Parents New Xcel Division?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

novagymmom

Proud Parent
As I've mentioned in other posts, my daughter recently transitioned from Level 9 to Xcel Diamond. In trying to learn more about Xcel, I came across the following discussion point from the most recent Xcel Committee Meeting Minutes:
Addition of a Division above Diamond with fewer difficulty restrictions and/or a separate Division within Diamond that would accommodate Development Program Level9/10 gymnasts who want to transition to the Xcel program. Regions 3, 6, 7 & 8 have volunteered to pilot the added division for 1 year, with the possibility to be included in the Xcel Code in 2022.

Does anyone know anything about this? This would make my daughter very happy! (And we are in Region 7 so perhaps piloting??)

Thanks!!

Black diamond

That’s an awards they give out above diamond at one of the dance comps, if you get 99 or 100 out of 100.

Oooh, fun naming! Emerald or Blue Diamond maybe? They are more expensive than regular diamonds.

I do like the idea of adding a division. It'll give girls in xcel who have the skills but don't want to go to JO another option as well. And, we might even start seeing some lower division colleges picking up these athletes at some point.

As I've mentioned in other posts, my daughter recently transitioned from Level 9 to Xcel Diamond. In trying to learn more about Xcel, I came across the following discussion point from the most recent Xcel Committee Meeting Minutes:
Addition of a Division above Diamond with fewer difficulty restrictions and/or a separate Division within Diamond that would accommodate Development Program Level9/10 gymnasts who want to transition to the Xcel program. Regions 3, 6, 7 & 8 have volunteered to pilot the added division for 1 year, with the possibility to be included in the Xcel Code in 2022.

Does anyone know anything about this? This would make my daughter very happy! (And we are in Region 7 so perhaps piloting??)

Thanks!!
So this new division would be aimed at former 9s and 10s?

I should preference that I’m not a “it’s not fair” person and this truly did not bother me, but if aimed at level 9/10s switching to xcel, I wonder if it is in response to situations similar to this:

My older dd competes Diamond. She’s done JO and Xcel levels through her time, highest JO being 7. At several meets this year, she’s competed Diamond against a few gymnasts who had been USAG regional qualifiers in level 9 multiple years and one who had been a level 10 regional qualifier. There was a buzz and a lot of nervousness and feeling intimidated among some of the competitors. The former 9s and 10s were easy to pick out and fun to watch! Their routines were beautiful and far above the other gymnasts. Not surprising, they swept the awards. No bitterness here, they followed the requirements and were better and deserved the wins.

It seems like in my state, anyone competing HS goes into Diamond after the HS season ends. There were very few diamonds at the meets while HS season was going on and then a whole lot after it ended. I don’t know anything about HS gym, do HS routines transition better to Diamond than any other level?

From what I've seen about HS gymnastics, there is a HUGE range. There are Level 9 gymnasts and there are cheerleaders, or others that tend to be strong at tumbling, but have little to no experience on the other events and are doing skills more similar to a Level 3 (though often being very adept at finding leaps/jumps/turns that can get them the difficulty requirements). Similarly, I suspect that those same routines would transition anywhere from Xcel Gold to Diamond. I assume you see more Xcel competitors at all levels after HS season ends.

And as for the potential new level, I think it would be aimed both at Levels 9/10 that are transitioning and at Xcel Diamonds that want to continue to grow and progress. But again - just trying to learn more about it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back