Coaches New Xcel Silver Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

titanic

Coach
Judge
Hey all,

I was not very happy to receive the Xcel Updates recently, which had Xcel Silver now competing the same vault that JO Level 3 will be turning into in 2021. This is the descriptions of the two vaults allowed that I got in my updates email

Handspring over mat stack sideways
1/4-1/2 on, repulsion off to land facing mat stack

Mat stack 24’’-48’’ + 2’’, with 5’ width.

Emphasis on body shapes, not height or distance.

I was upset at this because when the survey for the upcoming compulsories came out, I sent feedback in with how much I loved the now-old Xcel Silver vault. Now they are changing the great Xcel Silver vault to something that I don’t think will work as well.

One of my main problems with this is the inconsistency in firmness of resi mats used in competition. My gymnasts have competed on mats that are rock hard from being so new, so ones that are so soft they nearly collapse when trying to block because there is nothing to block from. Now I feel this problem will be amplified with them trying to block and land on their feet and not just block to a flatback.

What are other coaches opinion on this change and do y’all have any tips to conquering this vault? Thanks!

I am unsure what I think just yet. With the old vault, I felt like most of my kids transitioned to a pretty decent front handspring pretty seamlessly. The setup was a pain sometimes and I'm sure it was a hassle at meets, especially sessions with multiple levels.
I have used the new vault a little as a progression and I don't hate it. It does remove some of the fear element that surfaces when the table is added to the equation to really get the gymnast focusing on their run, hurdle, and body positions without worrying about landing on the table, all components I really like. But I also know kids who are pretty solid at this vault and can't mange a decent handspring. Though I haven't really used it enough to make any firm assessments about how well it transitions into handspring vaults down the road.
I agree with the issue with quality of mats. We attended one meet this year where the resi and 8" on top were absolutely terrible and the girls just squished into them. I can't imagine what this vault would look like on that setup.

I have used the new vault a little as a progression and I don't hate it. It does remove some of the fear element that surfaces when the table is added to the equation to really get the gymnast focusing on their run, hurdle, and body positions without worrying about landing on the table, all components I really like. But I also know kids who are pretty solid at this vault and can't mange a decent handspring. Though I haven't really used it enough to make any firm assessments about how well it transitions into handspring vaults down the road.
I agree with the issue with quality of mats. We attended one meet this year where the resi and 8" on top were absolutely terrible and the girls just squished into them. I can't imagine what this vault would look like on that setup.
If the resi is too soft, sometimes (if the meet is held in the host gym), you could put a panel mat over the resi for additional stiffness.

I like the idea of the vault. We also use it as a training tool. For our rising L4s, they do the FHS over the resi.
For our new Xcels, they do the "Roundoff" vault. Since these girls will most likely NOT transition to JO unless they are ready for L6 (because we dont let "young" ones do Xcel) we can just petition them in ... and they will NEVER have to do a FHS vault, lol.

We may (HC is still undecided) have 1-2 Silvers this year... and without this vault, that wouldnt even be in the back of her mind at all.

Ive used it as a drill and i dont think i would do it again. It was a bunch of put your hands down far away, muscle it up to handstand amd arch over. And some of that was done by kids who can do a pretty front handspring with good block over something similar to the old horse (only lower level compulsory uses it here). Most of them have never touched a real horse, i have no idea how their front handspring over that is.

The more I practice this vault, the more I hate it. I think it's fine for good vaulters who are almost ready to handspring over the table (or as a drill for those who already do), but for weaker vaulters it can get scary. Adding the whole landing piece for girls who struggled with the old Silver vault (or even Bronze) is downright scary as they just aren't ready for it. I think lots of Silvers can benefit from another year of a back landing vaulting to work at sorting out the hurdle-board hit-pre flight without worrying about the landing.

The more I practice this vault, the more I hate it. I think it's fine for good vaulters who are almost ready to handspring over the table (or as a drill for those who already do), but for weaker vaulters it can get scary. Adding the whole landing piece for girls who struggled with the old Silver vault (or even Bronze) is downright scary as they just aren't ready for it. I think lots of Silvers can benefit from another year of a back landing vaulting to work at sorting out the hurdle-board hit-pre flight without worrying about the landing.
Have your weaker vaulters do a roundoff instead of a FHS.

