Parents Non-gym folks just don't understand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow! I can't beleive how much homework your kids get in the 2nd garde! Is that normal. In my state 2nd graders are limited to 15 minutes of homework per night. Do your kids have difficulty getting it all done?

I would LOVE for dd to have only 15 min of homework. !!!! We were having a lot of difficulty getting her homework done. She is in gym from 4-6 Mon, Wed & Thurs. Her bus drops her off at 3:30pm, we live 15-20 min from the gym. by the time she gets her stuff back on and we get home it is 6:30 and we have to each, shower etc. That is when I started having her do some of her homework in the car, which seems to be helping. It usually takes her 30 - 45 min to do her homework. My 5th grader spends less time (partly because he is just better at school, part because she just takes forever !! ).

It is somewhat frustrating because as a parent I know that school must take priority over gym, but I don't want to take something she LOVES away, so I try to think 'outside the box' to get it done.

Wow! I can't beleive how much homework your kids get in the 2nd garde! Is that normal. In my state 2nd graders are limited to 15 minutes of homework per night. Do your kids have difficulty getting it all done?

I think there is a general rule, but not adhered to equally. My DD's teacher gives at least 30-45 mins per night, sometimes longer. Her twin brother who is in a diferent class will get 10-15 min/night. His class is 5 weeks behind hers in reading and spelling. DD's teacher pushes them for perfection. It is very frustrating on a parent's part to see your child try and do their best, and still gets knocked down! She gets straight A's and still the teacher always writes some "constructive criticism" on her report card!

Almost as a rule, gymnast are excellent students. The discipline they learn in the gym carries over into school. My daughter (11) attends a very challenging all-girls school and is an excellent student. She knows she has a limited amount of time so she prepares early. She studies in the car, on breaks, over the weekend, whenever. She knows she can't wait until the last minute to work on a project like her friends. We have a calendar and she prepares the weekend before. In carpool at her previous gym, we had several high school lvl 10s. They were all in Honors and AP classes. They have all gone on to compete at the collegiate level now, 2 at Auburn, 1 Alabama, and 1 at Utah State. I wouldn't worry so much about school. I think gymnastics makes them better students.

Almost as a rule, gymnast are excellent students. The discipline they learn in the gym carries over into school. My daughter (11) attends a very challenging all-girls school and is an excellent student. She knows she has a limited amount of time so she prepares early. She studies in the car, on breaks, over the weekend, whenever. She knows she can't wait until the last minute to work on a project like her friends. We have a calendar and she prepares the weekend before. In carpool at her previous gym, we had several high school lvl 10s. They were all in Honors and AP classes. They have all gone on to compete at the collegiate level now, 2 at Auburn, 1 Alabama, and 1 at Utah State. I wouldn't worry so much about school. I think gymnastics makes them better students.

I sure hope so !! Right now dd seems to struggle some w/ math. She is a smart girl but you have to pull it all out of her and she does not have confidence in school. Now, stick the shy, not confident girl in the gym.................. totally different kid.

I've had similar experiences and I'm sure everyone with a child in gym has. I tell them that my daughter is the captain of this ship, I just do the driving and pay the tuition and fees! She knows that whenever she is done,all she has to do is say the word and we'll be on our way. If they are not there at the meets to see how much joy it gives her, they really can't understand. Just be secure in the fact that you know and love your daughter better than anyone, yes, even better than the coaches! and you will always do whatever is best for her!

I ventured an attempt to tell my mother (DD's grandma) about the new gym. Her only question was 'how many days will she practice' and when I told her 3, she said 'why do they think a 6 year old needs to be in the gym so much?" I said, "SOOO!!! What are you and Dad doing this weekend?" :D

Shawn-too funny..way to change the subject. My parents are so like that. They have some understanding of how important it is to go to the gym but they still complain about it. Especially private lessons. Then they said that they did not feel my dd was dedicated. Ha her coach thinks she is oneof the most dedicated on the team. I dont get it. Just because she did not place at the last meet. She scored a 32.00..down from her best.

Medic- are you sure we're not long lost sisters with the same parents? ;)

Seriously, how can dedication be related to one "bad" meet? And 32 AA isn't even bad! *sigh* That's why I say "non-gym folks just don't understand"! :D

They don't ....I did this awsome collage with all her meet pics at Walmart today. I brought them a copy and they were like oh nice,,,no big deal.it was awesome...it had all the awards pics and she looked so happy..I loved it. Oh well

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back