Off Topic NJ or Long Island NY

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I am planning a trip for hubby and I for when the girls go to IGC next year. We will be going to NYC for three nights, then I would love to go to the shore somewhere. It seems that the NJ shore or Long Island, NY are the best choices, considering driving distances etc.

Have any of you found that perfect little place? And are you willing to share the info with me?

I do not want to end up in a massive hotel, or a really cheesy motel full of kids. You know.... something almost romantic, but not full of four poster beds and flowers (hubby would die:eek::D).

I have been searching the web for days, but the area is so vast and I know nothing of the area outside of NYC. People say Cape May is lovely, but I fear it will be full of Quebeckers. :p

We don't gamble so I have already crossed Atlantic City off the list, unless it has more to offer than that. We like to walk, eat, read museums etc, but I am sure after NYC we will be happy with a view and a good book, oh and a few bottle of pinot grigio.

Ideas anyone? I am also open to other ideas in the general area, you know within 2 hours of IGC.

Been to both and it depends on what you are looking for.

The entire NJ shore is full of "beach towns", meaning boardwalks and hotels and stuff to do on the beach.

Long Island, for the most part, is more pristine when it comes to their beaches. The biggest and most famous, Jones Beach, is a state park, so you'll have to drive there everyday from a hotel in some place considerably less exciting.

Now if you are looking for that "charming" kind of place, then you've got Cape May in NJ, and on Long Island, you're pretty much out of luck unless you drive all the way out to the Hamptons. The Hamptons are beautiful, but they kind of cater to a "wealthy" crowd. And getting there is not fun either....you have to drive through NYC and the road out onto the Island is called the Long Island Expressway, and is nicknamed the "World's Longest Parking Lot".

So I would suggest Cape May or Wildwood in NJ. If you get bored, you can always take a day trip to Atlantic City. I doubt it will be full of people from Quebec though, most people seem to be from DC area, Philly area, or NYC area. Since it is so far from Canada, I guess most Canadians would prefer to fly, and if you are going to get on a plane, might as well go someplace with even better beaches like North Carolina or Florida.

I have to say I fell in love with Ocean City New Jersey! Kind of the best of both worlds(Wildwood & Cape May). I found Wildwood can be a bit "wild" lots of teens & college kids(IMHO), Cape May is very charming & quaint. OC NJ is nice combo of both. All three are actually close enough together you could spend a day at each & get the full "flavor" of NJ:D!

There is an OC NJ & an OC MD. I LOVE them both!!!:D OC MD is much bigger than OC NJ & has a little "busier" atmosphere, but not as "busy" as Wildwood. Both have clean beaches & nice boardwalks. Lots of activities for families or couples or you can just chill out. They don't seem to attract the "spring break" type crowd that Wildwood does. I highly recommend either place, but MD would be too far for Bog on this trip. I've never been to NY, so I can't comment about Long Island. But I think Ocean City NJ would be a great vacay for you Bog! Or Cape May if you want "quaint & romantic", it's also lovely, clean & on the more mature side(ie: No drunken teenagers shouting from hotel balconies, as I found a lot of in Wildwood:rolleyes:)!!! Wildwood & Atlantic City might be nice day trips for you, they're all within easy driving distance of each other.:D

Last edited:
Bah! Come further south next time so we can meet face to face!

At any rate, enjoy your trip.

My hubby has played golf down your way and says it is lovely, I am sure we'll get there one day. It's only when I travel that I realise just how huge North America is. Coming from England where you can drive into the sea in just a few hours, this continent is massive.

Be cool to meet you though GT.

So how about I book a nice hotel near a beach and you all come and see me, like all at the same time. Imagine the fun we could have!!!

Chalkbucket summer vacay!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back