Normal Gym Management???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks!
I really appreciate that. it really is very enlightening and pretty much puts a fine point on the arguement. gattaca wants to sposor whomever they want directly without going through the "established channels". If I were USAG i would be, and the seem to be, concered about the appearance of compensation rather than sponsorship. [ just saw your earlier post saying that gymnasts dont receive money directly so this previous point about compensation may not apply in terms of indovidual gymnasts]

It also fits what we have seen locally regarding gattaca's default approach of getting what they want by trash talking those in their way.

I never saw this article but, i did see one where the head guy at gattaca (manuel i guess) wants to run an "annual gymnastics event" combining competition with other types of "entertainment". reading between the lines, and seeing their apprach, it sure sounds like an alternate to USAG sponsored "nationals". The article where this appeared was written like it was an interview but it was clearly a gattaca generated press release disguised as an interview.

Thanks again for this

Last edited by a moderator:
your comments do seem accurate in terms of what we know right now. it it verifies much of what we have heard. at the end of the day, in terms of my daughter who did quite well under natalia, we are more than willing to give Gabby (natalia's second in command) a chnace as she is very capable.

we'll see what their interest is in terms of the girls team as time progresses.

thanks for the info!

Thanks for your enlightenment Bog. It is what I summised. My daughter is not in pre-school (and I won't tell her you said she is :_), she's in 1st grade. She's on pre-team. I know it is early for her and you are correct that the problems don't necessarily effect her directly. However, she is very aware of what has occurred, what is going on and she doesn't like it. I don't like the quality of the coaching on the girls' side. Coaches leave and they are not replaced. Additionally, I cannot stand the management there. They are so out of touch with how to run a business. We've started at Parkettes and we will wait and see what happens.

Last edited:
One more thing to add....

What disturbs me the most about them firing Natalia, is that they did it 1 week before states. Firing Natalia was not a smart move, but Natalia is a big girl and she will land on her feet. However, it is so sad what they did to that girls' team. The gym is just so empty right now. Just seemed like such a low blow. They could have waited until the season is over. Just so not nice.

your comments do seem accurate in terms of what we know right now. it it verifies much of what we have heard. at the end of the day, in terms of my daughter who did quite well under natalia, we are more than willing to give Gabby (natalia's second in command) a chnace as she is very capable.

we'll see what their interest is in terms of the girls team as time progresses.

thanks for the info!

Thanks Mellin. I hope things work out for your daughter.

Hey mtb,

Sorry about the assumption. Based on your comments it may be time to look for a new gym. PM nettyinpa, one of our members, she has a young DD at Parkettes and seems very happy with the training there. Maybe she could be a good support.

There is nothing worse than feeling as though you are getting the sharp end of the stick.

I agree 100% that the way Nathalia was let go was unbelievable, as I have said before "who could fire Nathalia Yurchenko".

I wish you both luck for the futurs.

What I know for sure is that for this issue to generate this much interest means that there is a real problem, your instincts are correct, you just have to decide how to act on this.

Best wishes, Bog.

Hey mtb,

Sorry about the assumption. Based on your comments it may be time to look for a new gym. PM nettyinpa, one of our members, she has a young DD at Parkettes and seems very happy with the training there. Maybe she could be a good support.
Oh, don't worry about the assumption... It just made me laugh if my daughter saw that you thought she was a pre-schooler... LOL!

Already pm'd Netty and we had a long chat on the phone. She's a big reason why were coming over. It is nice to hear from a parent. The good, bad, indifferent. Mostly good over there and at least it is where most of the girls are and Natalia. DD loves it. She is planning on giving Goodbye cards to all her friends at LVSA. Her last day will be next week. I think it will be difficult for her to say goodbye, but she's a strong girl.

Anyway, I gotta go. Thanks again everyone for all of your comments...

Nothing surprises me in this sport! I've heard it all. I heard of a gymie from our former gym that was not allowed to take a family vacation one summer. If she did, she would not be moved to the next level. So guess what? The entire family stayed home! To me, that's crazy! How do these coaches get away with that? Another coach (from the same gym) would not allow a gymnast (my dd) from competing floor at one particular meet. The reason: She would most likely score in the 7's because of tumbling issues, and since scores start at the bottom and tend to increase during a meet, she was afraid that my dd would "hold them back" a few points. I was on the verge of filing a complaint with the USAG.

It's a shame that gymnastics is such a tough sport and takes SO many hours, but that is reality. For all I know that gymnast's family vacation could have been a month long, and if a child is missing a month or even 2-3 weeks of gym right before season, especially if she was borderline moving up anyway, I don't think you realize how hard it would be for her to do her stuff for the next level. It appears it was that family's CHOICE to stay home. I guess their gymnast moving up was more important to them than going away. And is it fair to the other girls who were there working all summer without missing more than a week or so?

As for the gymnast who wasn't allowed to compete floor because of tumbling issues, why would you WANT her to compete an event that she wasn't ready on? If it's a competitive team program as opposed to a recreational one, that is a totally normal situation. Competing at a certain level and moving up is a privilege that needs to be earned, and if it's not earned it shouldn't be granted.

That's my opinion, anyway, but each team program is different. You can't expect the program to bend or change to what you would want it to be, you just need to find the program that is right for you. Different gyms for different kids, no gym is good or bad.

The policy about not going to other gyms was implemented by Natalia herself with the approval the Administration due to some gym hopping problems a few years ago.

