jumping to high bar, fhs over the "real" vault, etc...), so she will have lots to work on next year while she's competing level 3. The most important things are to keep it fun and make sure she's learning skills the correct way because bad habits are hard to break. One thing she might work on at home is press handstands - they generally take years to master and that may keep her busy instead of doing back flips on the couch. :)

Thanks! She can do the handstand from the straddle, but not from her legs in front yet.
Avoid backbending/bridging skills at home. Her back will thank you later.

Why? I am very interested in making sure she has a positive experience. Is there a certain age that is appropriate? I had read not to push the splits until they are at least 5, but she can already do the splits so she doesn't have to "work" at it.

She should only do these skills in the gym under the supervision of a coach who can ensure that her shoulders are engaged and opened properly so she's not putting too much stress on her lower back. Even in the gym, she shouldn't be doing a lot of this stuff. Overdoing and improperly doing backbending skills will increase her risks for back instability, lumbar fractures, and lumbar slippage as she gets older.

She should only do these skills in the gym under the supervision of a coach who can ensure that her shoulders are engaged and opened properly so she's not putting too much stress on her lower back. Even in the gym, she shouldn't be doing a lot of this stuff. Overdoing and improperly doing backbending skills will increase her risks for back instability, lumbar fractures, and lumbar slippage as she gets older.

That sounds terrible! I had no idea. She doesn't like to do back bends so she doesn't do them often at home, but she does do kick overs sometimes. They haven't said anything at the gym about her not doing these things at home. We have a gym in our backyard (literally) that she has been going to, but they seem SUPER casual about everything so we are trying out another gym. Should I meet with the new gym and discuss skills that are appropriate to practice at home?

Thank you for your expertise.

It sounds like your DD has come a long way in a short period of time! She must be talented!! But slow down.... I know right now it seems like gymnastics is her thing and she's going to be in gym forever and you want to make the best choices for her and give her every opportunity and you're a bit worried bc this is all so sudden and new and you really had no idea that she would take to gym so quickly and you're worried you don't know enough to make the best/right decisions.....With all the skills she's gotten in such a short time, she doesn't have the most important skill that truly translates into longevity in the sport bc she hasn't had time to develop it yet.....a love and true passion for the sport. Yeah sure, she can't get enough right now. She's progressing daily. But the hard times are coming. Its the love for the sport and passion that develops in these early times that drives them through the rough spots. I've seen more times than I can count: if you don't give them time to learn to love it, I mean really love it, they won't have what they need to get through the not-so-great moments.

It sounds like your DD has come a long way in a short period of time! She must be talented!! But slow down.... I know right now it seems like gymnastics is her thing and she's going to be in gym forever and you want to make the best choices for her and give her every opportunity and you're a bit worried bc this is all so sudden and new and you really had no idea that she would take to gym so quickly and you're worried you don't know enough to make the best/right decisions.....With all the skills she's gotten in such a short time, she doesn't have the most important skill that truly translates into longevity in the sport bc she hasn't had time to develop it yet.....a love and true passion for the sport. Yeah sure, she can't get enough right now. She's progressing daily. But the hard times are coming. Its the love for the sport and passion that develops in these early times that drives them through the rough spots. I've seen more times than I can count: if you don't give them time to learn to love it, I mean really love it, they won't have what they need to get through the not-so-great moments.

She was invited to come watch a home "practice" meet this weekend. She says she really wants to go. Is this a good thing to do or not?

She was invited to come watch a home "practice" meet this weekend. She says she really wants to go. Is this a good thing to do or not?
It's a great idea. Gives her a chance to see what a meet is like before she gets to competitions herself.

This is going to sound kind of mean but I just mean it in a realistic way. Back handspring and front hip circle are the main skills in level 3. The other skills in level 3 are just review from level 2 and building amplitude. So she is level 2/preteam which is where she should be. Some gyms might compete Xcel bronze in your area, but if you're happy with your gym and coaches I don't see that as a reason to switch now. I would just stay put for now and enjoy this year while you don't have to pay assessments, competition uniform fees, etc. She won't be bored next year in level 3. There is a lot to learn. It is nothing like being in the preteam or even level 2 where the routines are much simpler and less to remember or just skills and drills.

My daughter is 5 and just started beginning gymnastics when she was four and a half. She has progressed amazingly fast and is extremely self motivated to practice constantly. For instance on Saturday she went to open gym for 3 hours and then came home and practiced at least another 3 hours. Again, all self motivated.

She has all level 3 skills except the front hip circle on bar and the back hand spring on floor, but cannot compete until next year (her birthday is in July). She wants to compete now, but we have no gyms that do level 2 competing in our area. I am afraid that by next year when she can finally compete level 3 she will be bored with those skills. She also has really good form.

On another note, the preteam programs here only work 1 maybe 2 days in the gym, but I am worried as she gets stronger that she will be wanting to work more and do more at home and injure herself. I am not trying to make her do anything, she wants to do more. Do you have suggestions?

It will work out. She won’t get bored. There are lots of skills to learn..My daughter was a level 2 at age five and then moved up to three. That was in 2012 when the levels changed. Then they made her repeat three again. And by 5 my daughter already had her back handspring, but they still made her repeat the level because when they changed they had to start doing the old level 4 skills. I was concerned about boredom also at that point but it all worked out she’s a 10 year old level 8 now.

It will work out. She won’t get bored. There are lots of skills to learn..My daughter was a level 2 at age five and then moved up to three. That was in 2012 when the levels changed. Then they made her repeat three again. And by 5 my daughter already had her back handspring, but they still made her repeat the level because when they changed they had to start doing the old level 4 skills. I was concerned about boredom also at that point but it all worked out she’s a 10 year old level 8 now.

That is great to hear. She almost has her backhandspring now (with just a finger spot) and the front hip circle seems to be a timing issue that will work itself out. She loved the meet and came home and immediately started practicing more. She has learned the level 3 routine just from watching others in the gym and practices for fun. She is eyeing more skills as she just got her front handspring off the tramp and almost on the floor. Having a blast that's for sure!

Oh, and her tooth came out, but she swallowed it today!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back