Parents Next level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym also does 4 to 6. Our girls just did a level 5 score out meet and will now compete level 6 in the fall. However, these girls spent the year uptraining, so they have the level 5/6 skills. As others have mentioned, level 5 is infamous for tough scoring and many local gyms who compete 5 have their girls go to 7 (this is according to our head coach). It does seem that the typical path is level 4 to 6 OR 5 to 7.

While it is not a USAG rule to need a back handspring on beam at 6, it is a requirement at our gym. Plus some tough bar skills (like flyaway and CHS and baby giants) make going 4 to 6 a good challenge, even if it is common. So, I would imagine that going from 4 to 7, especially if the girls are supposed to do giants at 7 in your gym, would be fairly difficult.

I wish your daughter a lot of luck! And this means no more level 4/5 music for you, which is a win!

And this means no more level 4/5 music for you, which is a win!

While that is my personal highlight of this season. Now that we are done with compulsory music whatever level she is at is fine (baring the occasional burst of crazy).

So far just about all our level 6/7 meets and compulsory levels mixed in the session. So I still had to listen to compulsory music. Just not for the whole session. :eek:

Absolutely. Once DD finished OLD L4 season, she tested out of NEW L4, L5, and competed L6 all within 3 months. I seriously questioned the coach's decision to advance her that quickly, but it was definitely the right decision for her. I think the coach really needs to be in tune with the gymnast both skill-wise and where she is mentally since sometimes it can be overwhelming for a young girl to master some of those scary skills so quickly. DD was a little older than most when she first started, so it made sense for her.

As you heard from the responses - going from 4-7 happens a lot. It doesn't seem to happen a lot for an entire group of girls though but maybe each gymmie in your group has the right skill and talent to make the jump successfully.

One thing that would concern me is that I'd want to make sure my athlete is receiving the proper strength and conditioning to safely make the jump. You've posted about your DD's back and you've also said there is at least one other afflicted with the same injury. Honestly, when I read it I assumed that your DD was already lower level optionals because that is where you typically see stress fractures pop up. I did not realize she was L4. A back injury at her age is concerning. If there are others on her team with the same injury, that raises a red flag. I'd want to make sure that any increase in hours and skill difficulty would not put her at greater risk for her back injury. I'd also be concerned for wrist issues popping up too. The skills will get quite a bit more difficult and your DD will be working towards them on a compressed timeline. I would be cautious that it's not too much too quickly when they are planning this for a bigger group.

My daughter did one meet to score out of level 5, then competed level 7, then level 8 then level 9 she repeated and will move to level 10 this next year. Repeating level 9 this year was a personal choice for her as she knew Level 10 bars would have been a struggle. Repeating level 9 and being able to continue to focus on improving her release on bars really helped her confidence. Next season will mean she has reached her goal of competing three years at level 10. Her next big goal is to do well at Westerns and to one day compete at a Division I college.

As you heard from the responses - going from 4-7 happens a lot. It doesn't seem to happen a lot for an entire group of girls though but maybe each gymmie in your group has the right skill and talent to make the jump successfully.

One thing that would concern me is that I'd want to make sure my athlete is receiving the proper strength and conditioning to safely make the jump. You've posted about your DD's back and you've also said there is at least one other afflicted with the same injury. Honestly, when I read it I assumed that your DD was already lower level optionals because that is where you typically see stress fractures pop up. I did not realize she was L4. A back injury at her age is concerning. If there are others on her team with the same injury, that raises a red flag. I'd want to make sure that any increase in hours and skill difficulty would not put her at greater risk for her back injury. I'd also be concerned for wrist issues popping up too. The skills will get quite a bit more difficult and your DD will be working towards them on a compressed timeline. I would be cautious that it's not too much too quickly when they are planning this for a bigger group.
She is one of the few that already have the skills to do L7 probably why injury accord...the other young lady with back isn't on our gym she is a friend of ours. I am definitely going to be more cautious about the strenuous hours and training.

My DD gym moved 3 of 6 to level 6 and the other 3 moved to 7...the 3 on level 6 had a great year! The 3 on level 7, not so much! All 3 girls had injuries, one was a season ending after only 2 meets and they all struggled! I wished they didn't rush them through.

My DD gym moved 3 of 6 to level 6 and the other 3 moved to 7...the 3 on level 6 had a great year! The 3 on level 7, not so much! All 3 girls had injuries, one was a season ending after only 2 meets and they all struggled! I wished they didn't rush them through.
Yes that is all our concern...do you think saying something might have helped

I don't think so. They had their mind made up in beginning of summer last year. Now 2 of 3 girls that were level 7 will be playing catch up because they want to push them up to level 8. Crazy! What's the rush??

Yes that is all our concern...do you think saying something might have helped
I think as parents, we have a say. They are our kids.

If I thought my daughter needed to slow down I would slow her down.

And in the interest of full disclosure my kid is on the slow track.................:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back