Parents New to gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you only consider WAG? What about different disciplines? Have a look at Team Gym, it's great fun, they don't start competing too early and older kids got chance to progress too. Maybe you'll find the Teamgym club nearby, it's getting more and more popular in UK.

They have some form of igc in England. DD competed against girls from England. We also host some English girls who visited.

There are lots of opportunities to compete at all sorts of levels in the UK.

Apart from British Gymnastics levels and grades which would need getting her into a squad there are also many invitationals which a variety of clubs attend.

Some small clubs only attend local invitationals and the level *can* be very basic so many children who compete at these would be considered 'rec' by higher level clubs. It is all about finding a local club that suits you.

If she wants to have a go at competing and she is only 6 I would say there is a place for her somewhere if you can seek it out. Definitely try for a development squad trial. And then try and find a local club doing local competitions. PM me if you need some help.

Hi EvaB do i just google teamgym?
Thanks Jenny, I really am clueless regarding gymnastics, swimming and ballet were so much easier to understand with having lists of tasks that need to be passed to move up.
DD probably isn't as good as we thought (tried a tumbling class the other week and watching there she is was probably average but the better ones were older) but she wants to learn more and would love to do competitions (that's if she really does understand what competitions involves which at six I'm not sure she fully does). If a walkway is clear when out and then she is cartwheeling and at home cartwheels on the beam and makes up her own little floor routines etc.
I note you are a coach Jenny, what do you look for if someone rang asking for a trial for pre team if you don't mind me asking.
Also would you have any idea what the rec coach is looking for DD to move upto intermediate, one of the girls who moved up the other month only got her bridge kick over two, three weeks before moving up. DD's been doing her bridge kick over from about 3 months of lessons, initially taught herself but then corrected by class once they realised she could do it.

Thanks EvaB, will look now, I don't think she would be too bothered if she didn't do bars. Is team gym similar to acro dance? (she's expressed an interest in acro dance, just timetable clash at moment but once moves up swimming classes which should be in a couple of months then may try a class) Just with you saying all with team mates.

I'll private message you a video from the competition mine did when she was 7 and 8. You can have a loom.

I note you are a coach Jenny, what do you look for if someone rang asking for a trial for pre team if you don't mind me asking.
Also would you have any idea what the rec coach is looking for DD to move upto intermediate,

Usually you are looking for girls who listen carefully and work hard, persevere when they can't do something and have lots of energy.

Flexible and strong with good balance and coordination. Natural spring (bounce) and ability to jump high and it helps if they are fast runners. An ear for music and natural poise also beneficial.

You will never get everything so some of everything and lots of some is fine.

They don't have to have skills more the potential to gain them.

Thanks Jenny,
DD definitely listens, constantly practices, not sure about energy.
She is strong but not sure if flexible.
Loves running and plans to do cross country when the weather is warmer and likes to come for a jog with me.
If she is anything like me she wont have an ear for music but likes to dance and create gymnastic routines.
The above helps me understand a little about why she may have not moved up just yet even though she was able to do a skill or two quite a bit before one of the girls who got moved up. I think possibly with DD being nearly two years younger she maybe needs to work on her confidence etc.
As a coach do you think DD will be likely to get bored being in a class with children who are beginners and can barely roll or if she loves it as much as she says will she be happy to just keep going even if she doesn't learn new skills.

In a rec system in a leisure centre she will only ever do rec. Although a good rec program will teach her lots of skills as she goes along. If she has fallen in love with gymnastics and would like the chance to compete you need to move her to a club.

Just a little update. We are still on numerous waiting lists for clubs but next week DD's having a trial in the intermediate rec class. Don't know what the difference is between the classes but DD is happy has she is hopefully going to learn new and excited things.
If in the next couple of months we get a call to join a beginner programme at one of the clubs do we go or will we be better staying in the intermediate rec class for 6 months and gaining a few more skills then maybe calling these clubs and asking for a trial for pre team or development (sorry not sure terminology just seen on various club websites).
Thanks

I would ask the clubs for a squad trial as soon as possible, as then you bypass the waiting list, and if they see something in her, the sooner she starts squad the better. Otherwise, I would keep going to her intermediate rec class while trying out other gyms when the opportunity arises. If she gets into a squad they might insist she drops it then, but if it's just a rec class there's nothing to stop her doing both for a while to see which works out for her best. Team Gym looks good but it depends on your area as not that many clubs do it yet although I think it's growing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back