Parents Northern Virginia (Middleburg area)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kingmank

Proud Parent
My family and I are moving from Houston Texas area to Middleburg Virginia sometime in the summer of 2022. My daughter is in 5th grade and competing Level 7 optionals in Texas this season. We are looking at houses and she is practicing at both Capital Gymnastics in Burke today and Metroplex (Mega) in Lorton tomorrow. Can anyone on this forum provide me with their thoughts on these two gyms or let me know if there are others we should be looking at as well? Capital is about a 50 minute drive from my mothers and Mega is even farther. She is homeschooled so Capital is the only one that I know that has hours that has a homeschool program. Are there any others?

We have competed against Capital and they seem to have a strong program. I’m not sure how far you would be from Paragon, but that is also another strong team. I am not in Northern VA so I am unaware of the culture of those gyms, only what I have observed during meets. Apollo could also be an option depending on where in Middleburg you are located.

We have competed against Chantilly in the past and they typically scored well but are a smaller team, I believe.

We just recently completed against Capital (L4). Their L7 team was very strong, 16 girls competed. They have a good size program and clearly push the "small things" to obtain high scores. nearly 1/2 the L7 team scored 37s at one of the first meets of the year.

Based on what I saw from coaches, parents, and the gymnasts, I would easily consider them as a gym option if we lived in VA. From what I can tell, their girls do a full year of L4, L5, and L6. You might find your daughter could be on the younger end of their team.

I'm in the Northern VA area. Capital has a very strong program and is always one of the top teams in our local meets. As you've mentioned, they have a program for home schoolers. We have a couple of friends that have gone there - some who have loved it and thrived; others that have struggled with the culture.

Other options that could be closer to you would include GMS Gymnastics, APEX, G-Force and Chantilly Academy. I am not aware of any home school programs with those gyms. Please feel free to message me if you'd like to talk privately.

We just recently completed against Capital (L4). Their L7 team was very strong, 16 girls competed. They have a good size program and clearly push the "small things" to obtain high scores. nearly 1/2 the L7 team scored 37s at one of the first meets of the year.

Based on what I saw from coaches, parents, and the gymnasts, I would easily consider them as a gym option if we lived in VA. From what I can tell, their girls do a full year of L4, L5, and L6. You might find your daughter could be on the younger end of their team.
Thank you this is helpful. The girls all had exceptional skills. My daughter was extremely impressed and said that the L6 girls had many skills that the L7 girls at her home gym do not have.

My daughter competed in northern Virginia for years, so I am very familiar with the gyms that have been mentioned. In my experience, Capital has had the most success in placing girls with college programs (followed by Apollo and GMS), but they also have the reputation as being the most intense. Apex and GMS are probably the closest to Middleburg in terms of gyms with level 10s. Hills is a Maryland gym that is a little further away, but also very high quality in terms of gymnasts and college opportunities. I know a girl that lived in Loudoun county (which I think is where Middleburg sits) and competed at Hills, so the commute can work (she got a gymnastics scholarship to very high quality D1 school). One of DD's team mates transferred to Capital a few years and she got a full scholarship as well.

My family and I are moving from Houston Texas area to Middleburg Virginia sometime in the summer of 2022. My daughter is in 5th grade and competing Level 7 optionals in Texas this season. We are looking at houses and she is practicing at both Capital Gymnastics in Burke today and Metroplex (Mega) in Lorton tomorrow. Can anyone on this forum provide me with their thoughts on these two gyms or let me know if there are others we should be looking at as well? Capital is about a 50 minute drive from my mothers and Mega is even farther. She is homeschooled so Capital is the only one that I know that has hours that has a homeschool program. Are there any others?
My daughter was at Capital for a long time and loved it. They have good coaches and options for homeschool versus in person. I am not familiar with Metroplex but commute is KEY. Depends where you will be working. Hills in Maryland is also excellent and if you will be working in DC can be a good option.

I completely agree with Lovofu. My DD went to Capital from L6 on and loved it there. It does have the reputation of being intense, but that is lessening a bit as time goes on.

It is a large gym, so that is something to consider as well. Lots of teammates and always busy. Some love that aspect and some prefer smaller (my DD started at a very small gym and preferred the size of Capital). We are in Loudoun County and familiar with other gyms in the area as well. There are gyms closer to Middleburg, but anything will be a drive.

Happy to answer any questions you might have. Welcome to VA!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back