Parents Nile Wilson's dad talks to parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you are a gym parent, this is for you. I stumbled on to Nile and Neil's vlog a few weeks back. They are hilarious, but more than that their relationship is golden. This is an edited version of a talk Neil gave to parents at a gym club. Totally worth watching.

We love Neil and Nile in this house, love the relationship they have with each other and I strive to have a relationship with my kids like they have.

I’ve watched a lot of Nile’s videos. He is passionate about the sports and his family. He gets a bit much with the sales pitch for his merchandise but he’s building a brand, making a living and has a positive attitude.

Surprisingly, I have never stumbled across this vlog, but I watched this entire video and really enjoyed it! He seems like a wonderful parent! There is so much great advice and important reminders to help even seasoned parents of athletes keep their child's sport in perspective, but at the same time support them in reaching their full potential. Focus on building the person first, then the athlete. Focus on enjoyment, not outcome.

I love the part where he talked about using positive language! My oldest has remarked on many occasions how these sorts of corrections have always been the most effective in her training, rather than "don't flex you feet, don't bend your arms" sorts of comments. Positive phrasing can truly make a difference to the person you are trying to guide, and can influence how they speak to themselves.

I also relate to how it makes him feel when people say "you must be so proud". I can relate to being uncomfortable for a different reason though, being on the receiving end of that "compliment", for mostly only one of my children. I am sure people don't mean anything when they say this to me, but I have never known how to respond! Having multiple gymnasts who are each hardworking, dedicated, and talented in their own right, just because one is higher achieving than the others doesn't mean I am more proud of her! I am also incredibly proud of all of them for their kind hearts, positive attitudes and examples, sportsmanship, academics, and volunteerism, but don't typically hear "you must be so proud" about any of those things.

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing this! I am glad I took the time to watch and plan to watch it again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back