Parents Newbie Gym Mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

LSlycord

I'm brand new at the gymnastics stuff...well about 18 months of watching my 5 and 6 yo. So, how do I learn more.

My 6 yo will probably be giving up gymnastics at the end of the school year. It's been great for his coordination but I think that's about it. On the other hand, my 5 yo loves it and I think that she may stick with it for awhile.

Is there anything that you would suggest for a parent who is just trying to learn what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I myself am also new to the world of gymnastics. I have a 5 y/o and 3 y/o girl who love gymnastics. My 5 y/o does gymnastics day and night. She is in 2 rec classes right now, but may go to preteam. I have found just "lurking" on this sight is helpful. I just am new to all that gymanstics is (I did other sports as a kid). I just want my kids to have fun and be happy. I would ask questions to her coaches or other parents as they come up so you can learn more. I know it is uncomfortable to ask, but that is how we learn. Good luck!

Don't be afraid to ask the other parents and the coaches questions. If your daughter seems talented and would like to try team then let the coaches know this. I know gyms that won't suggest kids for team unless a parent shows an interest as they need parents to give 100% support. Suggestions Plant a money tree because if she goes to team it can get expensive and most of all make sure she is having FUN and that she is doing it because she wants to do it? Welcome to the Gym Mom world

Keep it up as long as she's having fun. Maintain perspective :). And I echo what Cher said--don't be afraid to talk to other parents. If you hear parents chatting and they sound like team parents--ask them about it and how it works! We're usually happy to share :)

I agree with the other posters. As long as they have fun, the continue. Gymnastics is not for everyone just like other activities and not every girl likes to compete. Take it one step at a time and don't be afraid to ask coaches about progress in class.

Just sit back and enjoy watching your dds have fun!

On the other hand, my 5 yo loves it and I think that she may stick with it for awhile.

Is there anything that you would suggest for a parent who is just trying to learn what is going on?

1. Join Chalk Bucket. <ok... check... did that. >

2. .... umm.. I'll get back to you on this one.

3. If/when you can, stay and watch her gym sessions. Visual feedback = motivation for lil' ones. (i.e. Mom!...OMG!...did you see? did you see? I did it!") I think it's important that she sees that you saw, you see? Just - don't be a distraction to others.

4. Enjoy that she's having fun. It's most likely not a sport for her (yet), but recreational. Let her recreate. Lots of time to compete. No rush.

5. Don't be one of THOSE parents. Stick around, and you'll learn what that means. ;)

Last edited:
Don't be one of THOSE parents. Stick around, and you'll learn what that means. ;)

We should start a horror story thread . . . warning signs you're becoming one of THOSE parents. :eek:

LOL when you see THEM you'll know it. :p

Welcome to chalk bucket!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gymnastics. I also had no gymnastic background and was completely clueless when my girls started. Just watch and learn, it's amazing the things you can pick up on by talking to parents in the stands during your dd's class.

HMMMM - THOSE parents are not a good thing, have a few of them at our gym!!

One thing I had to learn as my daughter turned 5 was that most gyms have a rec track and a developmental track. If your child wants to do gymnastics as a sport instead of an activity, you usually get much more bang (skill / strength / flexibility per minute and per dollar) getting them into the developmental track, which is by invitation and / or evaluation. Also around here, there is very little information readily available (e.g., brochures) at most of the gyms about the developmental track. Also do not assume that your gym is automatically communicative about this to eligible kids in their rec program or gives a lot of info to the kids that are selected. I am aware of one gym where my DD is in a developmental class and I had to advocate for her to be there (and once placed it was clear it was the right decision) and another mom had her daughter in a developmental class also and had no idea that it was a feeder into the team.

That is what I learned with my 5 year old. In the last 6-7 months that she's been on a pre-team track she has made much greater progress in all areas than she would if she had been in rec classes, but initially I had to advocate for her to be there because of her personal goals. But now she's caught up to that group.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back