Parents Newbie mom needs advice please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you all for your insight and for suggesting I look elsewhere. I have never seen my girl so happy and now she wants to make them proud! I might always wonder if I should have waited for current gym to ask her to team but it may never have happened. How can 2 gyms see things so differently? I think it's because in rec her current gym just never really saw her potential for whatever reason.

It's because you have left crazytown.

Now leave quietly and don't look back. It's possible she may need to go there down the line. Tiptoe out the door so they don't remember you ever "left" them. Because Crazytown doesn't care that they never even put her on preteam and you don't owe them anything.

Congrats to your DD! Hooray!

I will add our name to the list of families who had to fight for their athlete to be noticed and find the right coaching team to believe in her. It is stressful as a parent wondering what to do in the middle of it, but finding the right fit is so worth the fight! Such a difference.

It's a good foundation for later levels and gets them used to a competition setting. In our state it's huge and the competition is fierce.
How many of those girls in the "fierce" compe

I will add our name to the list of families who had to fight for their athlete to be noticed and find the right coaching team to believe in her. It is stressful as a parent wondering what to do in the middle of it, but finding the right fit is so worth the fight! Such a difference.
I might need to be added to that group too!

Thank you! She is doing well and has made so much progress. She will likely be moved up to train level 3 this summer. We should find out very soon what the plan for her is.

Wonder how many of those girls in the "fierce" competition setting at levels 1-2 are still competing now?
why the cattiness? AAU is tough competition, that's all I was saying, that it isn't some easier way to compete compulsory. And I know several who are now training elite and level 8, 9, 10. So whatever.

Reactions: sce
That's not a good idea. External reward squashes motivation. So dumb. Maybe it motivates the people with the wallet.
What? My dd competes Level 1. What the heck do you mean by this? No one makes the team at her gym that is not qualified, even for level 1. And as a matter of fact, after their first competition, the girls who did not do well were suddenly motivated to do better because they wanted a medal and a trophy. So I don't think "external reward" squashed anything with these girls. It motivated them to do better.

Reactions: sce
why the cattiness? AAU is tough competition, that's all I was saying, that it isn't some easier way to compete compulsory. And I know several who are now training elite and level 8, 9, 10. So whatever.
And since I can't edit the post, it should say "Level 1" not AAU. And yes, I do know girls that have competed level 1 and are now at the highest levels.

Yes I'm with GA gym mom...I think all she meant was that the competition in level 1 and 2 can be very tough....that in some areas it's taken pretty seriously and girls score very well. We had multiple girls scoring 37-38 routinely in level 2.

Yes I'm with GA gym mom...I think all she meant was that the competition in level 1 and 2 can be very tough....that in some areas it's taken pretty seriously and girls score very well. We had multiple girls scoring 37-38 routinely in level 2.
That's exactly what I meant. That if the gym is competing it, or your daughter is competing it, its a good foundation. I never said it was necessary. My oldest daughter started at level 4. And her gym does not require levels 1-3, but if you don't have the skills for level 4 you are placed on 1, 2, 0r 3.

I wasn't trying to be catty. In my original post I stated that I belie
I was not trying to be catty and yes, I know that in some areas and some meets, levels 1-3 can be fierce competition. I also see some gyms who turn girls away at some of these developmental levels, perhaps due to age and not skill level, which I think is unfortunate. I watched little girls crying prior to going out for a level 2 practice the other night when I know some older girls (age 7-8) who would've jumped at the chance to have that opportunity. My point was more about the fact that maybe a high level of competition at the beginning levels can also drive some girls to quit earlier no matter how talented they are at the beginning levels.

I wasn't trying to be catty. In my original post I stated that I belie

I was not trying to be catty and yes, I know that in some areas and some meets, levels 1-3 can be fierce competition. I also see some gyms who turn girls away at some of these developmental levels, perhaps due to age and not skill level, which I think is unfortunate. I watched little girls crying prior to going out for a level 2 practice the other night when I know some older girls (age 7-8) who would've jumped at the chance to have that opportunity. My point was more about the fact that maybe a high level of competition at the beginning levels can also drive some girls to quit earlier no matter how talented they are at the beginning levels.

Imo, selecting only the youngest girls for team is a business strategy. The younger the girls are, the more apt the parents are to pay boatloads more money chasing dreams and there are less expectations (from the parents) to see major progressions. They can keep those girls much longer in those developmental levels, which = more $$$. And the truth is, many, many more girls quit than continue in the sport; several before any real coaching investment need be made.

Imo, selecting only the youngest girls for team is a business strategy. The younger the girls are, the more apt the parents are to pay boatloads more money chasing dreams and there are less expectations (from the parents) to see major progressions. They can keep those girls much longer in those developmental levels, which = more $$$. And the truth is, many, many more girls quit than continue in the sport; several before any real coaching investment need be made.
I will have to disagree. Age should not be a determining factor. I know gymnasts that started late in life and competed at very high levels. Telling a 9 year old they are too old is just silly. I've seen folks start in their teens and do just fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back