Parents Newbie and flexibility question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MAcastsalot

Proud Parent
Hi, I'm new here! Quick intro- DD is 5 and recently was chosen for the level 2 team at a new gym. She is currently at a rec only gym, and she couldn't get enough gym time to satisfy her needs. Since she was advanced beyond her peers (they only do grouping by age), and she clearly has that inner drive for gymnastics, her coach suggested trying a gym with a JO program. I dragged my feet, but finally caved. She did an eval, and will start at the new gym after this season finishes. So onto my question: she is VERY strong, and any coach who has seen her in action has made a big deal out of her strength. Her flexibility, however, is lacking. For example, she can hold a bridge forever, but her shoulder muscles are so tight that it isn't pretty, and is making it tough for her to get her back walkover or whatever it is called. Besides concerns about injuries from improper form, I know that this is something that she will need to work on to be successful. She knows this as well, and is constantly trying to stretch (in a disorganized kindegartner sort of way). Are there any online resources where I could find the proper stretches to teach her? She needs her splits, too. Thanks!

I recently found an app called Stacey Nemour's Flexibility Now, and I really like it. It has a series of videos of stretches within the app, and is very comprehensive. It's more for leg than shoulder flexibility, but does have some upper body stretches. If she does bridges at home, have her put her feet on top of the couch so her back is straight and only her shoulders are curved.

Thanks for the app recommendation. I downloaded the free version for her to try tomorrow. I'm sure she will love doing bridges on the couch, since I have to tell her "no gymnastics on the furniture" about fifteen times daily!

My dd is also strong and not at all naturally flexible. She is 10 now and still can't hold a long bridge and her short bridge is hideous. She has worked hard and can do a beautiful walkover and handsprings. It will come as long as she keeps working at it.

My DD struggled with this as well. Her coaches love her for her strength...but her shoulders. Ugh. I found some videos on YouTube that were helpful for stretching.

Thanks for the input. That gives me hope that she will be able to progress if she puts in the effort. I'm off to search youtube!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back