Parents newbie question: how long do routines take to put together?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JumpingBean

Proud Parent
We just joined a new gym and dd got invited onto pre-team. Team and competing starts at level 4 (I am guessing she is level 2 just on observing what other kids are doing). She trains 6 hours a week and this is only her second month. The focus on skills and conditioning and since they don't compete, there are no routines. However, there will be a "fun in-house meet" in March that the pre-team is invited to. Of course dd wants to go with all her new friends. I am just curious what these kids would be expected to do there? Are they just going to throw something together for them in 1-2 weeks? Improvise (kidding)? We come from dance and things are way different there, of course.

At our previous gym when Dd was on pre team they usually taught them a modified version of theLevel 2 routines and yes usually they taught it last minute lol. The coaches are usually standing right out there beside them to remind them if they forget anything, so it's no biggie.

Skills and drills are all pieces. An actual routine comes together quickly..

My daughters current floor, in an hour and a half, then its practice and fine tuning.

The reality is we expect things to move quicker than they do. We think they are doing a whole bunch of "nothing" and then you go Wow when did the "get" that.

Its kind of like when someone who hasn't seen your child in a while goes holy cow that got so big. And you think really??? Because you see it every day..................

Deep breathes. It will be wonderful.

PS for perspective, the big moment of my girls first preteam show was a butt ugly cartwheel and an arabesque on the beam that I was pretty much convinced would never get higher then her calf.

Its all good.

Thank you :) It's not that I am stressing over it. It's more that I was surprised they were even invited given the structure of their training. It might be good for her to go to something fun and relaxed, that doesn't have to be perfect. She is excited for the training and works her little butt off but says she doesn't want to make team because competing "isn't for me." She dances 6 hours a week as well in a performance company and loves the stage and performing in front of people. But I think she is afraid of what a competition entails: an external ranking that might show her to be not as great as she thinks she is :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back