Parents Newbie Parent To Pre-Team with some q's

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TMK8950

Proud Parent
Hello all! We are new to gymnastics, my daughter is 6(7 Friday) and we have some questions regarding coaching styles. Quick background... She started at 6 in just rec gymnastics with the thought of eventually doing some sort of team. After her first 8 week session, one of the coaches pulled us aside and told us how talented she was and would like to put her on the team or pre-team or whatever. Now, she has done comp cheer and rec cheer so she has been coached, teamed and has performed in front of people. So, I stayed at her practice last night (MWF 3 hours per and 1 hour on sat) and I witnessed her get berated by the coach for having to use the bathroom, for the second time. Now I understand that they also need to teach them discipline, but is it normal for a coach to punish a whole team with calisthenics for a teammate not feeling well. My daughter could not keep her composure and started to cry, and that made the coach a little more mad. I reluctantly stayed out of it, I had played sports my whole life, so I get it. I just thought it was a little much for a 6 y.o. I have witnessed the coaches, 2 particular, do this to more than one kid and its seems like overkill. Am I crazy? Should I step in? Find a new gym? I am truly worried that she(and more) may loose the fire that really pushes her. Anyway, any thoughts would be great! Thanks!

Hello all! We are new to gymnastics, my daughter is 6(7 Friday) and we have some questions regarding coaching styles. Quick background... She started at 6 in just rec gymnastics with the thought of eventually doing some sort of team. After her first 8 week session, one of the coaches pulled us aside and told us how talented she was and would like to put her on the team or pre-team or whatever. Now, she has done comp cheer and rec cheer so she has been coached, teamed and has performed in front of people. So, I stayed at her practice last night (MWF 3 hours per and 1 hour on sat) and I witnessed her get berated by the coach for having to use the bathroom, for the second time. Now I understand that they also need to teach them discipline, but is it normal for a coach to punish a whole team with calisthenics for a teammate not feeling well. My daughter could not keep her composure and started to cry, and that made the coach a little more mad. I reluctantly stayed out of it, I had played sports my whole life, so I get it. I just thought it was a little much for a 6 y.o. I have witnessed the coaches, 2 particular, do this to more than one kid and its seems like overkill. Am I crazy? Should I step in? Find a new gym? I am truly worried that she(and more) may loose the fire that really pushes her. Anyway, any thoughts would be great! Thanks!
That is brutal. I would take it up with the gym owner.

That's awful. I as a coach sometimes get irritated when several girls ask to go to the bathroom after 10 minutes of warm up, and I remind them to go to the bathroom before the practice starts the next time so the class does not get interrupted at the very beginning. But of course I let them go and just ask them to remember better the next time. If they ask at the end of the practice I let them go without saying anything, it's ok to need to go to the bathroom 2 hours after the practice has started.

Well, I guess it's time to start looking at others. We only have a couple to choose from where we live, so, just start visiting I'm guessing?

Yes that is definitely reason for concern. In a 3 hour practice, they should be given regular breaks anyway to get water and use the restroom if needed. It seems that if they were doing that, then your dd might not have had to ask twice. I can understand it's frustrating for a coach when someone has to use the restroom (b/c with little kids, if one has to use the restroom they ALL have to use the restroom) but the bottom line is that they are little kids and they aren't always going to be able to wait, and should most definitely not be punished for it, especially at a sport that is supposed to be fun. I would be finding another gym ASAP.

Well, I guess it's time to start looking at others. We only have a couple to choose from where we live, so, just start visiting I'm guessing?

I agree with the other posters: Find a new gym. My DD did competitive cheer, as well. Punishing the whole team with burpees or suicide laps for one child not paying attention or a group not hitting an easy stunt they had all season was common. But everything on a cheer team had to be done together, in unison. I never found the punishments to be over the top. It seemed to make the girls encourage each other even more to pay attention and work together. But punishing the whole team because one person has to use the restroom... That is ridiculous, not to mention unhealthy.

On a side note: My DD used to take many, many bathroom breaks when she was with a coach that would scream at her team and didn't seem to know how to coach the 6-8 year old age group. My husband and I spoke with the owner and the coach worked really hard on changing how she communicated with the kids. As she did that, DD's need for multiple bathroom trips during practice disappeared.

Take your DD to the other area gyms for an evaluation and trial class. Be sure to closely observe how the coaches interact with all the gymnasts, not just the ones in class with your DD.

I really appreciate everyone's input, it looks like we have some visitations to schedule. One last question. Pricing is in line with what we have paid for cheer, but does $280/mo plus I think $400 yearly coaches fees sound about right?(Illinois).

That seems high to me but what do I know. DD is a new level 3 (9 hours) and we pay $260/month. We don't pay coaches fees but do have meet fees (around $1000 this year I think) and of course, team Leo/warm-up, etc...

That seems very pricey for pre team to me but we are in a different state/region so it's hard to say I know it can vary a lot by geographic area.

I'd add to this that you should first visit new gyms without your DD and just observe. The shiniest on the surface may not be the best match and your pre screening could prevent any disagreements with her in choosing the next gym.

I agree with gymbeam- go alone at first and then circle back to the ones you want to share with your DD. Make sure not to give her too many choices or false choices (ones you will shoot down anyway).

I also think your tuition is a little high- we pay $385 a month for 23 hours a week, but then I also think 10 hours a week is high hours for preteam.

I really appreciate everyone's input, it looks like we have some visitations to schedule. One last question. Pricing is in line with what we have paid for cheer, but does $280/mo plus I think $400 yearly coaches fees sound about right?(Illinois).
I've never seen coaches fees for pre-team. The tuition sounds ok though.

Once she is on team however, note that there will most likely be fees in addition to tuition and coaches fees. There also may be equipment fees, meet fees, you also pay for her USAG card every year, as well as possibly a registration fee (yearly cost). You also should inquire about the costs for the comp Leo/warm-ups/team bag/practice Leo, etc.
just a good idea to find out what all of it will cost up front so you're not blindsided, the costs can also make or brake this sport as even being a possibility for families.

Hope that helps.

I've never seen coaches fees for pre-team. The tuition sounds ok though.

Once she is on team however, note that there will most likely be fees in addition to tuition and coaches fees. There also may be equipment fees, meet fees, you also pay for her USAG card every year, as well as possibly a registration fee (yearly cost). You also should inquire about the costs for the comp Leo/warm-ups/team bag/practice Leo, etc.
just a good idea to find out what all of it will cost up front so you're not blindsided, the costs can also make or brake this sport as even being a possibility for families.

Hope that helps.

So, I say "pre-team" but she practices with the team. Her coach told us that the first comp would be in November and if she is ready, she will compete. So maybe I'm confused to what she is on. They did inform us of more costs later down the road with Leo's, grips etc. I really do appreciate everyone's help on here. I will be a frequent poster I'm sure as we delve into the gymnastics world further.

Yes, that sounds more like team to me. If they compete in November, leos will need to be ordered soon...we ordered this week. I will agree with the others here and say I would be finding a new gym ASAP. Being a tough coach is one thing, but berating a 6 year-old for having to use the restroom is not ok.

Yeah number one I'd find a new gym asap, don't buy the Leo for your current gym!

When you're searching for a new gym let them know she's training for level 3 which is what it sounds like per your description.

Good luck, and welcome!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back