Parents normal conditioning for preteam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym has been very conservative with COVID. We still are dropping off by car with the lobby/viewing area closed. Rationale has been that so many of the gymnasts are NOT vaccinated (too young). Interesting if this will change now that they are starting to get vaccinated.

That being said, we do have closed circuit TV viewing and there are some large windows from outside where you can see most of what is happening. I also suspect that if someone really had concerns, they may at this point make an exception. (Pre-COVID the lobby always lots people.) Anyways, I'll be interested to see if they go back to pre-COVID ways as the younger kids are able to be vaccinated now.

But it is interesting that it would be a safe sport violation not to allow parents to watch. Parents can’t watch what their kids do in the class room at school, or in sports class at school.

Most places like dance studios, drama schools, music schools, art classes, language classes, private music lessons etc would never be able to have parents watch. Their activities are done in rooms, the way the room is set up having parents in would be disruptive and change the dynamic of the class, as well as often use up too much space.

Of course most gyms aren’t like this, and they are more spacious, so a viewing area can be made available. But it’s not always a realistic expectation.
With the exception of in the school building during school hours. I can watch anything my kid does. And I wouldn’t have her in any class, sport or lesson that didn’t have an open door policy. including daycare/pre-K. When I chose the place, if I couldn’t pop in, they were off my list. And no, I don’t and never did regularly pop in and disrupt things. But my minor child I get access. And even elementary school I went to class several times a year, to volunteer etc…. So I could see the class environment.

And sadly due to all the past horror that was (is?) gymnastics it should not be a surprise it’s actually in the rules. In our gym the kids can’t have a private lesson without the paren/guardian there.

Our gym allows parents to watch workouts. There's a seating area for parents with wifi. There are also cameras around the gym, which parents can access remotely, via the gym's website, so we can watch anywhere. 100 of any exercise seems extreme, as does the ice bath! I'd insist on being able to watch at least one practice.

This sounds very similar to my daughter's preteam experience - and we ended up changing gyms. They were doing crazy strict conditioning with frequency like you mentioned...and if they even did as much as a cartwheel while waiting in line or moving stations they had to take a time out. She hated it and after I watched a few practices, I could see why. We moved her and the new gym placed her on a Silver Xcel team and she is LOVING IT. I will say that her strength is unreal (and she's a very, very small kid) so it did help prepare her to take off with her skills, but at this age she's supposed to be having fun. For what it's worth, our new gym's preteam is a mix of conditioning and skill development and whenever I happen to see them, all the kids are having a blast while learning a foundation for gymnastics. Good luck!

We do some conditioning in preteam, usually each rotation has a few conditioning stations mixed in to skill stations. But so much conditioning an ice bath is suggested…that’s nuts and a recipe for burnout.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I did end up talking to the head coach and things improved basically overnight. No more conditioning to that level is happening and my daughter is really happy to go to practice again.
So great that they listened!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back