Parents normal conditioning for preteam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GYMmom2021

Proud Parent
My 6 year old is on preteam at her gym, and they've had a few coaching changes over the summer and fall. The current coach seems to really push them for conditioning. I wasn't a gymnast myself, so I'm wondering what is normal for the age/level. She says they do 100 frog jumps multiple times in practice and the coach told them to take an ice bath. Is that even safe for kids this young? I'm thinking of talking to the head coach because I didn't hear things like this with any of the prior coaches, but again, I have no idea what is normal. Hoping to get some advice!

I would watch practice to get a better idea of what is really going on. I do not feel it’s appropriate for pre team to take ice baths. I can understand level 9, 10 maybe 8 but not preteam.

I would watch practice to get a better idea of what is really going on. I do not feel it’s appropriate for pre team to take ice baths. I can understand level 9, 10 maybe 8 but not preteam.
Unfortunately parents aren’t allowed in the gym still for covid precautions. I wish I could!

I don't feel that the ice bath is appropriate either. My dd is starting her 8th season competing and this has never been suggested to us. She has also had hard conditioning some days but 100 reps of anything especially multiple times does not sound good. How many hours a week does the pre-team practice?

I don't feel that the ice bath is appropriate either. My dd is starting her 8th season competing and this has never been suggested to us. She has also had hard conditioning some days but 100 reps of anything especially multiple times does not sound good. How many hours a week does the pre-team practice?
4 hrs total, 2hrs twice a week. And they are mostly 6-7 year olds.

100 anything is pointless and bad. Have a word with someone or send a general email asking about it.

In the abstract, I do think conditioning should be a very high priority at all levels, especially preterm. I'd even go so far as to say that physical preparation (including conditioning, shaping, handstand basics, flexibility, and prehab) should be the primary focus, with skill training being the secondary focus.

Having said that, efficient conditioning should generally focus on perfect execution at low numbers and medium-to-high intensity. My usual rule of thumb is that if they're going past 20 of any exercise in a set, they should be doing a harder exercise, not higher numbers. There are exceptions for very-low-intensity exercises such as jumping rope, but most of the time if they're doing sets of 100, then they probably aren't training efficiently.

In addition, I'm skeptical that a preteam kid is even able to do 100 consecutive frog jumps correctly. And when you give a young athlete an assignment they are not capable of doing correctly, what you're really tilling them is "I want you to cheat on this assignment and then lie to me about having done it all"

Last edited:
Just to add to the covid restrictions thing- I live in a county where restrictions are still pretty extreme, and parents have been able to watch practice in person at our gym for several months as long as they wear a mask. I suggest check what the rules are with your county health department.

Interesting about allowing parents to watch. For the record in my gym, I have always allowed parents to watch. Even during COVID restrictions, they could watch from outdoors (we have large roller doors).

I feel it keeps us covered, at any point a Parent can see what we are doing and they know how we speak to the kids and how we treat the kids etc. And of course we are proud of the great things we are doing in classes and are excited to let the parents see their kids in action.

But it is interesting that it would be a safe sport violation not to allow parents to watch. Parents can’t watch what their kids do in the class room at school, or in sports class at school.

Most places like dance studios, drama schools, music schools, art classes, language classes, private music lessons etc would never be able to have parents watch. Their activities are done in rooms, the way the room is set up having parents in would be disruptive and change the dynamic of the class, as well as often use up too much space.

Of course most gyms aren’t like this, and they are more spacious, so a viewing area can be made available. But it’s not always a realistic expectation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back