Coaches New Xcel Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are looking to grow our program by starting an Xcel program that will run alongside our JO program. The most sensitive issue is that we are trying to to present it as lightly as possible when moving kids in that direction and we already have some girls in mind who would clearly benefit from participating in Xcel. (Can't come to as many practices, has other commitments, costs, etc)

Has anyone had this issue and how you approach parents and gymnasts about possibly transferring over to Xcel from JO?

We just want the kids to be successful and while we always say that, there is always going to be some questioning from parents and kids. Am I being kicked off team? Am I not good enough? Etc...

Any help would be appreciated on "How to promote and present the Xcel Program"

Contact Donna Franzini, the Norcal Gymnastics State Chair. We talked a lot about this at Xcel Region 1 Championships in late May and she runs two Xcel tracks in her gym. One is strictly out of the rec program and the other are girls who practice on the JO teams yet will sometimes compete Xcel instead due to time and resource commitments and if they are not ready for the next level (say a L6 training L7 or L7 training L8).

Cassie Rice would be another person to reach out two. I think she is the head of Region 1 Xcel Gymnastics.

This is a great question! We run both the Xcel program and JO program at our gym. At this time we have had more kids move from the Xcel program to JO rather than the other way around. The only ones who have moved from JO to Xcel were families that did not want to commit to the number of practices required by team. One thing we try to do is to make both programs equally important. The Xcel kids get to use optional music at a lower level and there practices are more laid back. This usually attracts the "older" gymnasts that may be more appropriate for the Xcel program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back