THERE WAS A MEETING about Natalia's dismissal for the team parents. Pre-team parents probably weren't invited - neither were the remaining coaches as we were out on the floor coaching.

THERE ARE NOT 80 girls on the team.

There are:
now LESS THAN 20 Level 7 & up optional.
with Three optional coaches

no L6's
10 - L5's (one main coach w/ help from optional coaches)
9 - L4's (usually 2 coaches ) - WE HAVE TWO 2008 PA STATE ALL AROUND CHAMPIONS )
7 - L3 one coach

There are only 9 DEVOS in your daughter's group (now that your daughter is gone).
9 girls - with two coaches!!! that is a VERY LOW student/coach ratio.

It's hard enough with Gattaca moving in and Natalia leaving without having to read here about how terrible you think my coaching is. Just for the record, I coached all the girls L7 and under through their compulsory levels...and I coached my daughter through level 8 and she is competing in college now.

There are some people, including NATALIA YURCHENKO who have complimented me highly for the work I do and how well I do it. In fact, I was brought back to this gym 2 1/2 years ago at her request, so, yes, I feel lost.

Please, remember there are human beings on the other side of this message board.

I know that the real issue for you was that we were not comfortable moving your daughter to Level 4 yet. At least say that... don't complain about a 5 -1 ratio or that the coaches are no good!

I hope she does well at the new gym.

Some inside info...

Since you are slightly misinformed:

The policy about not going to other gyms was implemented by Natalia herself with the approval the Administration due to some gym hopping problems a few years ago.

THERE WAS A MEETING about Natalia's dismissal for the team parents. Pre-team parents probably weren't invited - neither were the remaining coaches as we were out on the floor coaching.

THERE ARE NOT 80 girls on the team.

There are:
now LESS THAN 20 Level 7 & up optional.
with Three optional coaches

no L6's
10 - L5's (one main coach w/ help from optional coaches)
9 - L4's (usually 2 coaches ) - WE HAVE TWO 2008 PA STATE ALL AROUND CHAMPIONS in this group)
7 - L3's one coach occassional help

There were only 10 DEVOS in your daughter's group (9 now that your daughter is gone).
9 girls - with two coaches!!! that is a VERY LOW student/coach ratio.

It's hard enough with Gattaca moving in and Natalia leaving without having to read here about how terrible you think my coaching is. Just for the record, I coached all the girls L7 and under through their compulsory levels...and I coached my daughter through level 8 and she is competing in college now.

There are some people, including NATALIA YURCHENKO who have complimented me highly for the work I do and how well I do it.

Please, remember there are human beings on the other side of this message board.

Perhaps the real issue for you was that we were not comfortable moving your daughter to Level 4 yet.
At least say that... don't complain about a 5 -1 ratio or that the coaches are no good!

That being said, I hope she does well at the new gym.

First of all, I did attempt to be anonymous.... However, everyone figured out what gym rather quickly.

As for the number of girls, sorry for the miscalculation...

I thought there were about 80 girls prior to the mass exodus. I was just asking the question to see if it is the norm. I was speaking to all the levels, not just devos. In addition there have been as many as 16 devos I believe at the beginning of the summer, could be wrong though. I know there were a lot.

For your information, it is not about level 4, which I don't recall ever asking her to be moved to level 4. That is NOT why we made the change. The reasons for leaving will not be discussed in a public forum. Those reasons are in my formal letter regarding our departure. I never said I didn't like your coaching or anyone else's. I said I wasn't thrilled with it.

You're right. There are human beings involved. However, I'm much more concerned with the human beings under the age of 18.

Last edited:
For lower level classes (ie level 2-3 or pre team) up to 12 gymnasts to a coach would be ideal. If you have smaller classes at this level, you are either very lucky or paying a lot. For the compulsary levels (level 4 and 5) up to 10 gymnasts to a coach is quite safe and successful with a god coach. And for optional levels (7-10) you would want 8 gymnasts to a coach as the maximum.

With that being said, sounds like the ratios are much better than the norm.

It already happened Lannamativity!

It is a long and winding road these PA parents travel.

Amazing that they have two "high":eek: level gyms in such a small town.

Not a choice I'd make for sure, but then what do I know living in small town Quebec???

By the way, the GGMB thread is even longer now, I am amazed, our gym is too dull to generate this amount of gossip!

You're right. There are human beings involved. However, I'm much more concerned with the human beings under the age of 18.

I only wish all parents and coaches thought like this. Too often it seems like parent/coach politics and gossip ruins it for the under 18 athletes.

LVSA/Natalia/GYMPERSON

GYMPERSON is a great coach. she was one of the best coaches i have ever had, and she still helps me out even though i am no longer in one of her groups. She is also right; There was a meeting, there were some issues. Some thing may not have been handled as well as they should have been, but i believe that they have worked out for the best in the long run. I as well hope that Natali adoes well at her new gym (Parkettes).

:eek:

1.) i don't think a coach should be able to tell you what to do with your child in the sense that you can't experiment with other places. i know of a lot of gyms that have visitor programs where you can go visit them for a week or so and see if you like it, so obviously there are gyms that will allow their kids to try other places if they are not happy, including mine.
3.) we have a total of 8 coaches for levels 7-10, so to me 2 coaches for 80 girls is crazy!!! if the girls are learning a lot and are happy with the attention they are getting in the gym then i guess it wouldn't be a problem, but my guess is that that's not the case.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back