Hey all,

I was not very happy to receive the Xcel Updates recently, which had Xcel Silver now competing the same vault that JO Level 3 will be turning into in 2021. This is the descriptions of the two vaults allowed that I got in my updates email

Handspring over mat stack sideways
1/4-1/2 on, repulsion off to land facing mat stack

Mat stack 24’’-48’’ + 2’’, with 5’ width.

Emphasis on body shapes, not height or distance.

I was upset at this because when the survey for the upcoming compulsories came out, I sent feedback in with how much I loved the now-old Xcel Silver vault. Now they are changing the great Xcel Silver vault to something that I don’t think will work as well.

One of my main problems with this is the inconsistency in firmness of resi mats used in competition. My gymnasts have competed on mats that are rock hard from being so new, so ones that are so soft they nearly collapse when trying to block because there is nothing to block from. Now I feel this problem will be amplified with them trying to block and land on their feet and not just block to a flatback.

What are other coaches opinion on this change and do y’all have any tips to conquering this vault? Thanks!

I am not sure why I can’t understand what this vault is from the description. For some reason, none of the coaches (or owners) attended the congress this year. We are several weeks into summer training with a new group of ladies and have been strictly training flatbacks (well, for most of them it has been straight jumps onto the table, having to retrain most of the girls to hit the board with arms down and how to keep a straight, tight body, which somehow they come up to us not knowing how to do).

Anyway, can anybody explain this vault to me? Are they only using a mat stack or going over the vault table and landing on a mat stack?

1/4 or 1/2 on?

So confused!

I am not sure why I can’t understand what this vault is from the description. For some reason, none of the coaches (or owners) attended the congress this year. We are several weeks into summer training with a new group of ladies and have been strictly training flatbacks (well, for most of them it has been straight jumps onto the table, having to retrain most of the girls to hit the board with arms down and how to keep a straight, tight body, which somehow they come up to us not knowing how to do).

Anyway, can anybody explain this vault to me? Are they only using a mat stack or going over the vault table and landing on a mat stack?

1/4 or 1/2 on?

So confused!
They are going over a mat stack, landing on feet. Either front handspring or Roundoff over.

Basically this, but then the mat stack is turned 1/4, so they go over the short side instead of the long side

1/4 or 1/2 on?

So confused!

This video at 40 or 41 seconds.

A 1/4 -1/2 on is a "Roundoff" vault.

Most of my girls are actually doing really well with this vault. Obviously there are some form issues right now. But they all get over and land on their feet. I had a few girls who were VERY scary for the first few (I’ve had a girl break her toe on the landing of this a year ago when I used it as a drill). I had someone help me spot the landing on the other side of the mat for the first few for some. I would defiantly recommend this if they’ve never tried it before just for safety. But even my girls who were struggling the most are now consistently landing on their feet. Just took a lot of turns and getting used to it. We have a fairly new mat. I know I’m going to have to put a panel mat on some of the resi mats at the gyms we compete at. But I’m excited for something new.

After seeing some very nice front handsprings at the Gold level last year, I thought that the Xcel Program was onto something with the (now old) flatback UP to a higher flatback surface that they used last season. I am not loving this new vault mostly for logistical reasons during training, but at least they are allowed to do a 1/2 or 1/4 on, as that will be the saving grace for the kids who are not strong vaulters.

Is there any specific height requirement on this new vault? I believe level 3s can handstand flatback anywhere from 32" to 48", is it the same for this silver vault?

Edited: Whoops I see the original post has my answer!

I have looked all over the USAG website, especially the Xcel updates page, and cannot find anything about this new Xcel vault. I have read about this new vault option on other sites and forums, but I have found nothing from USAG. Would anyone be able to give the USAG source (a link or something), for this new vault, so I can update our teams Xcel Code of Points?
Thank You!!

I have looked all over the USAG website, especially the Xcel updates page, and cannot find anything about this new Xcel vault. I have read about this new vault option on other sites and forums, but I have found nothing from USAG. Would anyone be able to give the USAG source (a link or something), for this new vault, so I can update our teams Xcel Code of Points?
Thank You!!
There is a new code of points this year for Xcel(just like JO Optionals) that will go from 2018-2022. You need to either order the new paper book or buy and download the digital version.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back