Parents Non-Gymnastics Class Types

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FlipnFun

Coach
Proud Parent
We opened a new gym and struggling to meet the numbers, we introduced Ninja class which was a HUGE hit but COVID closure did us no favors and most parents have chosen to stay home longer and not return to the gym just yet.

AS PARENTS, apart from the regular gymnastics, what classes do you feel your children would enjoy? Using gym apparatus (or not) .. we currently offer a Rhythmic Dance class/Ninja/Gym Games. is there anything else I could offer?

What about conditioning for other sports---like a cross training type thing? We had Arial Silks at our gym for a bit but not sure that did well (the girl was responsible for promoting herself and not sure how good she did at that). Maybe a stretching and flexibility class? If dance studios around dont offer any "acro" type classes you could do an "Acro for Dance" type class not as intense as tumbling for those that dont need full tumbling skills. Cheerleading classes could be good working on flexibility and jumps and cheer tumbling. Maybe some sort of stunt class? Learn how to fall and tumble for action stunts?

Our gym has Intro to Sports which mostly draws young boys and works on the basics of running, throwing, catching, etc.

We have a homeschool PE class and a homeschool gymnastics class.

Our adult gymnastics class is pretty popular.

There is a gym near me that offers an adult gymnastics class. I went once but it draws mostly former gymnasts who want to play and was very skill-oriented so I didn’t quite belong. If any local gym offered an adult class for beginners that was focused on improving strength/flexibility through a group conditioning program and by utilizing fun progressions for basic gymnastics skills, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Maybe not necessarily ‘classes’, but open gyms during the day for preschool aged kids of stay at home moms.
Our gym also offers drop-in ‘camps’ during the day which is smart because it appeals to parents who are working at home and might have something important to do on a certain day and can send kids away for a reasonable price that would be cheaper than a babysitter or daycare. If they go to camp, it might spark interest in rec classes.
Trampoline and Tumbling could be something you could try. It attracts a lot of boys who don’t want to commit to gymnastics but it’s close enough.

Some great ideas in here. I'd definitely suggest an open gym time. I relied heavily on times like that when my kids were little. We had a gym near us offer cheer classes. They were geared toward helping girls make their school's cheer team and it seemed super popular (vs. with the intent of having a cheer team). I also love the idea of conditioning for other sports. Playing off the suggestion for adult gym classes -- do you have a space where you could offer barre, pilates, yoga, etc?

Thank you all so much for your help. This has given me some great ideas, schools are opening in September but in bubbles, meaning I can offer morning classes as well.

Some great ideas in here. I'd definitely suggest an open gym time. I relied heavily on times like that when my kids were little. We had a gym near us offer cheer classes. They were geared toward helping girls make their school's cheer team and it seemed super popular (vs. with the intent of having a cheer team). I also love the idea of conditioning for other sports. Playing off the suggestion for adult gym classes -- do you have a space where you could offer barre, pilates, yoga, etc?
We Have a yoga studio a few doors down, so tapping into that was a HUGE no for me.

You could tap into the same demographic by offering a gymnastics based adult fitness class, I would stress strength and flexibility using therabands and body weight as resistance. If/ when you have team I would offer adult classes at a discounted rate if they have a child enrolled and offer them at the time when you have the most children.

Oh yeah, we also have an adult boot camp class in the evenings, a women's lifting/strength class during the days, and speed classes. Our owners have the expertise in those fields though, so we can offer a lot of strength and conditioning stuff.

We have cheer tryout prep as well that is wildly popular, but again, one owner has that background and it's the class' success rate that makes it so in demand.

Times are tough. Our gym does clinics which grabs short term attention because people don't want to fully commit. You can do tumbling classes that might pull in cheerleaders, parkour, bar clinics, beam clinics, or strength conditioning.

Our gym has two levels for adults, which caters for beginners and advanced (mostly ex competitive) as well as both levels for just tumbling.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back