New to our 3/4 level Preschool Class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you have read my post Holding Kids Back Intentionally, this will be easier to understand. This was my 4 year olds first day working out with the fives and 6 year olds that are now competing level 3 but getting ready to try out for our level 4 team in March. She fit in just fine and had a blast. After the practice the coach said that they want her to come 2 days and also find a time for a private class on top of what the other kids are doing. The other kids have another practice where the just go over the level 3 routines so she won't be doing that because the coach thinks it is a waste of time because she is not old enough and she thinks extra time could be spent on uptraning. So that equals 3 hours a week for now. I didn't want to schedule a private class yet because I want her to have time to adjust to her new schedule with the least amount of stress. Or trade one class for a private. I had to drag my daughter out of the gym.
To sum things up I just wanted to get an idea of what other 3/4 preteam classes are doing. I didn't watch the whole practice because it was a snow day at school and I bought my 2 boys with me to the gym. I also spent a lot of time talking with people I know there.
Here is what I paid attention too: Floor- All the level 3 and 4 elements. The class did the running roundoff onto a trampoline while trying to connect the backhandspring onto a huge mat. My DD got tired of this and started just doing them on the floor. She didn't get in trouble so that is good.
Bars- pullover, back hipcircle, leg cuts front and back, mill circles, and then connecting the level 3 routine. Tap swings on the big bars.
Vault- no clue!
Beam- Full handstands, all level 3 elements
Conditioning- Parrallel bars to train cast handstands, crazy hard press drills I have never seen before but can see they are for control and strengh, leg lifts on the stall bars, v-ups, rope climb, and lots of bar conditioning
Does that sound like what your gyms are doing at that level? I just know my DD had a blast being with other kids and being allowed to do some of the things she can. Sorry, I didn't feel right about videotaping today. I didn't think it was fair to my DD and I didn't want the other moms to think I was a crazy gym mom.
She did some idle time but did presses or other things and the coach didn't complain.

Last edited:
It sounds like a great start. I am so glad to hear that she enjoys the class and is allowed to do more of the skills she can. I still worry that it won't take her long to get bored with this class. It sounds like she is much more advanced than these kids despite being younger. The coaches do seem to be on the right track by emphasizing the up training and not worrying about the level 3 routines for her.

It does sound very much like a classic level 3 class, that you would see in most gyms. There is usually a lot of flexibility work as well with splits and walkovers being the main focus.

I can understand your wanting to videotape it. It is certainly a big step in a little 4 year olds life. It sounds like she is going to be incredible.

I would also say it was very good that she did do a few things like getting bored and doing the round off BHS on floor and some presses when there was idle time. It would have given the coach a chance to really see what she can do. Perhaps from next week it will be more tailored to her needs now that they have this knowledge.

It sounds like you have a very talented DD that wants to work. I'd be careful with the whole private lesson thing, especially at this age. You also don't want her to burn out. I think you have the right idea in taking it a step at a time and letting her work the skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back